Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Melo melo?

Default Melo melo?

Hello,

I am a geologist and for the last ten years or so have been messing in gemology and thus pearls.

OK I have a gem problem and a pearl problem - I can stare at gems and pearls for hours and hours and - oh well never mind I think the denizens of this forum might understand - if the items mentioned are reflected on the skin well oh never mind.

I've been collecting from all sorts of sources and I live in a very weird place. Have all sorts of stuff including pearls.

Anyway I found this object recently from a thrift store. Obviously I think it is a melo melo so do the geologists that work for me and the local jewelers tell me I am not insane.

So I found this forum and would like opinions.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Can you shine a pointed light through it (especially around the edges) to discern more flame? It definitely looks like it could be.

Name:  IMG_3868.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  24.0 KBName:  IMG_3802.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  15.4 KBName:  IMG_3867.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  27.6 KBName:  IMG_3871.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  26.0 KBName:  IMG_3859.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  26.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    Can you shine a pointed light through it (especially around the edges) to discern more flame? It definitely looks like it could be.
    I do not have a directed light source available till next week and a photo would be difficult. In front of a bright light it is translucent on the edges. I'll attach more images.

As an aside I live in one of the most unusual places in the world and a melo melo in a thrift shop should not be considered an impossibility.

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

At first glance, melo melo seems like a reasonable assumption as well.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vroom View Post
    Name:  IMG_3868.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  24.0 KBName:  IMG_3802.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  15.4 KBName:  IMG_3867.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  27.6 KBName:  IMG_3871.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  26.0 KBName:  IMG_3859.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  26.5 KB

I do not have a directed light source available till next week and a photo would be difficult. In front of a bright light it is translucent on the edges. I'll attach more images.

As an aside I live in one of the most unusual places in the world and a melo melo in a thrift shop should not be considered an impossibility.
    That would definitely have to be one of the keys to make it plausible. With a directed light source you might be able to catch the flame on the sizes that have sort of a tight zipper appearance (sorry, can't think of a better analogy at the moment).

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Queen conch crossed my mind too, but they tend to be pink or coral color with pastel undertones. The tangerine color of this pearl is very typical of melo melo.

It looks quite big (how many mm btw?), making it a terrific find, especially from a thrift store.

Pearl Girl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ashley's Avatar

If it is (and it sure looks like it) you lucky dog you! What gorgeous color!!
    Ashley McNamara, CEO
    Pure Pearls
    Toll Free: 800-762-0977
    LIKE US on FaceBook
    FOLLOW US on Pinterest

Default 107 carats

Quote Originally Posted by Lagoon Island Pearls View Post
    Queen conch crossed my mind too, but they tend to be pink or coral color with pastel undertones. The tangerine color of this pearl is very typical of melo melo.

It looks quite big (how many mm btw?), making it a terrific find, especially from a thrift store.
    107 carats

29 x 23 mm

Everyone at the high end jewelry store I took it to just stood there staring for about two minutes. Whatever it is its beautiful they said.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

That is a one in a million find! What a lovely one, too!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Default sadley

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    That is a one in a million find! What a lovely one, too!
    In this weird place I live and work - sadly I have found a few - one in a million ugly things - also.

Sigh

One supposes it balances out.

Not

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Hi, welcome - all you need is a flashlight, darkness, i think a cotton ball and a camera. If you go up to the search bar and type in 'candling', you'll get a better idea of what I'm trying to say :-)

is it possible for a melo to be this large??? :-o Awesome, if so.
    Last edited by lisa c; 11-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Default Candling?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Hi, welcome - all you need is a tiny led flashlight, darkness, i think a cotton ball and a camera. If you go up to the search bar and type in 'candling', you'll get a better idea of what I'm trying to say :-)

is it possible for a melo to be this large??? :-o Awesome, if so.
    Well I'll give it a try - just sort of thought candling would not show much if anything on a melo melo as the flame pattern is a reflected image or so I thought from reading.

At 107 carats while this would be a large melo melo (if it is) it would not be outrageously so. The largest I found in a bit of due diligence on the web was 397.52 c. Christie's auctioned a 224 carat melo in 2010 (?). One can find 40-90 carat melo melos available at various sites without to much trouble.

Flame patterns seem to vary (from my research) all the way from absent to a rather extremely defined pattern. If this is a melo I estimate the pattern is about in the middle as for intensity.

There might be bigger, but i think you would be hard pressed to find prettier. A truly amazing piece!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Thanks for the info! What did the Candling posts do for you? I'm trying to think of where else to send you; Steve has photographed Nautilus pearls, and he owns some melo, and has photographed them. Maybe if you private message him? He's 'Smetzler'. At least he could tell you for sure how powerful his light source for candling was.

I was describing his set up for you, except I don't remember the candle power. Good luck!

maybe do an advanced search, for posts of Smetzler, melo melo and candling together?
    Last edited by lisa c; 11-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Default translucent

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    Thanks for the info! What did the Candling posts do for you? I'm trying to think of where else to send you; Steve has photographed Nautilus pearls, and he owns some melo, and has photographed them. Maybe if you private message him? He's 'Smetzler'. At least he could tell you for sure how powerful his light source for candling was.

i was describing his set up for you, except I don't remember the candle power. Good luck!

maybe do an advanced search, for posts of Smetzler, melo melo and candling together?
    I'll certainly do so. Though I've tried to read every post on melo melo as well as maybe a hundred articles on the web - one tries to do due diligence before taking up folks time.

It was ohdarkthirty when I read the candling post and did not wish to root about for my camera maybe wake the family. But the pearl was out and a light was handy.

The object is translucent with sort of a non-descript dark cloud inside. The darkness of the cloud depends on the orientation of the object.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and the kindness.