Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Young girls first pearls??

I know that there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to pearls but was wondering about others experiences in getting pearls for their daughters? My daughter is younger (9) and has always admired my wife?s pearls (nice collection thanks to this forum) and was wondering about when would be a good age to buy her first pearls? She is pretty responsible and will cherish whatever I get but does have a rough and tumble life style of a kid so durability is a concern.

I posted this in the Tahitian forum because the ones she likes the most are the Tahitians and wonder if that is the place to start for her to have as a keepsake or stick with something along the lines of freshwater because she is a kid?

David

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

DavidL,

What a great age to start your daughter with a pearl wardrobe! Why not start with Tahitians since that is her favorite and they are durable? Perhaps a simple pendant or wire wrapped into a chain, with a pearl about 8mm. Sterling silver would be appropriate and economical if that is a concern. A single Tahitian need not be expensive. Would you see her wearing it mostly for special occasions? Tin cup styles in necklace and bracelets might also be a consideration. My granddaughters enjoy the single pearl necklaces I've given them.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

I would suggest freshwater pearls for a girl that young, you can always upgrade to Tahitians when she gets older. Tahitians would be plenty durable enough but personally it seems like overkill for such a young girl.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

Or maybe she would like a small, colorful freshwater strand?

http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm...cklace537.aspx

Many baby girls are given diamond stud earrings, young girls wear black party dresses, let's think out of the box a bit~if she loved Godiva Chocolate would you make her settle for Hershey bars, lol?
    Pattye

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Many baby girls are given diamond stud earrings, young girls wear black party dresses, let's think out of the box a bit~if she loved Godiva Chocolate would you make her settle for Hershey bars, lol?
    lol..so true and she does love Godiva Chocolate by the way....

See, you've brought her up with exquisite taste; she likely has an artistic flair, too! Children may see the amazing colors of Tahitians even more clearly than we do! Perhaps she would love one of the colorful but less expensive circle' Tahitians, "Circles of Love."
    Pattye

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

If she likes the color of Tahitians but wants to wear the pearls a lot, or would like a strand rather than a pendant, why not try dyed freshwater pearls that resemble Tahitians? They are durable and affordable.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I think a pendant with a Tahitian is a great idea. I'm sure she'll take even better care of something she truly wanted. She's nine, after all, not five And whatever she recieves now she'll always remember as her very first pearl. You won't get that chance twice so you might as well make it good.

- Karin

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

How about a tin cup necklace? I like them because they are fun and kind of youthful.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Or how about a Tahitian pearl on leather? It would be wearable and durable, and not overly fancy for her age.
    Here are some:

"Mana" bracelets from Kamoka Farms:
    http://buy.kamokapearls.com/collecti...o-leather-line

Some from PP.com:
    http://www.pearlparadise.com/catalog...leather&page=1

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

I'll cast my vote for the ringed Tahitians, I think they have a very "cool" look that would appeal to a young person. A single nice specimen on a cord would be wonderful and also casual enough for her to wear it for most occasions. At her age I received a traditional strand of graduated Akoya cultured pearls, and I still think that should be a basic in any young girls wardrobe as well. Maybe surprise her with both?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

I'll echo what Pattye said. A single Tahitian on a silver chain. Wearable for any occasion. Leather is trendy, but not so much on elementary school girls (more seen with older teens). So refreshing that she has such good taste

This is a fun thread. I myself have a 9 year old girl, and it is such a joy to share pearl love with her. I take her with me when I buy pearls and we look at videos and pictures together. She likes to try my strand on and feels (and looks) very pretty. I guess when she finally get these pieces, I want her to wear them not only knowing what they are, but having lived their history.

Amazingly from all the uniform and pretty colors out there she is most attracted to Baroque pearls. And tells me my next piece should be a "deformed" strand. We went into a fancy pearl shop in London last Fall, I was happy to look at the Akoya's at the entrance of the shop. She found a nice sales lady and made her way to the back of the store and enjoyed looking at the most expensive and rarest pearls.

I guess getting a surprise gift is always fun, but when it comes to children I believe in involving them in the research and selection process. I know for my little one (hopefully) it deepens her appreciation, and the understanding that this pieces represents more than the sum of dollars spent.

I personally like little Akoya or freshwater studs for the little ones. I feel like they light their faces and stay out of their way so they can enjoy their active lifestyles.
    But I definitely think a tin cup or a single pearl necklace would be a very nice piece for special occasions.

Silver is great; you may wish to get her a silver polishing cloth as well so she can clean it and keep it shiny. Many jewelers have a display of Sunshine Cloths, which come in a plastic tube for easy storage.

An alternative that won't tarnish as fast is vermeil --or gold-filled. I've been seeing a lot of these in stores now that gold is so dear.