Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Default Pink South Sea Pearl Ring

There is a pearl vendor who comes to the Oshkosh Airshow (EAA AirVenture) in Oshkosh, Wisconsin every year. This year she had this pearl ring that I came very close to purchasing. The only reason I didn't was that I knew I would be picking up my own custom white South Sea pearl ring very soon.

Anyhow, I have a few pictures of this very pink white South Sea pearl, which has the strongest pink overtones that I have ever seen. I was wondering what the experts think of this? The pearl was already set in an 18 kt yellow gold ring with pink sapphires.

Name:  Pink_5738.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  13.4 KBName:  Pink_5736.jpg
Views: 2526
Size:  19.6 KBName:  Pink_5734.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  10.6 KBName:  Pink_5733.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  17.7 KBName:  MoreEarrings_5737.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  16.4 KBName:  PeaEarrings_5737.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  25.0 KB

I have added some pictures of her other pearly pieces this year. But that pink pearl ring is what really captured my attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Red,

Thank you for posting the great photos! Here is a discussion from a couple of years back. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5830

Rusty and Bron are working to develop pink SS, but theirs are nowhere this deep a color.

My hunch is that it is a very high quality "Edison" cultured freshwater to be that color.

Your SS ring is totally magnificent and even more stunning that this one.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Red,

Thank you for posting the great photos! Here is a discussion from a couple of years back. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5830

Rusty and Bron are working to develop pink SS, but theirs are nowhere this deep a color.

My hunch is that it is a very high quality "Edison" cultured freshwater to be that color.

Your SS ring is totally magnificent and even more stunning that this one.
    Thank you for the most interesting link, Pattye. Yes, the other reason I hesitated to purchase was I didn't know enough to verify what it was. It occurred to me that it could be some sort of dye, but as you can see, the color varies with the angle that the light was hitting it. In the last picture of the pink posted above, I am holding it in the stand and it really was that pink. It took my breath away. It is hard to think when your heart is beating that hard.

My last two shots of the pink pearl ring. Ever so slightly different angle so you can see how the pink tone shifts. Whatever it is, it would be great fun to wear.

Name:  Pink9_5731.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  13.9 KBName:  Pink10_5732.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  15.8 KB

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

It could be possible, but Pattye is right on the money. It's a very high quality, enourmous freshwater pearl and most of those are "Edisons" sold by Grace.

Those are some terrific photos!

Thank you, GemGeek. Glad you are enjoying the photos. I do notice that the vendor is wearing a red shirt which is reflected in some of the pearl pics and increases the sensation of pink.

And, thank you for the kind words about my new SS pearl ring, Pattye. I wore it again today, and I truly enjoy looking at that pearl. Makes my day a tiny bit better.

Red, You know how special and unique your SS ring is, all the care, choosing, thought that went into it creating a true work of art~it has a STORY~

The pink ring is lovely too, and if it is an Edison pearl, it is natural color.
    Pattye

pearl lover Senior Member perlinda's Avatar

I have to disagree that it's Edison, I believe the pearl on the ring to be South Sea pearl. White SSP that pink is available but very very rare, and comes with high price tag. I've seen that kind of pink before, especially the way it shifts color is typical, but usually not this good quality. I think that pearl is marvelous and I would love to be able to look at it in person. However, your SSP ring is one I personally would prefer more as I have preference toward blue overtone compared to pink/rose one, even though the latter is considered to have higher value.

While we're at it, let's take a look at how pink SSP can be
    Name:  real pink ssp.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  21.6 KB

The pearls above, however, are low grade (surface and luster are not very good). The color is natural and considered to be fancy pearls.
    Last edited by perlinda; 08-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Indonesian South Sea Pearls and more...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/IndoSeaPearls

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member LitGeek's Avatar

The pink ring with the sapphires is lovely, but your SS ring is MUCH prettier!!!

Hi Perlinda,

Could you please check the attachment? I'm unable to see any photo. Can others see it? Your opinion is important as someone who sees many SS pearls.
    Pattye

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Yes please redo the attachment It is not in the list of photos to moderate, where they rarely go anyway, LOL.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

I re-attached the picture above, is it visible now?

WOW! Very VERY interesting! Did you examine and photograph the pink pearls in person? They seem to be a very different hue from the ring pearl, granted a lower quality. And that other AMAZING pearl in the photo, do you know anything about it?

Elizabeth Strack in PEARLS, pages 516-517, discusses South Sea cultured pearls, Color grading, in which she indicates pearls with a pink body color and pink overtone belong in a group that attain the highest evaluation above deep golden pearls. There is only 1 photo of a single SS pearl of pinkish violet color, which came from Archives of Gemological Institute of Hamburg. It's worth reading if you have Strack. If you don't have Strack, you might want to put it on your Christmas list!
    Pattye

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Perlinda, those are some extreme pinks!

Pattye, yes I saw and examined them in person. They're different than the pearl ring that Red posted, which is more of white SSP with an intense rose overtone. These pearls have pink body color, and only one vendor that I know of collects them. I asked if he ever got one in good quality and he said yes but it was his private collection and not for sale. I wish I could see it though..

That massive baroque pearl is one of the biggest pearls I've seen in person. It's pretty light though so it must be gassy inside. Going OT here, but here's the pic of the 'silver rock' on my palm
    Name:  huge baroque silver pearl.jpg
Views: 3223
Size:  18.0 KB

Strack book has been in my wish list for so long! It's so difficult to get one where I'm from and I hope to be able to obtain it one day. I've seen pink lavender SSP before too, but I don't know if it looks similar to the one from Strack book. Some unusual SSP color I've encountered are: pink, salmon pink, lavender, chocolate, yellow (really yellow, like mustard yellow), and green. Usually they would say that these pearls were the result of sick oyster. I don't know how much truth in that.