Default abalone pearls? and others?

Hope this is the right forum for this?

Just having acquired this gemstone beaded necklace, I would like opinions on some rather pearly objects on the string. Everything passes the tooth test.

First there are three objects I take to be abalone pearls.

Then there are four spheres, can't see a nucleus with a bright light behind. Between 6 - 6.5mm.

Last are two objects that have me stumped. The look pearly, they have the general shape of gastropods, they have a prismatic sheen and appear to be covered in nacre.

This necklace was put together by a local lapidary who is 90 years old. I asked if he could identify the objects but was told his memory is shot.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hi Vroom,

It appears to me that there are some cultured freshwater pearls on this necklace, but no abalone pearls nor natural pearls, i.e. ones formed without man's intervention.

The white round pearls could be cultured freshwater or cultured akoya.

The solid color brownish pearls in the first 3 photos are likely dyed freshwater pearls. Are those the ones you think are abalone? Why?

The striated brown and white could possibly be dyed or perhaps natural color mother of pearl.

An interesting mix of gemstones and pearly items. That large flat bar looks like mother of pearl, and I think perhaps citrine and smoky quartz and some sort of turquoise. A fun and casual necklace!

Just my opinion; interested in others thoughts~
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Hi Vroom,

It appears to me that there are some cultured freshwater pearls on this necklace, but no abalone pearls nor natural pearls, i.e. ones formed without man's intervention.

The white round pearls could be cultured freshwater or cultured akoya.

The solid color brownish pearls in the first 3 photos are likely dyed freshwater pearls. Are those the ones you think are abalone? Why?

The striated brown and white could possibly be dyed or perhaps natural color mother of pearl.

An interesting mix of gemstones and pearly items. That large flat bar looks like mother of pearl, and I think perhaps citrine and smoky quartz and some sort of turquoise. A fun and casual necklace!

Just my opinion; interested in others thoughts~
    The colors did not come through on the first three "brown pearls" they are iridescent as is abalone. I'll try to get better images tomorrow.

Yes there is mother of pearl, citrine, and smokey. The major stones are turquoise. I don't believe the "banded objects are dyed" again difficult to image. I'll try again - they do look like snails covered in nacre.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

Ditto on the dyed freshwater, not abalone.