Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would appreciate your views on which Tahitian pearl ring I should keep?

I've just joined this site, and looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I'd be interested to hear your views on which of these 2 rings I've purchased (from a reputable TV jewellery channel) is the better one to keep...

1st ring is darkish grey, 12.5mm, and has a lively nacre - reflections are pretty sharp. However, it has a number of minor blemishes and pits over it, particularly concentrated in one patch.

2nd ring is paler grey with light green undertones, 12mm and has a sleepier / duller nacre. It also has minor pits, but they are much smaller than the other ring and the overall surface is a lot smoother.

Which one to keep? They both cost roughly the same a@ under $200 each,and I have certificates of authenticity for both.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer here! I'd be interested to know which of them would be considered the more valuable, if that's easy to determine...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Based on the photos, for colour alone I prefer the darker grey ring. However, the blemishes on the pearl put me off big time.

I prefer the setting of the smaller pearl ring, and on balance, that's the one I am likely to keep.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Th smaller one looks better overall; the setting seems to fit it better.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

If colour isn't a factor, I too prefer the setting in the smaller one. I like the colour of the larger one more but like DK the pitting is putting me off. Hidden in a necklace is one thing, when its a ring and stands on its own they seem more noticeable.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

I too would keep the smaller one. Now I just have to ask this question, There is a reputable TV jewellery channel????? Really????

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I would select the smaller one also. If you do like the style of the larger ring you could order again and keep this one until the other arrives to inspect. Many times ladies complain they just get the same ring if they return and reorder. It's too bad they decided to install such a shabby pearl in the setting in the first place.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

What's the metal?
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

Thanks for your collective feedback here; very helpful. So it sounds like the quality of the pearl surface (extent of blemishes and pitting) is of primary importance, and seems to override the colour and lustre aspects of the pearl.

I'd be interested to know if you'd consider pitting and blemishes on a pearl to be of primary consideration when valuing pearls in general (and of greater importance than the pearl's colour and lustre), or is it just in this specific case?

Sheryl - These are in 10k gold.
    Last edited by Pearl lover in London; 03-03-2013 at 06:00 PM.

To Lilliefuzzysocks - Agreed - and in fact this exact scenario occured to me - I returned the grey ring for another one, and received it back again! And in the meantime they'd run out of ones in my size... Grrr!
    Last edited by Pearl lover in London; 03-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

I am no expert but I'm not sure I think that way, as far as which matters more, blemishes, luster, color, size, etc. To me, it's more overall, does it wow me or doesn't it regardless of which particular factors that piece is stronger or weaker in or what it cost. I wouldn't worry about value because in Tahitian pearl rings under $200 each, resale value is probably going to be about the same amount on either. I would just look at them on your hand and go with how you feel. If it's "wow!," keep it. If it's "meh," send it back. I've gotten some deals on the home shopping clearances that I was very pleased with and sent even more of them back. Let us know what you do!
    Last edited by Sea Urchin; 03-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.

pearl lover Senior Member perlinda's Avatar

I also think the smaller pearl is better overall. Other than the obvious cleaner surface, I actually like the color better too. About the luster, from the pictures you provided, both pearls look similar to me. The smaller seems to have softer luster, but I don't think that necessarily means that it's worse (luster-wise). I don't know much about Tahitian pearl though, so that's just my personal assessment.

I consider luster to be the most important, but blemishes would be a big factor as well. Most likely I would prefer a pearl with stunning luster but with light blemishes than clean pearl with good (but lower) luster. However, if the blemishes are too much that it's distracting, I would pass on it. But that's my preference, others would probably think different.
    Indonesian South Sea Pearls and more...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/IndoSeaPearls

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

A few blemishes mean the pearl is real..and they don't really show up unless whoever is looking at the ring is remarkably close to your hand , while lustre is visible from the other side of the room. Would you PM me which jewellery channel (just curious)

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

As for the style of the highly pitted pearl ring. Do they have the ring in a larger size? It's always cheaper to size down a ring than to size up. Just another option if you like the style of the other ring better.

By the way, if you order a larger size I reccomend this cheap alternative to sizing rings. I recently purchased a pearl ring and am doing this to fit my finger. It's invisible once the ring is on the hand.
    Name:  newimproved.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  5.7 KB
    Last edited by lilliefuzzysocks; 03-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

LFS,

That's new to me! How helpful, just how does it work? How many sizes larger would it work for? What a cool tip, thank you!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----