Could These Possibly Be Red Sea Pearls?

Gemandpearlover

I bought this vintage strand because I thought it was so unusual. Kind of a mix between Akoya/South Sea Pearls. The pearl sizes range from about 7mm to 8mm. The colors are mixed- some silvery white, some champagne to golden. Ignore my nails please- I was gardening before this pic. Thanks for your opinions and expertise! :)
IMG_0817 (1).jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0813 (1).jpg

I have no idea, but it is an unusual color. They don't look like freshwater pearls to me, often I think that there are a yellow tint to freshwaters, like pink but sort of a pink with yellow tones. Maybe akoyas? Never seen Red sea pearls.

I have no idea, but it is an unusual color. They don't look like freshwater pearls to me, often I think that there are a yellow tint to freshwaters, like pink but sort of a pink with yellow tones. Maybe akoyas? Never seen Red sea pearls.

Thanks for your thoughts Charlotta. :) For great eye candy Jeremy has some Red Sea Pearls for sale on the Pearl Paradise site.

https://www.pearlparadise.com/blogs/from-the-ceo/red-sea-cultured-pearls-yes-they-do-exist

Here's a pic that has my favorite pearl on the strand. So stinking cute!

IMG_0813.jpg

They do looks the same. They are very pretty and will look great worn.

Hi Pattye. :) The necklace is not knotted and is 26 inches long.

I would like to restring them in either Beader's secret white or mist color. Or do you think they would look better strung with another color? Thanks!

Last edited:
OOOO, pretty. I'd use sky blue or mint Beader's Secret. White would be a bright contrast to the pearls. I think a pastel color would blend in better.

How fascinating, Gemandpearlover! Whatever their origin, they are beautiful—the colours are mesmerizing!

Thanks BWeaves and Cricketbug :)

I think you are right BWeaves in that white thread would be too much contrast. I think I am going to try mist color and if I don't like it I will get the mint green from Pattye. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know if they're Red sea but they are lovely. Can't wait to see them after you restring them!

Hi Pattye. :) The necklace is not knotted and is 26 inches long.

I would like to restring them in either Beader's secret white or mist color. Or do you think they would look better strung with another color? Thanks!

Oh, 26 inches, how terrific! I counted the pearls and could tell it was not an 18 incher! The color and overtones are mesmerizing! I agree with BWeaves, probably white would be too much contrast. Mist could be a good choice, Sand, Cream and Vanilla are warmer colors which might work with the champagne and golden tones. Mint and Sky could bring out the overtones. Sometimes I knot up a few pearls if it's not clear which looks best. (Best is relative to our intention at time of stringing; whether we're wanting contrast or blending or highlighting an overtone.) So exciting!

Thank you 86Corvettegirl, Pearl Dreams, Pattye, Parrot Lady and Octavia's Mom. :) I cleaned and restrung them using mist. I think I will like them better using Mint thread (thanks Pattye and Bweaves for thread color advice) and will order that color from Pattye this week. The strand is now 29 inches with clasp.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

The colors almost remind me of labradorite with the champagneish body color and blue flashes. Those are so out of the ordinary and special..even if they aren't red sea pearls they are still stunning.

That turned out very pretty and a very nice length, but yeah, I'm still voting for mint Beader's Secret.

Back