Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wedding Pearl Jewelery - Know Very Little

One of my Aunts has offered to make pearls for me for my wedding; she does this professionally. My Aunt is very good at stringing pearls, but she asked me what my preference is to give her some ideas; although I am an architect and design is important to me, I don't know the first thing about pearls. I don't have an incredible amount of money and I am living in Washington DC (if that has any implications).

I have attached some photos of my wedding dress as well as my bridesmaids dresses. I have an outgoing personality and love being different, but classy. The wedding style we are going for are vintage/modern. I like traditions and vintage styles, but with a modern twist.

Any thoughts are welcome regarding: pearl type, size, necklace design, pearl accessories (i.e. have all compoents earings, necklace, and bracelet?).

Thanks!
    Jakki
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Jakki, What an amazing bride you will be in this dress!!!

Oh, what a fun project! I'm sure you'll be flooded with ideas here! What an amazing dress, just gorgeous and lovely ones for the bridesmaids also. Truly a wonderful gift from your aunt!

My first thought for pearl type was the new bead nucleated and large Chinese Kasumi like pearls in white/ivory. They have a rippled surface, soft coloring, often iridescent, and can be knotted up in traditional fashion. Some pearls are more rippled than these, some less. Sizes are found in approx 10mm and up. They are much less expensive than South Sea. Here is a photo of those type pearls I recently donated to an auction benefit:Name:  P1000834  save.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  22.2 KB The particular necklace is 10.5-13 mm.

Just suggestions, of course, but I'd here's a thought:

1. Dangle earrings with large single pearl
    2. Two separate but same knotted pearl bracelets, worn together for the wedding
    3. Full strand of pearls, maybe not quite choker length, but short and close to base of neck. Use the same clasp for necklace and both bracelets, then you can use one bracelet as an extender to lengthen the necklace. The clasps you choose could lend a more vintage look.

Perhaps you'd decide not to have a necklace with this dress, but you definitely should have it made so the pearls will match.

This could be done with 2 strands of pearls. You'd likely have some pearls left over, and your talented Aunt could make you a pendant.

Is she making the bridesmaids' jewelry also? Not certain about a necklace with this dress, maybe a pendant? But double strand bracelets of large freshwater pearls and some sort of linear pearl earring. Perhaps with a touch of cz or rock crystal gems for a little sparkle.

(We who are mothers to boys only can get a bit carried away, lol.)
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

My suggestions would be big earrings of some sort and a couple of bracelets - maybe in gold pink natural colours pearls to get away from the white white white and matchy matchy.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member juliebeth's Avatar

some well-dyed lustrous chocolate freshwater nucleated pearls in a wilma-flintstone-style choker might be .... too much? just a pendant? with the aforementioned single-pearl dangle earrings! plus the double bracelets - the shoulders are bare, gotta load up those wrists!

i LOVE the bridesmaid's dresses! smaller pearls, grey, single-pearl dangle earrings, double-triple bracelets. don't know if a choker would work with that neckline.

i hadn't thought about my son's wedding - but yeah, i'll never get to do this in person!

okay i also love the skirt on your wedding dress - i got caught up in the chocolate sash. i definitely think some kind of rippled pearls to go with the skirt. what's the embellishment on the sash? does that have a pearl in the center? or is it just silvery?

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I love the idea of Chocolate Pearls! Please try some before you decide against them. Like Pattye said, get a set, even if you don't wear one or two of the pieces.

This dress is worthy of being pinned. (on my Pinterest Board). I can't tell you how beautiful I think it is.

And the bridesmaid dresses look like something that can be worn for years, unlike most. I think it is so cool that they are black.

I am not so into weddings, but I am practicing. Would you mind sharing other aspects of your wedding? Like table decorations, or what your bouquet would look like? This the first non-pearly request I have made here, but this thread should reflect why you go with whatever pearls you choose.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member LitGeek's Avatar

Your dress is STUNNING! Also love your bridesmaids dresses! I would go for a triple strand of akoyas (or metallic freshwaters if akoyas are not in your budget) with large studs or simple dangles like these:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 4.16.14 PM.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  11.5 KB

Akoyas are classic and elegant, and because they are so timeless you will be able to enjoy them for many years to come. I still wear the earrings I wore to me wedding 10 years ago and smile when I do!

I also love the idea of chocolate tahitians. Something like this but in chocolate with the large studs:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 4.16.42 PM.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  8.4 KB

Again these would be simple and elegant and you could get tons of wear from them. Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

I'd love to see big chocolate pearl dangle earrings.

I wouldn't wear anything around the neck with that dress. I would go for a lovely pair of dangly pearl earrings and maybe a pearl hair slide for the back of your hair, if you are wearing it up.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

I'd be careful with that neckline. It's very powerful. What about a choker strand of very small pearls, Kojima site has some 5.2mm - 6mm vintage biwas - something like that. Small and delicate. Than something big and bold on the wrist. Maybe one bracelet of South Sea and one of Tahitians, or a the rippled Chinese with a big bold Tahitian in the center. I can't vote for Chocolate, because I can't get past the processing, but if you can find a natural chocolatey color, or even a SS/rippled large white with a deep gold SS. Statement on the wrist, just a tease on the neck.
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

sheryl, i've changed my mind - you're right. i'd go very subtle on the neck, if anything. maybe even just a pendant - but i do think the wrists need some honker pearls. from the strand pattye posted above (or a strand of silver south sea pearls, if you've got the budget!), i'd do a pendant, two dangle earrings, and a double-wrap pearl bracelet (which could at other times be worn as a necklace!).

andrrivval

Big chocolate pearl.Thanks for sharing.Weddings are very special event.Managing and celebrating these event is a big deal.Anyhow thanks for nice stuff.

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thoseriches View Post
    I wouldn't wear anything around the neck with that dress. I would go for a lovely pair of dangly pearl earrings and maybe a pearl hair slide for the back of your hair, if you are wearing it up.
    I agree. Less is more.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Ramona's Avatar

I would go with earrings only. Have your friends wear bracelets in a contrasting color to their dresses.

Banned

I like Diamond Jewelry, Rings, and Bracelets Specially.