Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

Default Let's See if You Agree With the Seller

hi guys, just scored this lovely strand, thought it would be fun to ask the experts FIRST what they thought about them before saying what the seller THINKS they are so..... just photos first...... (personally, I have no idea.....I'm too much of a noob to know the ropes on this one)...... all opinions please! (then I'll reply with more info)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Chinese fwp-- Rice krispies from the 1980s

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

They definitely have the texture and color of the Rice Krispies, but you don't often see them drilled like that and the shape is a little more free-form than usual. I am guessing that they are being offered as oyster pearls, although the color seems very white for something like P. sterna Mexican naturals, the shape would work. They could come from a separated lot, however.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hmmm, maybe cultured pearls from Lake Biwa, Japan? The color and luster are interesting.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Looks like early CFWPs to me too.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

....anyone else? I'll give it a few more......
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."

Are they claiming they are Mississippi River pearls?

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

If they were naturals, I don't believe they would be Mississippi River naturals. They do have that Cristaria plicata, Krispie look from China, but still "off." If they were, it would be a strand of what was left over, randomly drilled and more randomly strung. They just wouldn't have the value to do that, IMO, and some wouldn't have been drilled the way there are in a commercial setting. I think they are natural baroque saltwater.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member kiwipaul's Avatar

Well for what it is worth they are sitting in a box by by R.&S. Garrard, appointed by Queen Victoria as the Crown Jewellers in 1843.
    The company dealt with a number of famous jewels, for example in 1852 Garrard were given the responsibility of re-cutting the famous Koh-i-Noor diamond into a brilliant.

Hard to read the box label, but if it says to R.&S. Garrard & Co, the addition of "& Co." dates the box to 1843-1909. After 1909 they were Garrard & Co Ltd.

However the box may bear no relation to the pearls, and if I saw them in a thrift shop I'd assume they were older Chinese FW and wouldn't even bother to pick them up and look at them ... unless they were in that box, then I'd buy them just to get the box.
    Last edited by kiwipaul; 10-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Good eyes, Paul, I couldn't make out the box info at all. Now I am REALLY curious!

One more guess~natural Scottish River pearls?
    Last edited by pattye; 10-15-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Okay, thanks for all your input everyone! Well, they are from the UK, and yes Pattye, the seller said that she believes they may be Scottish river pearls. When I asked why she thinks this (because I too thought they obviously looked like Chinese cultured "rice Krispy" pearls) she said she was basing her belief on seeing Scottish pearls over the course of many years (she has a store, not sure if it's just on-line or brick and mortar as well).

Now, to make things more interesting, after I had won them, she noticed the gold mark that she had missed earlier - 750 for 18 karat gold (I believe that is a British mark? Or was that used by all European countries?). That does seem to indicate they were at least VALUED, so maybe they ARE Scottish pearls? All the photos I've managed to find (which are not many) of Scottish pearls though they seem more round than these...... so...... I just don't know.

(oh, box not included by the way..... lol)

Wow, fascinating!

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    They do have that Cristaria plicata, Krispie look from China, but still "off." If they were, it would be a strand of what was left over, randomly drilled and more randomly strung. They just wouldn't have the value to do that, IMO, and some wouldn't have been drilled the way there are in a commercial setting.
    I agree. The match is random and drilling by width suggest early FWP. It doesn't stand to reason that anyone would use naturals to replicate the appearance of a rice krispy strand.

And Jodie, don't buy into the "believes" part in the absence of other documentation or opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mausketeer View Post

(oh, box not included by the way..... lol)
    Now that is odd-- why on earth would she not include the box if it actually belonged with the pearls?

And if it doesn't belong, then why did she use it as a prop?

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Just remember that at one time these kind of freshwater pearls were a big deal