Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CLICLASP's Avatar

Default Let's talk about coral ?

Hello Everyone,
    As we were talking in another thread about "where to sell our stuff", conversation came about coral and someone said (I think it's Adeline) "We can talk about coral in another whole thread". So I have been searching on the web for a nice forum that would already exist about coral, and I did not find any place, as friendly and rich in exchanges as PG ...
    So why not here and now?
    I have a lot of questions and some answers to share such as :
    how to clean it, how to care, how to mix it in jewelry,
    how can we say if it is georgian victorian edwardian ?
    which color is your favourite?
    is angelskin white with blush or pink, is oxblood only deep red or is orangy red oxblood too?
    how can we say if it's from mediterrean or japanese waters?
    And as a start, I post a photo of an antic piece of coral, I once had and sold, (pictures will prevent me from putting more bad english )

Who's next chatting on coral ?

NOTA : For those who wan to discuss ethical concerns about coral harvesting, please see first that post here :
    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5775
    retitled The Coral Controversy.
    THANKS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CLICLASP; 06-09-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: redirection to the coral controversy thread
    CliClasp

My book on clasps' history with lots of pearls in : http://www.editions-terracol.com/en/...h-version.html
    My versatile jewelry : http://e-boutique.anna-tabakhova.com/en/
    My vintage coral : http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnlyVintageCoral
    Photo report on pearl exhibitions & museum (Paris, London, Berlin, Basel, Geneva ...) http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10427

very pretty piece! i wish i knew more about coral, but i am really lost when it comes to coral. a few years ago when i exhibit at the bangkok show there was a coral dealer, lucoral from taiwan, and his booth look like mcdonalds at lunchtime his business was so good.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Anna, I'm up next. Mine are nowhere as lovely and antique as yours but I'm lucky to have them.

As I said, I love coral too. My mum is Grandma's only daughter and I in turn am the only grandaughter so I inherited some vintage coral. I love the blush and colour now but not so when I was younger, though. A total shame because Granny could have answered a whole lot of questions when she was still alive. She had the loveliest stuff but its charms were lost on me then preferring jewelled paste and bits a bob. Foolish youth.

Here are some of what's left of Grandma's necklaces. She had blush carved coral and smooth rounds with 14k gold spacers and another set of carved cylindrical beads on silk (?). The latter beads are conkers, a deeper pink-orange and formidable in size - 1 inch cylinders weighing 10 g each (approx 50 cts, I think). It was obvious she was fonder of the rounds then the cylinders. Dirt had gathered in the fissures of the rounds but the hefty cyclinders are pristine. Does anyone know the significance of the carvings of these sort of beads?

I ripped them apart about four years ago intending to re-bead them but never got around to doing it. When she passed on, we also found coral cabochons and coral tulips wrapped in tissue and stuffed in one of the old handbags. She did quite a bit to all her hidden treasures We figured she had wanted to set them but her namesake, jade ("yu"), always got priority.

We think some of it came from her travels around the region in the 50s-70s when she followed my Grand-aunt and her husband who was then General Manager of the Shanghai Book Publishing Co on their rounds to the "nanyang" (translated as southern seas), that includes the mainland, HK and Taiwan.

Can anyone tell the provenance of the coral in the pictures? Pacific Oceans and whereabouts? Species? And how different is such coral from the one that comes out from Hawaii? I've personally never handled the latter so I can't tell.
    Last edited by Adeline Leigh; 05-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Its an interesting thread. I work in a pet store that sells living coral, not of the precious variety though, and I love how interesting it is.
    As far as my knowledge on coral in jewellery goes, its somewhat limited.
    I know Black and golden corals are gorgonians. The precious red coral that comes from the med. is corallium rubrum. I think the blue coral is from Heliopora or Blue ridge coral. White coral I would assume would be from acroporas.
    I think as far as telling which period the coral jewellery is from you need to examine the carving of the cameo and materials and style of the piece.
    For care, I would treat it like pearls or any other organics for that matter. Wipe it down, dry it, store it out of sunlight. Very very mild soap if necessary. Coral skeletons are quite porous and able to absorb chemicals.

My favourite coral as far as jewellery goes would definitely be golden coral, not sure why, but after the first time I saw a cab of it, I loved it. As for living coral, its gotta be Cespitularia (for fun I've attached a picture of 2 varieties I used to culture).

001 (2).jpg126.jpg002.jpg

Ah Derek, you who have touched more living coral than I have, could I ask what these branches, their species/ origin, look like to you.

Please don't crucify me, fellow PGers. I will admit to buying those leopard spotted branches before the coral brouhaha of recent years. The seller(s) then told me it was farmed but the more I read, the more I think ... not? And any coral I might sell is either vintage stock or farmed.

As for the other two lots, I just grabbed them for a pic from my dad's bric-a-brac. If memory serves him right, he got both lots in 1972 while travelling on business with his boss who had a penchant for ivory, coral and tortoiseshell.

The reds are from Tunisia/ Morrocco. Is it possible? The pink branches ARE from Japan, that he is certain of.
    Last edited by Adeline Leigh; 05-01-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I love coral too I have an old cameo ring. I'll find a picture of it. But I was wondering if the experts here have any tips on how to not get cheated? Can older coral pieces be bought on on-line auctions or would you have to assume that it's all dyed plastik? What is the most common coral "fake"? And the most common thing that would have been done to coral that would want you not buy it?

- Karin

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Default I've got some coral too!

DSC06669.jpgDSC06668.jpgDSC06666.jpg

This coral was left to me by my Grandmother. My understanding is that it was her mother's and came from the "old country"; the Ukraine. I think they emigrated to Canada at the turn of the century. It was originally on some worn out looking string (cotton?), and was restrung by myself into these two short necklaces many (many!) years ago when I was a teenager. I can't remember ever wearing it. I think I better restring them, and start wearing them eh?

Also; Adeline and Anna - your pieces of coral are lovely!
    I would love to know more about all these interesting pieces.

Oooh, wow, Linda, I think between us and Anna's antique pieces (go see her Etsy shop) we have very interesting vintage coral from various oceans.

Anna, how can you tell the provenance of your pieces? Probably by the stylings of the jewellery perhaps? And how do you clean them? My carved coral beads have dirt, no less, sitting in their carved faces. Can I bring a toothbrush and some soap to the beads?

And Anna and Linda, your red and salmon coral resembles some of the vintage, probably antique, coral I saw in Rome last year. Many of the high-end jewellery shops around Piazza de Spagna were selling red coral and pearls and the asking price was so ASTRONOMICAL in 5-figure Euros that I scampered away from the shop windows before I was spotted by any salesperson. I know Mediterranean coral and cameo is the holy grail but at that price? I'm definitely out of that league. So for now, I'm just happy with the stuff Granny left me and Dad's curio branches.

Karin, get that ring out!!! Please give us a pic of your cameo ring!!!

And for all who love coral AND pearls, here are some pieces on Ebay I've been eyeing and eyeballing. I have a one of Granny's cabs that perhaps might take to a ring design or two like that. PS: That gold coral pendant is awesome. You think the pearl is for real?
    Last edited by Adeline Leigh; 05-13-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Uhh, I love that last ring. Which reminds me I have one that looks a tiny bit like it. It seems that all my stores pictures of eBay buys have been cleared. I'll recharge my camera and to work...

- Karin

Wow - great online finds Adeline. You sure know how to scope out the beauties. I want to keep staring at those antique pieces.

I'm in love with the one on the extreme left, looks like little akoya babies framing the coral

Update: Kojima's got coral and pearl too and it's super cool!

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products...pearl-earrings

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Oh MY!!!!! Those are completely fabulous! Sarah, Sarah, Sarah!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Here's my entry to the coral thread -- not nearly as spectacular as the other pieces here, but I do love how the carving takes advantage of the coloration. This one is from my mother, circa 1970s Taiwan. :-)

Last Roll - 25.jpg
    Last Roll - 24.jpg