Catch of the Day!!!

J Marcus

Here's a mans' pendant made up in sort of a Hawaiian style, archaic, fish-hook made of fossil walrus ivory and carved by Ken Fredricks. I modified it to hold one of my small abalone mabe's for bait. It hangs from a 14K white gold jump ring secured with artifucial siniew. The beads, also by Ken Fredericks, are fossil walrus ivory as well. The leather necklace is a design that I developed years ago. One end is attatched to the other with a simple overhand slip knot and is completely adjustable. The beads on both tag ends are meant to hang down to the front on either side of the pendant. It's off to New Zealand this afternoon!

Marc
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home. html

Attachments

• FosIvFshHkAbMab-1-3.jpg
    FosIvFshHkAbMab-1-3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 28
  • FosIvFshHkAbMab-1-1.jpg
    FosIvFshHkAbMab-1-1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 32
Marc,
Very eye-"catching", to say the least!!

We'll expect a full report on NZ, too! Have a great trip!

Do I hear the faint cries of "model! model!" in the background? Why yes I do!

Whoop! Hey!:eek: There--I think I've got a bite already!:D I wonder what this bait might catch?:rolleyes: Hmmm. . . I wonder what kind of fish that is:confused:?!?!? A lovely specimen, I'm sure!;)

Model you say? You want to see it on some grizzled manly chest? Ah well. . . If I must, then I must.:rolleyes: Keep this station tuned in!:cool:

Oh, by the way, alas--'tis not me that goes to NZ. Only the baited hook! (sniffle)

Marc
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Oh bummer! I thought you were heading off to New Zealand. I was so jealous and now I'm disappointed for you. Great necklace! ;)

Herrre it 'tis in all it's grrreat glorrry! I've used mye fyne and close perrrsonal frrriend, ane Caberrr McTippet as mye model--a gent of uncairrrtain charrracterrr, temperrrment an' lineage, though he claims ta be ane Scottsman, dinna ye ken? (see avatarrr. . .) No tellin' therrre!

Blaire: Yes lass--'tis sad ta say. I dinna get ta goo ta the land o' the kiwi! Someday, perrrhaps. . .

Marc

Attachments

• FosIvFshHkAbMabMe-1-4.jpg
    FosIvFshHkAbMabMe-1-4.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Great piece, Marc - I like it a lot! It's very cool with the end ivory beads on the leather strap, giving it a lot of character.
Great job!

Awesome manly necklace. I love the integration of materials - this just has great presence!

Looks fantastic Marc!! Thank your, errr, friend for modelling for us!

Marcus:
That hook and bait are the best! Wish I could get something like that for my hubby. Looks great next to that Aloha shirt. Creates a nice ambience. Manly, devil may care, strong, but, laid back.

Oooh.. very nice take on the hei matau. I can think of a few other traditional Maori designs that would accept pearls well... perhaps the sympatico stems from the marine/coastal nature of the folk culture.

The double koru on the bottom at the right would make a brilliant setting.

I can think of several ways pearls could be incorporated into Manaia, beyond the shell insets used for eyes. Twists too.

Met a few NZ kids at a competition in middle school. They were trading carved pendants and ever since, I've looked up the pendants every few years and window-shopped. A few months ago, I saw somebody wearing one and asked if he was Maori. He was really overcome with emotion that a random North American brought it up. Some Maori fear their culture is being commercialized and forgotten, so if you ever see a Maori-ish sort wearing one, consider asking them about it. Not sure about the scope of the problem, but one might be gentle if mentioning Hawaii. Cross-migration melded Pacific cultures quite a bit of course, but the only Maori I've ever spoken to at length lost several family members to racial hate-crime in Hawaii and he's not even 40.

Last edited:
Marcus:
That hook and bait are the best! Wish I could get something like that for my hubby. Looks great next to that Aloha shirt. Creates a nice ambience. Manly, devil may care, strong, but, laid back.

Why thank you Barbie! What a nice thing to read! ...and of course--you've caught my ambience exactly. . . Just ask anyone who knows me. . . uh--well, not her... or her... heh, heh, heh.. . . . . . .

We-e-e-l-l. . . perhaps (as it were) coming soon (maybe) to a website near--uh--cyberspace. . . ?

I have a couple more of Ken's fish hook carvings that I'm planning to do something with--as soon as I can get to it. I've even been playing with the idea of carving some fossil ivory (Mammoth and/or Walrus) hooks based on traditional atlantic salmon fly hook designs--with a bit of artistic license, of course. Wha' mannerrr o' fyshey do ye ken ane myte catch wi' sae certaine aye lure?

Marc

Last edited:
By laurenb: "Oooh.. very nice take on the hei matau. I can think of a few other traditional Maori designs that would accept pearls well... perhaps the sympatico stems from the marine/coastal nature of the folk culture."

Thank you, laurenb. ...and thank you for the link to the Maori style carvings. Those are beautiful and skillfully, intricately well-done. My friend and occasional partner in crime, Ken Fredericks, has been working with, shaping and carving fossil ivories and fabricating mountings for important scrimshaw pieces for about 30 years. He draws his designs from many different cultures as well as nature for his work. I choose one that he told me was based on a Hawaiian design because I felt that since it was going to New Zealand, it might be presumptuous of me to send a Maori based design from the US.

I've researched and thought about using some of the ancient celtic designs as a jumping off place for some of my work. Might be some interesting ways to incorporate pearls into them, but have never gotten around to it with all the projects I always seem to have going.

Interestingly enough, I know a Maori woman here in Bellingham, of all places. I don't think she was raised in NZ, though. A few years ago she and her husband traveled to New Zealand and met some of the Maori community there. They had a special celebration and feast to recognize her as one of them to welcome her back among her people.

So sad about the Maori person you spoke with. Hate crimes are such terrible and degraded acts. A while back I was talking with one of my good friends and we came to the realization that the great majority of the persons we think of as heroic in the last half century or so are people "of color."

Marc

Back