Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Co-Founder: Cortez Pearls Senior Guide Member CortezPearls's Avatar

Default Natural Pearls from the Gulf of California-Mexico

Hi everyone,

I started this thread to post everything related to Natural Pearls from the Gulf of California or Sea of Cortez.

As you all know by now...we produce all varieties of cultured pearls in our Pearl Farm in Bacochibampo Bay: Mabe, Keshi and Beaded Cultured Pearls. All these pearls are grown using our native "Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oyster" or Pteria sterna, an oyster capable of producing some of the most unusual colored pearls. And, just to STATE this clearly: NO, WE DON'T GROW PEARLS FROM OUR NATIVE BLACK LIP OYSTER Pinctada mazatlanica.

Every year we ALSO obtain some NATURAL PEARLS from our Pearl Harvest. This number varies from year to year, for instance: year 2009 was bad, we only found one natural pearl...but 2007 was a good year with some 37 "large" pearls. This year (2010) seems to be a good year but the harvest is not yet over.

This link will take you to a video of a natural pearl harvest.

But now, some photos of this year's natural pearl harvest: a beautiful pair of pearls, one a deep blue color, the other one a light gray with intense violet overtones. Will continue to add more photos to the thread as they become available.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Co-Founder Cortez Pearl Farm
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Douglas McLaurin's Blog
    Sustainable Cortez Pearl Jewelry: www.perlas.mx
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube
    ]

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

So you grow the P mazatlanicas, don't culture pearls in them, but look through them for natural pearls?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

We grow the P. mazatlanica just for "Environmental Purposes": they are considered a threatened species in Mexico and many researchers consider them to be "key species" or "habitat identifier species" and as such they represent a form of "biological wealth". Our main objective is to grow a yearly quota of these animals in our farm, in order to allow them to breed (we also keep other endangered native species under the same scheme: the "Lion's Paw Scallop" (Lyropecten subnudonusus) and the "Pen Shell" (Pinna rugosa)).
    We sometimes perform experiments on some black-lips...but we focus our 100% attention on our Rainbow Lips. Found some more naturals today... hope I'll be able to post them later...
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Douglas McLaurin's Blog
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube
    ]

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Thanks for that interesting information! You guys do so much for the Bahia de Bacochibampo! I am about to break out in Haiku -again!
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi, do you X-ray them from time to time just in case they have pearls growing in them. What would be the percentage of natural pearls found from the number you grow for ecological reasons? That is a great idea by the way.

Love the pearls. Great video too. Will that oyster be okay. Looked like you were taking a lot of trouble to make sure it would be but then I don't know how these things are done.

Thanks,
    Dawn
    eBay ID dawncee333

Hi Douglas,

Meant to ask. What do you do with your natural stash of pearls. Do you sell or make up a super duper necklace when you have enough? Or just hold them and drool over them now and again.

Dawn
    eBay ID dawncee333

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Miriam Reed's Avatar

Gorgeous pearls! I love the violet overtones on that pearl. Keep up the good work.
    Miriam Reed
    PEARL DISTRIBUTORS
    http://www.pearldistributors.com
    1 800 913 0676

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Simply amazing! Nature is the ultimate artist.

Hello Again!

Got some more photos of today's natural pearl harvest... but before the photos...answers:

1) For Caitlin: doing what we do does not only help our local area (Bacochibampo Bay) but it actually helps the ENTIRE Gulf of California. Why? Because larval dispersal (or "future baby oysters") in bivalves can be of over 1000 kilometers in distance. Since Guaymas is in the mid-section of the Sea of Cortez we can help to repopulate the entire area (although many other factors also affect): the Gulf of California is 1,612 Km long and 241 Km wide (at its mouth).

2) For Bodecia: Never occurred to me that we could X-ray the black-lips for pearls... Thanks!!! (we do have an X-ray machine).

3) Bodecia again: These natural pearls are PRE-SOLD. They have an owner since before we even know we will get them. So, we don't keep any except for those that become mingled with the keshi (in case we are not 100% sure of their origin we cannot sell them as Naturals, and they become "keshi").

Now, for more pearls...first we have a funny pearl: it looks like a toon-type turtle/tortoise to me (notice it's "eye"). Then we have a pair of 7 mm, then we have 3 very nice ones in 5 mm and finally another trio with splendid overtones in about 3 mm size.

Let's see what happens tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Douglas McLaurin's Blog
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube
    ]

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thank you!

Vorba multa - saracia omului.
    [RO]

They are all gorgeous. I am drooling. What wonderful things pearls are. You are lucky just to have them for a while.

Dawn
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333

Many thanks Douglas for sharing these stunning natural beauties

First-graft Pearl

Hi Douglas,

Great photographs. Thanks for sharing them and your information. Would you just clarify exactly which mollusks produced these please, the Pinctada mazatlanica or the Pteria sterna? The overtones are very Pinctada sterna like. I would also be interested in knowing how you are certain they are natural? Are they found in wild oysters from the ocean, hence have never been near a farm and also obviously never been operated on?

Thanks again.

Pinctada Sterna? LOL!! that would be a perfect hybrid!

I got that the pearls from the Mazatlanica are natural. They encourage the mollusks to grow in their waters, but they don't use them for pearl cultivation. therefore any pearls found in them are natural. If they were cultured, they'd be Pteria sternas and in another thread?

As always, correct me where I am wrong.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    Caitlin

First-graft Pearl

LOL as you say Caitlin! Note to self: always check text before submitting quick reply. I believe that you are correct but as I said the overtones look very Pteria sterna (okay as a eant to say before the typo!) like and hence the query to be sure. I didn't see anywhere in the text that made it absolutely clear so wanted to be so in my mind. Thanks for your thoughts and for pointing out the typo.