Default Show us your thrift store/charity store/yard sale/estate sale/freebie/ebay "finds"

In the "What kind of pearls do I have?" forum, a couple of us started discussing how much we like to shop in thrift stores. Someone in that forum had found a fabulous string of pearls at a thrift shop/charity shop.

Voila, a new thread, off-topic, is born. C'mon thrifters, yard salers, et al, show us some of your "finds". I'll start with this thrift store necklace. The pearls feel gritty/real, are off-round or maybe "potato" (???) and the strand is accented with what appears to be murano glass beads.

And following those pics will be pictures of a genuine Hermes scarf I got at a thrift for $4 -- seeing as not all "finds" are pearls. (next post)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CowPrincess; 05-24-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Enhanced title I hope

The $4 scarf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

This is going to be fun!
    Last edited by lisa c; 05-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Do eBay bargains count? I'll try to find my daughter's thrift store pearl find and photo it. How about finding stuff other places? like one member found some pearls in the curbside trash.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

IMHO any amazing low-cost/no-cost "find" should be included Pearls in the curbside trash? Oh yeah!!!! Ebay deals? Oh yeah!!!! Bottom of a cardboard box? Definitely! Again my humble opinion -- the fewer rules, the more fun for a thread like this. I need to find my "bottom of a packing box" earrings.....

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I'm impressed with the 4$ pearls!!! Good thread idea I'll have to break out the 5$ chinese pearl necklaces that I started out with .. lol

So I tried to edit/amend the actual thread title and apparently can't figure out HOW to add "ebay/freebie" to the title that shows up on the forum. Anyone?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I like this thread idea too bad it "sputtered". So I'll just say this. When I was in High-school, I had a summer job working at an Electronics store, counting inventory shipments (no fun, hundreds of thousands sku codes). In one box at the very bottom of all these batteries tiny lightbulb packages was a pearl necklace with a "gold & pearl" clasp, the shipment box came from overseas, and the owner said to me finders keepers and walked away, so I gave them to my grandma. At the time grandma said they were "real", but I was young maybe she wanted me to feel good about what I found. I just had a convo with a sibling about this a few days back, so it is ironic I found this old thread.

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Great story! Yes, by all means post your scores here.