Default Nervous Engagement Ring Shopper

Hello all,

So I've been set on a certain ring for my girlfriend as an engagement ring. Money set aside. Perfect design (with a few changes). Everything seemed great until I decided to google the company and realized that, just as I thought, things were too good to be true. So now I am in need of any help you guys can offer. Originally I was looking into getting this ring http://www.shecypearljewelry.com/pea...58-NWR108.html with a white gold post and a change in the diamond carots but seeing as the company isn't reliable I'm sort of stuck on finding a ring like it. Most of the sites I've seen on here don't seem to have a rough white pearl ring, set in white gold with diamonds...besides one I've seen on almost every site with a triangular diamond design. Can anyone give me any suggestions or maybe places to search to find a new ring with these qualifications?

First-graft Pearl

Have you looked at pearl paradise? They have lots of pearl and diamond rings. I think these are lovely:
    http://www.pearlparadise.com/Capture...-Ring2262.aspx
    http://www.pearlparadise.com/Bonnie-...-Ring3548.aspx

Or just a simple diamond halo?
    http://www.ross-simons.com/products/780779.html

Or you could go vintage:
    http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/search.cfm

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

where are you? (It helps with making suggestions)

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Compare anything you are interested in with pearls at Pearl Paradise. In fact, I believe we have a few threads mentioning shecy pearls as using pearl paradise photos- so why don't you go to the originator of the photos?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Can I ask a general engagement ring question. From what I have seen (on the TV) as well as various postings, it seems to be very different on the other side of the pond in that the boy selects and buys the ring and then presents it as a done thing when proposing? Is that right? what if she loves the bloke but hates the ring?
    Over here as far as I know we still say yes then go shopping jointly

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Hi Wendy,
    Well, on this side of the pond it works both ways.... Sometimes the guy pops the question with ring in hand and other couples make the ring selection a joint venture. No hard and fast rules anymore.

pearl lover Senior Member perlinda's Avatar

If you're set with that setting from shecy, then maybe try to ask the sales staff if it's possible to buy only the mounting? And later you can buy the loose pearl on reliable vendor, such as PP etc.
    Indonesian South Sea Pearls and more...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/IndoSeaPearls

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Amanda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Can I ask a general engagement ring question. From what I have seen (on the TV) as well as various postings, it seems to be very different on the other side of the pond in that the boy selects and buys the ring and then presents it as a done thing when proposing? Is that right? what if she loves the bloke but hates the ring?
    Over here as far as I know we still say yes then go shopping jointly
    With you there. As most of my friends are early to mid 30s, a lot of them have been getting engaged / married over the last few years. No-one that I know has had an engagement ring brought by the proposer rather than the proposee - it seems a very odd idea, to me. Although my dearly beloved did buy a ring, it was a jelly one, so not exactly designed for the long haul!

I don't think anyone's done the man-buy-woman-live-with-choice thing here for ages, that I know of - my parents chose my mother's engagement ring together in 1973.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Yeah, there's a big market push glamorizing the fella proposing with ring in hand. My x just proposed which was all I cared about.

Weeks later, in person, he casually placed an inherited diamond onto a table in front of me and asked if I'd like to shop for a setting. I liked that fine.

I think some people like surprises, and some prefer to choose. Which does your GF prefer? Surprises or choice?

Banned

I believe choosing an online seller that is ready to offer you more information regarding their diamonds
    without giving you a hassle is definitely a plus.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I know that my boys friends who are just starting to get engaged wouldn't dare buy a ring without consulting the 'bride to be' lol They seem to propose with a very simple ring and then went shopping for the diamond/gemstone/pearl.

Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

I think this thread is from nearly 4 years ago...

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aradhnasingh View Post
    I believe choosing an online seller that is ready to offer you more information regarding their diamonds
    without giving you a hassle is definitely a plus.
    This post is about buying a pearl engagement ring, not diamonds.