Default Is this necklace really South Sea Pearls as described?

I saw this necklace for sale on a website called Belle & Clive, which I believe is a subsidiary of the website Blue Fly. The pearls are described as South Sea pearls but, having learned a lot from all you experts and your resources, I don't think South Sea pearls come in those shades of pink. Am I correct in thinking that these are probably freshwater pearls?

I'd like to bring it to the vendor's attention if you all feel that they are freshwater. I would hate for someone to buy them thinking that they are South Sea, only to find out they are less costly freshwater pearls.

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts!
    Anne

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Those are definitely freshwater pearls.

That's what I thought! I'm glad I have learned a few things from you all

Thanks for your reply! I will let them know.

Anne

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Good work, Anne! You are now an official member of the Pearl-guide Pearl Police!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agenova View Post
    That's what I thought! I'm glad I have learned a few things from you all

Thanks for your reply! I will let them know.

Anne
    If you read the description on that page they do call them cultured freshwater pearls. Seems odd but they do this for a few items on their site, calling them Freshwater "South sea" pearls.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Pattye, I'm flattered! Thank you!

Kevin, good eye in seeing freshwater in the description. I was stuck on the mention of South Sea Pearl in the title and didn't see freshwater mentioned later. Do they culture freshwater pearls in the South Seas??? ;-) I wouldn't think so because there aren't any large bodies of fresh water, so the title of the piece is still quite misleading. What do you think about the pricing, given that the pearls are described as being 12-15 mm?

Anne

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agenova View Post
    Pattye, I'm flattered! Thank you!

Kevin, good eye in seeing freshwater in the description. I was stuck on the mention of South Sea Pearl in the title and didn't see freshwater mentioned later. Do they culture freshwater pearls in the South Seas??? ;-) I wouldn't think so because there aren't any large bodies of fresh water, so the title of the piece is still quite misleading. What do you think about the pricing, given that the pearls are described as being 12-15 mm?

Anne

It looks like I need an account to view the price and there's no information about pearl grade, so I couldn't comment on the value of the piece. But you're correct they do not cultured freshwater pearls in the South Seas, freshwater pearls come from mainland china.

The term "South Sea Pearls" refers to saltwater pearls grown from Pinctada maxima oysters. Since South Sea pearls are MUCH more expensive then freshwater pearls, one can only assume they are labeling as such on purpose to confuse customers.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

It's so common to find this sort of error. Often people have no idea what they are selling.

They are on sale for $2095, with a retail price of $3492. I'm not sure what would be a fair price for freshwater pearls of 12-15 mm and this quality....

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Probably no more than $250. Pearls aren't round and don't look very lustrous. Maybe $300 depending on the clasp

Yikes Wendy! I would be most displeased if I were a customer who overpaid for these pearls! All I can say is that I brought it to the attention of the reseller. They were not convinced by my email but, fortunately, the sale is over. Hopefully they will think twice before putting them up for sale again at that price.

Thanks for everyone's input! I really feel that I have learned so much from this group. It's not great for the bank account but it has been fun!

Anne

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Unfortunately the link is gone, but I do remember the strand appeared to be round to near round and looked to be of decent quality - definitely not a ripple strand. A strand like that could easily cost $500 wholesale in Hong Kong. What I would consider to be nice Edisons wholesale in the $1000 range to start and can get much more expensive, especially when dealing with Grace.

Given that the website selling the strand didn't travel to Asia to buy it, they bought it through a wholesaler in the US who put a markup on the piece, the asking price of (if I recall) $2,500 was not outlandish. I believe it also had a heavy gold clasp with diamonds. That would be worth several hundred retail alone.