Default Need help identifying pearl necklaces & their worth.

Bought these for gifts in China. They were relatively cheap, about $21 USD for each necklace. Each necklace contains about 35-36 pearls that are all 12 - 15mm. Some of them are round (most aren't), almost all have blemishes and imperfections. They don't seem that shiny unless you look at them from far away. Could you tell me how much a necklace like this would run for in the United States? Also what would these pearls be classified as?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Sorry no one has answered you.

Those are Chinese cultured freshwater pearls of some pretty good size and OK luster.

I bought a strand very much like that only a bit bigger, at the Tucson gem show for $25 in 2008, but think they are probably worth a bit more now - just for their size, which is rare. (at least the difference between the price in China and the markups for the US) They actually look rounder when strung up and worn.

Did you buy these? or want to buy them? If you own them, I would cherry pick the biggest and roundest of all the pearls for the best strand possible, then use the rest for other strands or projects. The smaller ones often have better luster than the hugest ones. You have a good number of strands to cherry pick from.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Thanks for the response!

I own these pearls, i purchased them at the Silk Market in Beijing. That sounds like a great idea since i have 14 necklaces, each with about 35 pearls. I bought them with the intention of giving them away as gifts, but i have a lot left over so i wouldn't mind selling them. Is it possible to fix them up to clear the blemishes and carve them into a rounder shape?

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

No. They are what they are.

You can keep giving them away for years. They really make good thank you gifts for the mailman, the Dr., the teacher, etc.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Thank you gifts - I'll say! Can I be your postal-person?