Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Default Fake, Imitation, Laguna, Faux, Majorica, Majorcan, Swarovski Pearl Photos, Stories

Some of us want a place to share photos and stories of various man-made pearl-lookalikes, so let's put them here. This can be helpful for comparison and educational purposes, examples of jewelry, vintage or new, which are not cultured or natural pearls. I'll be taking some photos soon!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

thanks Pattye, will send my photos as soon as I can, most of them are at my antique mall and I am now down with the flu. Will photo what I have here at home shortly. I am assuming you want both the fakes that were designed to fool the eye as well as high quality faux of baroque shapes, etc? And, I just found you on etsy, you WILL be hearing from me, already have put one thing in my cart, your things are LOVELY. Love this forum. Linda

So sorry you are down with the flu, feel better soon! Looking forward to whatever you would like to share; they all will be interesting, Linda. Thanks so much for the lovely compliment~(blushing). Off to take more photos and list items.
    Pattye

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I like this idea for a thread, though I have nothing to contribute. There is a whole world of imitation pearls out there, some of which cost more than some cultured pearls!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Also, please upload the photos as attachments (Go advanced and use the "Manage Attachments" button to add photos to your post) --or put them in your album and use the image link-- rather than just linking to a hosting site. That way, the photos will not be lost if they are ever deleted from the hosting site.

I have an assortment of fakes -- good ones (Majorica) that I enjoy wearing occasionally, some really bad ones (my daughter needed them for props in school plays) and some in-between ones that I don't wear but just haven't dumped for whatever reason.

Majorica imitation pearls have an opalescent glass bead inside and are heavier than pearls with a shell bead.

Here are some Majorica photos:

top left: 10mm white 18 inch strand of Majorica, neck shot
    top right: same strand in my hand, daylight near open door

bottom left: same strand close up (Majoricas, especially white ones, normally show a red and green pseudo-orient but these are redder-looking than usual, due to reflection from our red front door)
    bottom right: 9mm cream colored Majorica 16 inch strand

I have more Majorica strands, different lengths and sizes, but they are all cream or white. I'll take some photos of other, non-branded imitation strands and post them in the next few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-17-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Default Fakes from England

These are faux pearls from England, a friend of mine used to wholesale these and now closing down after his wife died. They are 25 years old, circa 1980, heavier than real pearls for the size, knotted nicely too. No way to do pix in the sunlight, Nashville is in a week long cloud with rain, these were photos under an Ott lite, darker photos without flash, lighter ones with. Will try for better photos later.Name:  DSCN0042.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  32.5 KBName:  DSCN0043.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  30.7 KBName:  DSCN0044.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  24.6 KBName:  DSCN0045.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  22.9 KB
    Last edited by Daddys Little Pearl; 01-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Note that where real pearls have varying overtones, imitation ones do not. The overtones -- the color in the dark circle in the center-- are all alike.

Edit-- Whoops, I have to eat my words! I found one bracelet among my fake pieces that has varied overtones (but only when photographed under a lamp-- in natural light they are all alike.). See post #19 for a photo of it. However, usually the fakes' overtones are all the same.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-09-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

The surfaces of imitation pearls are very uniform whereas real pearls are not.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

My imitation pearl earrings.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

This cherished bracelet was restrung for a client, the imitation pearls had belonged to a dear relative. Knots are larger than I would have liked, but the holes were quite large. The pearls were lighter in weight than actual 6mm cultured pearls would be. The soft look was quite realistic, but of course, the same on each bead.Name:  IMGP4542.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  17.9 KB
    Pattye

PD, Those are pretty dazzling Majoricas! DLP, yours look very ivory and shiny! What size are they? DK, your earrings look so realistic, with the gemstones(?), especially.
    Pattye

Yes, very ivory, with champagne overtone or ecru, and a touch of glass-like. Next to real pearls the difference is obvious, but when worn alone, they look real. I got more of the history on these, forgot the company name that made them, but circa 1980. made in England, his wife was from Trinidad and her family were jewelry wholesalers, either in England or Trinidad. They are 8mm on 30" strands (he has other lengths), all knotted well, nice clasps; this particular group has a silver tone clasp with cz's set like diamonds. He says they are scratchproof, not sure how they did that. When scraping with my fingernail, they have just the slightest rough feel, but fail the tooth test of course (going to get poisoned one day doing that).

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

For people who don't take notice of pearls- those above would pass muster. They enhance the outfit with a pearly vibe. It seems to take someone who knows pearls to tell the difference. This thread is actually a good educational tool.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Yes, I hope this will be fun and educational. Easier to tell fakes with a whole strand because of the "sameness" in coloring, reflection and shape. More difficult to tell as singles or pairs, no drill hole visible to examine in earrings (such as DK's) or rings.
    Pattye

DLP,

Interesting info about the origin of your pearls. Wonder what they are coated with??? One can also do the "tooth" test by gently rubbing 2 pearls together, I prefer this method!
    Pattye