Cartier Exhibit San Francisco

kojimapearl

I was a lucky girl yesterday morning to be part of the Women's Jewelry Association's private showing of the Cartier exhibit at the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco. The event reminded me of the book... the Mixed up tales of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, getting to wander around the city's most beautiful museum with out the pesky general public.
Cartier has never been my favorite designer, as I much prefer the whimsical luxury of Lalique.... and Cartier was much too entertained with the use of diamonds (bo-ring!)
There were however some amazing pieces on display.
My favorite was this tiara.. sorry the image is so tiny. This tiara was owned by Doris Duke and was meant to be worn on the forehead, as opposed to resting on the top of the head. I am not sure why.. but I felt like this one was worn in FUN... where as most of the other pieces still held the air of stuffiness to me.
And here is a closeup of an amazing tassle.. which represents what Cartier did do very very very well... DETAIL!
The exhibit was a delight, as was the company.. and the champagne brunch was delicious!
If you happen to live in the Bay Area and have not yet seen this exhibit, I do recommend it highly.. the mystery clocks are worth the drive!
It closes on the 9th of May!
Cheers, Sarah

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 28
  • img-cartier-fig-3_113808590188.jpg
    img-cartier-fig-3_113808590188.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 31
I went the other week. Everything was amazing. Wasn't there a pearl tiara? I think my favorite item was the emerald sugarloaf ring with emerald baguettes. Not a diamond on it just beautiful green stones! Not that there is anything wrong with his use of diamonds :), like I said it was all pretty amazing. The tiny clocks were pretty adorable.

Neiman Marcus in Bellevue, WA has a special collection of Cartier pieces on display too. Lot of diamonds but what got me was the 34" strand of South Sea pearls that were 20+ mm and perfectly round. Mmmm...

While they aren't my favorite designer either, but what they do do, they do very well.

I love the pictures, but have to ask - what does one do with the tassles. They are gorgeous on the cat as a headress but doubt that was the intent. Surely they are not intended for a burlesque dancer :eek:

I love the pictures, but have to ask - what does one do with the tassles. They are gorgeous on the cat as a headress but doubt that was the intent. Surely they are not intended for a burlesque dancer :eek:

This is San Francisco, John...I know plenty of burlesque performers who would just LOVE to twirl those tassels!

I do believe that the tassels in this case are suspended from a necklace, though.

boring... :D

Sheri

Hi All,

Isn't it all just a 1920's or so rip off. Meant to be fun for the breaking out, one that had some money of course, but fun really. Dress up, put on the flapper gear and add the head gear. That is one of the reason we have so many long flapper strands around today, albeit imitation. Fun stuff but that is all.

Dawn eBay ID dawncee333

Hi All,

Isn't it all just a 1920's or so rip off. Meant to be fun for the breaking out, one that had some money of course, but fun really. Dress up, put on the flapper gear and add the head gear. That is one of the reason we have so many long flapper strands around today, albeit imitation. Fun stuff but that is all.

Dawn eBay ID dawncee333

I, for one, happen to love "fun" jewelry! I've made quite a few beaded tassels in my day. Fun, comfortable, and elegant to wear, AND fun to play with and admire. The tassel format, enhanced with pearls and jewels, shows off the characteristics of the gems nicely, with the inherent movement and play of light.

Almost every piece of jewelry made over the last hundred years could be considered a "rip-off" of a prior era, at least where traditional materials are concerned. Consider the Egyptian influence that has appeared and reappeared...

Just my two cents here...back to work...:)

Sheri

Back