Broken Bay Pearls on TV

BeadersSecret

Professional Rethreader
A few years ago I had the pleasure of visiting Broken Bay Pearls in NSW Australia where they farm Akoya Pearls, and produce some truly amazing pearls straight out of the oyster.

Today I was reminded of that visit and it brought back some fantastic memories from that day by a ten minute segment on the television of their current harvest

I have inserted a link to that TV channels website where the Landline episode can be replayed (The egment starts at approximately 9:34)

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/landline

Here are some photographs from my earlier visit.

Pearl Farm (31).jpg
Pearl Farm (20).jpg
Pearl Farm (8).jpg
Pearl Farm (5).jpg
Pearl Farm (3).jpg

Thank you for the share Bernadette!
It is always interesting to see other less traditional pearl developments. The Australian industry being dominated by its beautiful SSPs kind of makes you ignore that there are other varieties grown, such as the Akoya. Would you happen to know their yearly production volume?
Back in 2009 I was introduced by these Aussie Akoyas by my dear friend Dyann Smith of "Raw Pearls" and I have always wanted to visit this farm.
I also have the same question that dobo shared: which episode???

Hello Dobo and Douglas
Here is the direct link - https://www.abc.net.au/landline/pure-and-perfect:-farming-pearls-in-cooler/12352912

Regarding the production volume, not explicitly but they drop some hints when discussing the spat breeding and the ratio of gem quality in the harvest.

Lastly it was also interesting to hear there efforts in promoting oyster meat.

Thank you! I can now enjoy the video :D

"Pearl meat" should be promoted! It is a healthy and delicious by-product! If people eat "scallops" they should accept this too...a pearl oyster is much more closely related to scallops than to edible oysters. In Mexico this meat has an amazing demand...restaurants and stalls can't get enough of it and the prices have gone up to the roof!

Back