Crimping pliers, any recommendations?

So I'm looking for a pair of crimping pliers and would love some advice from all the great beaders out there. I was thinking about the "magical crimp forming" pliers I saw on the Rio Grande site. Any thoughts?

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea...=GRID&free_text|1282460095031=crimping+pliers

Those look good, Donna, assuming that you're using the specified type of crimp beads. I got some a while back from a beading shop that don't specify that limitation, but they're probably the same idea, and they work great, giving a nicely rounded crimp rather than an ugly sharp flattened blob. Definitely a good investment for a beader!

Sheri

In case you didn't already know of them, there are some great crimp beads that you just flatten with regular pliers: Twisted Tornado crimps. Here they are:
http://twistedtornadocrimp.com/

Many sellers carry them, even our local beading supply shops, which is where I first bought mine.

I used to use the kind that you shape into a ball with crimping pliers, but I actually like the finished look of the Twisted Tornado ones more. And, they're so easy to use.

Thanks Sheri and Pearl Dreams! I appreciate the help!

Hi guys - In general, do you think you get better prices buying these from your local bead shop (say, on sale) or online from the website (if you include shipping and handling)? I wouldn't bother you w the question but I don't get to shops often, which makes price comparisons tough. Thanks for your opinions,
Lisa C

I've generally bought my tools through jeweler supply companies, either online or in store. Haven't tried shopping at a local bead store. Sometimes if you go to tradeshows, like gem faire or intergem you can get bargains there.

Thanks Donna! That's what I thought, but you never know. Sometimes what makes sense to me isn't borne (sp?) out by fact.

I think the closest bead/gem fair to Pittsburgh is in Ohio, or at least that's where a local shop owner goes. I think a few years ago there was a show at the Expo on the other side of the city, but I haven't heard of one in a while...

I looked at the Tornado Crimps, too. They look pretty good.

The crimp that is shaped like a little ball doesn't have as much surface crimped against the wire and might come loose. I generally only use double ring clam shell cups to tie off and glue my wire inside the cup, unless I knot and do the gimp thing. I won't sell anything unless I'm sure it won't pull apart. One good 8 month old kid can destroy a necklace in 3 seconds. ;)

I am going to be doing something with the tornado crimps now as it's a design necessity. Ira and Pam from Via Murano are great. Coincidentally, I'm going to see them tonight and pick up some supplies. Woo Hoo - Gem Faire and John Tu, too! :)

Pattye
I thank you too for tuning me on to tornado crimps- they are the best and if desired, a gold or sliver ball can be put on the outside of it. Via Murano (at the bead part of the Gem show) is where you showed them to me.

I didn't mention that I actually have the pliers that make the pretty crimp and that's why I know it doesn't hold as well. I wonder where it is? ;) Better to use a crimp cover if the look bothers you.

John Tu says Hi! ;) Ira from Via Murano says their house in Colorado was just finished and Pam only comes to the Tucson show now and he does the rest. They also do just the Gem Mall show and gave up doing Rodeway Inn. I have lots of twisted tornado crimps now, so I'm all set. :cool:

Thanks Ladies! I'm gonna abandon the idea of the pretty crimping pliers and go with the twisted tornado crimps. Too many postive endorsements to pass them by.
;)

I actually have one use for the crimping pliers that I bought before I learned of the twisted tornadoes:

With their concave curved inner surface, they are sometimes useful for finishing the look when I'm wire-wrapping. The little end of wire can be tricky to press flat with chain-nose pliers and when that is the case, the crimping pliers come to the rescue.

I've never seen a Twisted Tornado crimp release the wire, even with heavy beads. It didn't occur to me to use a clamshell and knot/glue the wire-- I've always been a bit leery of the clamshell beads-- afraid the other end of the clamshell -- the unsoldered part that goes into the clasp-- would open up under the weight of heavy beads. But, given GemGeek's experience doing that, I suppose it must be safe after all. Live and learn!

Last edited:
Let me clarify that the clamshell I use has a ring at each end. When the shell is closed, the two rings meet to form one ring that can be used to attach to a clasp. The other kind with a little hook is not reliable -- you're right. ;)

Ah! I don't know that I've ever seen one like that. Do you have photo or link to a photo of one? It would be nice to have an alternative to using crimps on some pieces.

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea...5&page=GRID&free_text|1283142405879=bead+tips

A link to Rio Grande and here is their photo, which will explain what I am talking about...

689195[1].jpg

Thread the wire through the hole in the bottom, knot a few times, glue, and close the clasp - voila! Then I use jump rings to attach the clasp. ;)

Very good, thanks! Certainly more secure and more attractive than the more commonly-seen kind.

Well, Donna....you've had plenty of good suggestions already.....I was just going to advise against using your teeth.....(though they work just great the first three or four times....:)) Hope you find the perfect pair you need! Buy quality!

Back