Are these Blister or Mabe Pearls

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi, I have some photos. First one is a brooch of mine. I am not sure if it would be classed as a blister or mabe pearl. Would love to know exactly what it is. The pearl itself is 26mm x 9 mm x 5 mm app. It is set in silver. It is just a favourite of mine so info on it would be really appreciated.

Will post a couple of other photos. One of a ring and one of a brooch/pendant, not mine but I would like opinions on them too. I just hate not know what something is for sure.

Thanks in advance,

Bodecia

Attachments

• 26 x 9 x 5 mm Pearl size.JPG
    26 x 9 x 5 mm Pearl size.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 40
This is not mine but I do like it. Hate the necklace strung on it like that though. It is really a big brooch and the pearl is app. 44 mm x 25 mm x 12 mm. This is huge so what kind of pearl is it? Some kind of mabe pearl? Are they cultured to grow like this?

Bodecia

Attachments

• 44 x 25 x 12 mm Pearl Sizie.jpg
    44 x 25 x 12 mm Pearl Sizie.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 49
Is this MOP? This is a big ring, pretty in a klonky way :) I like the abstract sort of leaf design. I do like the tidal wave type appearance it has in the top left hand corner. I think it is MOP but think a big keshi would have been great set instead. Not mine but I like the design. I wonder why it is that the older we get the bigger jewellery we come to like.

Will take a couple of photos of the huge CFWP earrings I made for myself later and post them. :D

Bodecia

Sorry, must have done something wrong with attachment last time. Will try again.

Bodecia

Attachments

• is this MOP.jpg
    is this MOP.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 55
Hi Bodecia,
Thanks for your posts and photos! I am no expert for sure, but would like to make a few comments about these attractive pieces.

1. Pearl pin--Looks like freshwater stick pearl. Am guessing the end gemstones are iolite. Are they a blue violet color? The bezel setting and combo with the silver beads looks like the work done in India. If the piece is very old (70's?) it could be a genuine Biwa pearl, but I think those were usually multi-color. I have quite a few pieces of jewelry that combine pearls, gems, bezelset from India, and love them, by the way.

2. Necklace/pin with large oval pearl--think this is Osmena pearl, actually part of the nautilus shell. I have some jewelry like this only the silver/blue color, love it!! Yes, I like large pieces, too, always have.

3. Ring--very interesting setting, I agree! If it is pure gold, 14k or 18k or something like that, probably some genuine pearl. Hard to know how old, do you have more info? Somehow it doesnt look like mother of pearl to me. Just doesn't seem like the kind of setting MOP is put in. What do you see on the underside? Is it open to the pearl piece?

Pattye

ps Very nice photos!

Hi Pattye and thanks.

After I posted I thought I should have added Biwa - and it does in person have a lot of colours running through it. I am just not great at taking photos. I think you are right about it being Iolite too. The stones are that violet shade. I think it is fairly old. Talking of Biwa - genuine Biwa that is :) are they still in production? Is the lake still used for FW stick pearls?

As for the
2. Necklace/pin with large oval pearl--think this is Osmena pearl, actually part of the nautilus shell.
I will have to google Osmena because I am not familar with it. So you think it is a form of MOP in that silver brooch. I thought it looked like an actual pearl but the size completely throws me. I do have a photo of the back but it is all closed in. Set in silver. Not mine but I wish it was. I love it.

The ring is in 14 K and big. That is someone's little finger and it covers half of it and is supposed to be 1" tall. That is taking big a long way :) I think it is rather lovely too. I also wish it was mine. Aren't I greedy. That is a 10 point diamond set in the gold. It does seem strange to put MOP with all that gold and a diamond. Info I have is that it is estate so that really says little. Back is closed in. But if it is a real pearl surely it could only be a keshi. Maybe it is a FW keshi. What do you think it is most likely. The owner doesn't know from the sound of it but still wants a lot for it.

Bodecia

Hi again Pattye & All,

Can pearls have what I am calling tidal marks or beach tidal marks in them like this "pearl" has? Will include another photo showing the tidal marks better. Seller wants nearly $500 for it. I suppose if it is a genuine, realy good pearl it is worth it but . . .:( too much for my pocket, unfortunately. Still I can lust after it. Pearls just do it for me :eek:

Bodecia

Attachments

• What pearl - tide marks.jpg
    What pearl - tide marks.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 52
Hello again Bodecia,

Osmena pearl, is called just that, not MOP, even though it is part of the shell. Donno the why of that one! They are really beautiful, though.

Thanks for the addl info on the ring. Could be a south sea keshi?

Unfortunately Biwa pearls are no longer in production. I think mid 80's were the last. If you do a search on this forum you will find addl info. I had a genuine Biwa pearl ring, set in gold, got in Hawaii years ago. I was working for Nordstrom fine jewelry at the time, sent it to another N store to be sized, (along with a 42 ct blended ametrine) both disappeared and I was reimbursed, however, have never been able to replace either totally to my satisfaction.:(

High quality "stick" pearls are very lovely, and more likely set like the brooch in silver.

IMO, and your friend in pearl lust,

Pattye

Did you look at those "tidal marks" with a loupe? Doesn't really look like an area where the nacre is peeling, I don't recall seeing that sort of thing before, but remember each pearl is unique unto itself! (Herself??!)
It looks like a pretty heavy gold mounting. Not being a diamond fan, I can't say that it adds much to the ring or the value of the ring, unless it is of very high quality.

Pattye

Hi Pattye,

I am not a diamond fan either. I find them rather boring. Only mentioned it because with a diamond and in real gold I suppose the pearl is more likely to be a real pearl. I don't have it so can't do more than zoom in on the photo, but the seller said it is not chipped so I guess that means not peeling either. Doesn't look like it is peeling. Just I haven't seen it before either and as the seller said pearl, shell, mother of pearl it made made me think she/he must think it is MOP but it does look rather keshi like. If it is SS keishi I suppose it is worth the money asked for it.

Thanks, Bodecia

Osmena pearl is not a pearl at all, but the inner layer of shell from a chambered nautilus. This inner shell is usually white, with a rainbow iridescence. The cabochons cut from the nautilus shell are normally slightly ridged.

Hi, just found this about Osmena pearls - like you said pattye - not really pearl but pearl shell but what I found interesting is that they are generally ridged and the "pearl" on the necklace/brooch does not appear to be ridged. Could it be a genuine pearl? Glad you like big too and also are pearl mad but then I think we are all pearl mad here :D
The photos I looked at of Osmena pearls were all ridged.

Bodecia

I admit I have not seen a lot of these in person!

My large brooch/pendant is 36mm x 21mm. I also have earrings and bracelet, smaller pearls, about 14mm x 11mm. None of them have the lengthwise ridges. (They are at Gunn Trigere.com, if you what to see what they look like.) I know Osmenas come in grades, but have not found a lot of info on them either! I have not seen mabes in that large size and shape, but of course that doesn't mean there aren't any! Mabes are formed over a dome bead, as I recall. One that size would likely be quite valuable, and most likely not set in silver. That is why I think it is likely Osmena.

Pattye

Biwa Pearls???

Biwa Pearls???

Hi All,

Are these pearls Biwa pearls? I think they are beautiful but not sure what they are. Nice though. Similiar sculptured look to the gold as the other ring, which I think goes well with pearls.

Bodecia

Attachments

• 14k gold 2 pearls what but.jpg
    14k gold 2 pearls what but.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately Biwa pearls are no longer in production. I think mid 80's were the last. If you do a search on this forum you will find addl info. I had a genuine Biwa pearl ring, set in gold, got in Hawaii years ago. I was working for Nordstrom fine jewelry at the time, sent it to another N store to be sized, (along with a 42 ct blended ametrine) both disappeared and I was reimbursed, however, have never been able to replace either totally to my satisfaction.

High quality "stick" pearls are very lovely, and more likely set like the brooch in silver.

IMO, and your friend in pearl lust,

Hi pattye,

Thanks for the info. I will be reading up on the Biwa pearls. That is a terrible shame about your jewellery being lost. I would not think you could have them replaced to your satisfaction. Just not possible. As you said each pearl is unique so how can one get a replacement. A 42 ct Ametrine would be hard to replace too. But it is heart breaking to lose a pearl :(

So glad I am not alone in my pearl lust. It seems to take over my life. :D

Bodecia

Back