Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Thanks for all the great advice. This is also one of my favorite places. We learn from each other, get ideas from each other, and we are inspired by each other. What could be better than that?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar

Blaire,
    I've bought Power Pro from Sport Authority, Cabela's online, Gander Mountain (I don't think they have stores in CA) in large spools when they are on sale. I usually use 50 lb green for Tahitian pearls and 30 lb white for other stuffs. Bass Pro Shop carries it too.

Caitlin,
    Hisano's method is slightly different. After the overhand knot she uses her left thumb and index to spread and hold the loop taut and tug the thread with the right hand. Then slip the third finger over the top of the pearl and the knot. Gently pull with the right hand to tighten the loop. As the loop gets pulled smaller then pull out the third finger. Give a quick pull with right hand so the loop closes quickly after the 3rd finger is pulled out. The trick is to pull the finger out at the last minute when the loop becomes smaller and almost wrapping itself over the 3rd finger. I know it sounds confusing without picture.
    Cathy

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Thanks Cathy. We have a Sports Authority here. Before you said that, I was looking for an excuse to go down and have lunch at Point Loma Seafood tomorrow (where they have bait & tackle shops!)

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

GemGeek-- Power Pro is sold by Artbeads.com. I don't find it hard on my hands, but then I don't do a whole lot of knotting.

Does Beader's Secret stretch with time or use of heavier beads?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

So far it has withstood the weight of an often worn 65" rope of 9-10mm pearls and the frequent pulling on my larger bead nucleated strand by 2 grand babies who are fascinated by them (well they do have some nice luster)

Well, that sounds strong enough!

Does it fray?
    Does it twist (the way silk cord does) and make knots where you don't want them?
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 08-10-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

I have not had trouble with twisting or unwanted knots. I do keep tight control of the tension when bringing the thread back down through the last pearl with the gimp and the clasp and that seems to minimize any twisting that is prone to happen at this point in the process. Did that make sense?

The one time it did fray was my fault for not paying attention with my tweezers... (that is the way I learned 20 years ago and some day I'll learn tool free.... when I am not in a hurry to get something finished )

Thanks Marianne. I may give it a try the next time I want to restring some of my colored pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaleimom View Post
    Hisano's method is slightly different. After the overhand knot she uses her left thumb and index to spread and hold the loop taut and tug the thread with the right hand. Then slip the third finger over the top of the pearl and the knot. Gently pull with the right hand to tighten the loop. As the loop gets pulled smaller then pull out the third finger. Give a quick pull with right hand so the loop closes quickly after the 3rd finger is pulled out. The trick is to pull the finger out at the last minute when the loop becomes smaller and almost wrapping itself over the 3rd finger. I know it sounds confusing without picture.
    This PP's youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12P1OaMCe8 from a few years ago is similar to Hisano's technique in that one left finger puts pressure on the knot on top of the pearl while pulling the thread with right hand.
    Cathy

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I have never been able to follow that video. Did you learn how from it?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I have never been able to follow that video. Did you learn how from it?
    Not really. I followed Virchik's book almost to the T. It was confusing watching this video at first mostly because it was recorded when she was further along and the pearls kept getting caught when she pulled it through. I wasn't sure what she was doing. Now that I've been knotting for awhile watching it again makes sense. Watching Hisano showing the steps over and over again slowly and practicing along helped a lot. I knotted almost the whole strand during that session. Two weeks after the ruckus I was reknotting a strand and almost forgot how to do it. Luckily once I started playing again I recalled most of it.
    Cathy

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Did I mention that we will get a professional knotting video? Someday.

This was so easy making the video, I wish others would do the same. Virchik and Poris have two different methods in their books, and there is another method I can use when the strand is short....

Most of the ones up on you tube aren't very good, but it is a terrific idea and there no reason some of you can't make videos of various techniques. The day has come.........
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

The video was so steady~did you have the camera on a tripod?

I have watched that PP video many times. Even so, I think I do it slightly differently. I'll string something soon and try to analyze it.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

I love your voices, girls, they're very youthful!

I was trying to make a necklace last night, the silk I have is the worst stuff! Keeps getting tangled, it's so fine I can go blind trying to see it (doesn't help I'm getting older, now need glasses to read) and at night...also I couldn't figure out how to get started. So, do I put all pearls onto the silk to start off with? Double strand? Anyhow. Will watch you video again! And buy some better silk.....