Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've always loved jewelry and precious stones etc etc. I've been reading extensively about jewelry history. I do plan in the future ( not too far ahead ) to became a gemologist( hopefully at the GIA too ) and a bench jeweler ( not to pursue a career as such, but one must know how things are done ). I don't wear pearls, but to collect them would not be bad at all.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar

Yes definitely PearlsBR! Look forward to it.
    The GIA site is where I got my copy back in Nov 2013 after so many years of searching. You're right it is hard too find. Unfortunately it is on back order at the moment, but I think this is the best place to get the English edition and sooner or later they are going to send it to you.
    http://store.gia.edu/Pearls_by_Elisa..._p/0201056.htm

Thank you
    Is Ling Ling on third or fourth floor ?
    Never been and apparently a very big place

Just putting this out there ....
    what is the average weight of a 18" strand of Akoya, fresh water, Tahitian and south sea pearls 8.0 mm

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

mguy,

Most pearl strands have some slight graduation. I weighed my akoya necklace which has 8mm center pearl and graduates to 6.5 at the clasp. It weighs just under 1 ounce and has a simple filigree fish hook clasp that adds very little weight. Freshwaters would probably be just slightly heavier with less graduation. There could be some variation of weight based on the shape of the pearl.

South Sea pearls size range is much larger than 8mm (average size is 13mm) with a range of 9-20mm. Highly unlikely for you to find a strand of 8mm South Sea.

Tahitian pearls size ranges from 9-18mm. Same story here, if you find a strand of 8mm being sold as Tahitian, it is quite likely they are dyed freshwater.

Mguy, also recommend you purchase PEARL BUYING GUIDE by Renee Newman, approx $20 well spent and could save you much more.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar

mguy, Ling Ling is on the 4th floor.