cementing a pearl to a gold pendant

moneymeister

I searched and didn't find under "dissolve glue". What do you all use to dissolve old glue from a 14k gold post? I have the G-S hypo cement to re-glue an upgraded tahitian. Will this work okay?
The dull gray 10mm just didn't cut it.

Tahitian pearl  pendant
Glue to dissolve

New pearl (vendor's photo)17mm x 12mm
17mm x 12mm drop Tahitian

I think I've heard that the glue dissolves with heat. If you don't care about the pearl that is currently set - you can do it at home. If you would like to save the pearl for something else - I would have it done professionally (as it's very easy to overheat the pearl and it will discolour or even self-destroy).

Here is a threat about it.. with more trustworthy methods:

Love the upgraded pearl)

If it's just to remove the glue from the post - if it's a lot of it, maybe you can file it off?

Thanks for the thread Lugana. I gently twisted off old pearl already and it was nice and clean. It's an older pendant, so maybe it was just time. I like your file idea.

I have used acetone for pearls and turquoise with no damage at all to the stones. I often have to upgrade the setting on pearls because of sensitivity to some metals.

We use gel superglue to stick and the bonus is that it comes with its very own release liquid. Bliss.
So far, after a couple of years no problems, no fails. (And I don't have shares in the glue manufacturer)
Gel is easier to handle as it doesn't run everywhere and stick your nose to the floor

Hot Boiling water is the real key to the microwave. Assuming epoxy. Epoxy softens at 200 degrees F. Since water boils at 212 F Hot water boiled on a stove eye works.

Thank you so much for the hints and tricks. I ordered some 2 part jewelers epoxy for the setting (missed your post before the order, pearlescense). I did try acetone to clean the post, but did not leave the bail to soak. I will try that this evening after work.

If there is still glue on the finding it will often 'pick' off with the point of a strong needle. (a bit like picking off old nail polish!) You can clean out the drill hole in the pearl with a drill bit of the same size as the hole, just run it in and out a couple of times and it will skim off the old glue.

Back