Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

Default Cozumel Pearl Farm?

Has anyone heard of it?

http://www.cozumelpearlfarm.com/

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hmmm~interesting. Funny there is no sign of floats or photos of the oysters. Hopefully this isn't a variation on "pick-a-pearl."
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

their site says they are growing " Pinctada radiata" but their photo gallery is broken. I guess someone is going to have to head down on vacation and investigate
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Oh Kevin, what a terrible assignment! Certainly you would be willing to make that sacrifice…… for science of course

Pearl Girl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ashley's Avatar

Lol - we should send a whole investigatory team! For the week. We'll have to stay on the beach of course, to observe all operations.
    Ashley McNamara, CEO
    Pure Pearls
    Toll Free: 800-762-0977
    LIKE US on FaceBook
    FOLLOW US on Pinterest

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

It might take a few weeks to gather all the information ... at least....

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

And I think we should travel to and fro Cozumel via boat ... just in case there are wild mussels, oysters or clams to be spotted in the water along the way .... I'll bring the binoculars ...
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert la_corsetiere's Avatar

I just checked reviews on tripadvisor, and this seems to be the real deal! Sounds like they even let you snorkel around the pearl floats. I have been scuba diving quite a few times in Cozumel, and will definitely check this out the next time I'm there.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

...research associate, investigative assistant, mollusk spotter, scuba diver, pearl caddy??? How can I help the travel team?

I know this thread is ancient but I found it when I Googled Cozumel Pearl Farm and registered here to reply.

Our family was there on July 4, 2019 and we were blown away. Granted, I knew very little about pearls before we went so I was a blank canvas for information. However, the tour should appeal to a wide variety of people. Here are a few bullet points:

- Isabel, our host, studied marine biology around the world. If you want to dialogue about the science of pearl cultivation, she'll go into as much detail/minutia as you like.

- There's a small lab onsite which we toured. They are not shy about sharing information and/or things they've learned over the years.

- Our home schooled daughters 10 & 16, came with us and were fascinated by her presentation, as were my wife and I.

- If you just want to relax and snorkel, it's one of the most beautiful secluded beaches we've ever been to. Had the entire beach to ourselves. There is no road access so anyone coming in has to arrive by boat.

- Isabel arranged transportation by water taxi. She runs a tight schedule. Very easy to communicate with them for pickup and drop-off.

- They had small box of pearl jewelry items for sale. We bought the one set of earrings they had. However, there is no gift-shop and there's absolutely no pressure to buy anything.

It's a family operation and more geared toward the science of pearl cultivation than the marketing of pearls.

I wrote a blog post about our trip. If no OK to post, feel free to remove:

Cozumel Pearl Farm: Can You Tour A Working Pearl Farm?

I strongly recommend 10/10.

First-graft Pearl

Thank you for the link to your report on your trip to the pearl farm sondich. Looks like a lovely place. Didn't really see much of a pearl farm operation in the images and some of the pearls look decidedly suspect (freshwater cultured) in one shot on TripAdvisor. Other images show different shells from Pinctada radiata (P. maxima and some others) as well as some cultured blisters on shells. So overall seems like there are mixed messages on the products from the farm and it seems that a few buildings are in need or repair per some visitor's feedback.

However, I do appreciate you highlighting this thread again and bringing my attention to a farm I did not know existed. Many thanks!

PS. Surprised it is P. radiata and not the close family member P. imbricata they are using in that part of the world. Interesting.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your great pearl farm adventure!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Thank you for sharing your great pearl farm adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orient View Post
    Thank you for the link to your report on your trip to the pearl farm sondich. Looks like a lovely place. Didn't really see much of a pearl farm operation in the images and some of the pearls look decidedly suspect (freshwater cultured) in one shot on TripAdvisor. Other images show different shells from Pinctada radiata (P. maxima and some others) as well as some cultured blisters on shells. So overall seems like there are mixed messages on the products from the farm and it seems that a few buildings are in need or repair per some visitor's feedback.

However, I do appreciate you highlighting this thread again and bringing my attention to a farm I did not know existed. Many thanks!

PS. Surprised it is P. radiata and not the close family member P. imbricata they are using in that part of the world. Interesting.
    My pleasure.

It was a very fun trip and educational. However, as I said, I knew very little about pearls going in. But...here I am now at an authority site forum!

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

What a great article and it sounds like it was a fun trip - thanks for sharing!
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images