Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Amanda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post

Later, I tried it on at the first Ruckus, then I forgot I had it on, when one of the staff politely asked to retrieve it!
    We believe you, darling - thousands wouldn't.....

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

How in the wide world does an oyster get so clever at laying down such a gorgeous PINK overtone? Those were lovely pictures, Blaire. Thank you.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Sigh ... one day I would like to see all these pearls in person! The photos are amazing!

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

GG, Remember how I put that strand from Nerida on at that same ruckus (i think) and forgot I was wearing it. I woke up and realized that wasn't my strand of pearls. So I am the last one who should tease you! It is so totally fun to put on pearls unlike anyone I own.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

I like the "natural white" akoyas, but I really think the standard for pearls if the strand look high quality and looks good on you. Once you leave the world of low-quality, everything starts looking pretty good.

A simple experiment is to go to a mall that has a mid-range department store, a mall jeweler, and high end jeweler/department store (Tiffany's, Nordstrom, Ross Simons, Saks). Ask to look at pearls at the department store, ask for a saltwater strand, or if the counterstaff is clueless, look for the strand with the spherical pearls, and try to find the one that is most out of place on the price/value curve (e.g they may have a good 5.5-6.0, but the 6.5-7.0 would be worse, or the longer strand is worse). Roll it back and forth on the chamois, looking for divots, dull spots (especially near the drill hole), chalkiness, or variations in the brightness/overtones of the pearls, look at the pearls nearer to the clasp.

Next wander over to Zales/Kay and look at Blue Lagoon/Sea Magic by Mikimoto strands. These are probably a bit nicer, you may notice that they have a bit of glow to them, try stepping back away from the glass counter and look them as well. Look carefully at the clasp, its important. If you want to be obnoxious ask how they compare to the Mikimoto strands at Nordies/Saks/Ross Simons or say that ones you saw there were nicer.

Next invoke your inner Audrey Hepburn and wander over to Tiffany's or Nordies/Saks/Ross, and ask to look at pearls. They may have a house brands of pearls and probably sell Mikimoto as well. Compare these pearls the same way to the previous ones. Ask about the price.

Now go back to the department store, and look at the original pearls. This should give you a feel for what to look for.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Been there, done that, and frankly, I would not pay the inflated price for a strand of Miki pearls even if I have won the lottery, as they are just not good value for me.

Mind you, I dislike buying branded fashion and accessories for the same reason.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Ok so helped with Big Bro's wife holiday present (her first pearl strand). 7.5-8mm A+ (If I am remembering correctly) not bad for over the phone coaching:

Name:  SisNlaw Xmas Gift.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  48.5 KB
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

BPD - That's a beautiful strand !!! Well done, your brother is lucky to have an expert in the family ! Look at that lustre ... stunning !

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Nicely done, BPDDC! Those are beauties!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Octavia's Mom's Avatar

Outstanding coaching! She's going to love them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    Ok so helped with Big Bro's wife holiday present (her first pearl strand). 7.5-8mm A+ (If I am remembering correctly) not bad for over the phone coaching:
    Wow! That's a beautiful strand! I'm partial to baroque-ish shapes, but this one I would happily accept into the pearl stable!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Oohhhhhh yes!!! He gets an A+!