Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

The quality of the black dyed pearls is really much better this year. Nice to know they are less processed. I thought maybe they went into some chamber with the metallic vapor coatings. Whatever, they are nicer looking pearls than were available just 2 years ago,
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-01-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Casey.R

I see no ones posted here in a while. I wanted to mention that flipping through fashion mags while buying groceries the other day I noticed a few long strands of small pearls. Long like below the chest.
    Also at the Oscars watching the pscars I saw some large south sea looking dangle earrings.

Ashley

Hi Casey-

Those were indeed South Sea pearl earrings from Chopard. They caught my eye as well, and it's always a pleasure to see pearls in the spotlight amongst all that diamond glitz! I think Penelope Cruz was also showing off a pair of South Sea pearl bobs with diamond accents that looked gorgeous on her!

pattye

Must say re:Oscars and other like events, disappointed to see so few necklaces, especially any lovely pearl types. I'm not a stylist for sure, but some ladies would have benefited from a great pearl strand or multiples. Maybe with a little less earring length.
    Pattye

Casey.R

Here is one of my current favorite jewelry sites. I love the designs. They have a pearl section as well as some interesting colored stone jewelry. Even some pieces that incorporate both. I believe they designed Angelina Jolie's jewelry for the Golden Globes.

http://www.bochic.com/bohemian/chic/

Patty, Me too. I love necklaces and especially pendants

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

Hello,
    I've just discovered this forum and haven't posted until now - too busy reading all the great info. on here.
    Anyway, what I'm after is some kind of clasp / clip thingy to wear on a long rope of pearls, at the front, to grab the two sides together.
    It would make an attractive alternative to knotting the necklace when wearing at a shorter length, and ring the changes.
    Sort of a brooch, but, instead of a pin on the back, it would have a hinged, curved bar that locks into place around / between the pearls.
    I don't suppose I've made any sense, but hello to everyone, anyway.

Hi Sueki
    I think those are called pearl shorteners. I have a few, but no photos and I am in too big a hurry right now to take a photo. If someone else does not come along, I'll get back to it later.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

CLICLASP

Hello Sueki

Quote Originally Posted by Sueki
    Hello,
    I've just discovered this forum and haven't posted until now - too busy reading all the great info. on here.
    Anyway, what I'm after is some kind of clasp / clip thingy to wear on a long rope of pearls, at the front, to grab the two sides together.
    It would make an attractive alternative to knotting the necklace when wearing at a shorter length, and ring the changes.
    Sort of a brooch, but, instead of a pin on the back, it would have a hinged, curved bar that locks into place around / between the pearls.
    I don't suppose I've made any sense, but hello to everyone, anyway.
    Why not to try having 2 necklaces that can be worn both short when individally closed by their clasp and joined together by their clasps when worn as a rope ? see pic in a sotheby's catalogue.
    hope it helps! good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Caitlin,
    Wow ! You were both quick off the mark !
    Thanks, Cliclasp - I have looked at your clasps and they and the web-site are great.
    The two necklaces joined together is a lovely idea and one to remember.
    But not what I had in mind. I like to change the look of the 36" rope by knotting it, wearing loose, doubled up etc.
    And I sometimes use a split ring to just clinch it together above the bust-line and have a loop hanging below.
    I then fix a brooch to the front.
    But it would be good to have a custom-made thing to do the job instead of my pathetic home-made attempt.
    Thanks for your replies, and have a great weekend.

pattye

Hi Sueki,

In some of the jewelry catalogs awhile back I noticed "pearl shorteners" which are rather like a gold safety pin, but not sharp, of course. The size you would need would depend on the size of your pearls on the strand. I don't think it would be too hard to even have one custom made in 18k - 22k, not sure if you are thinking plain or decorative. Probably you want to be careful not to scratch the pearls. Just a thought---

Pattye
    So many pearls, so little time

Just found a pearl shortener on ebay, comes with a necklace of course, but shows the construction very well in the photos if one scrolls down item 320083828390
    Last edited by pattye; 04-08-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Hello Pattye,
    Thank you !
    That is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.
    Now I just need to find one similar for sale without the pearls.
    Nothing against the pearls, but I already have the necklaces...
    Thanks again - at least I now know what to search for.
    Susan.

pattye

Hi Sueki,

Donno where you are, but have you tried a Google search? I can sometimes find some resources that way. Also if you have a relationship with a jeweler locally, they might be able to special order something for you.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I love my pearl ropes and the versatility of them!

Pattye

So many pearls, so little time

Hello Pattye,
    Thanks for the tip - am googling as I type.
    I do have a relationship with a working jeweller, so will ask him next time I see him.
    I'm in London, U.K. by the way. You'd think it would be easy to find what I'm looking for here...

Hi
    Google images. I found several styles there including the oval ones like mine.
    Caitlin

Hello Caitlin,
    Many thanks - I've saved a few and hopefully will be buying a couple.
    Clever you - I hadn't known about google images.
    Thanks to all of you from a real techno idiot.