Default What do I have? 17''apx cream pearls. 75count 14K Silver

my grandmother gave me these. Any ideas on their value?Name:  pearls.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  23.1 KB

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

It appears to be a 3.5 momme strand of cultured akoya pearls. It is an antique, probably around 60 years old. The value would really be determined by the quality, which isn't something I can determine from the photo. if of good quality, it could be valuable to a collector.

Thank you so much for the reply.

When you say the clasp is "14K Silver" do you mean it's silver, plated with 14K gold? if so, this is "vermeil" and is often used in costume jewelry. If the pearls are smooth when you rub one across your teeth or rub two together, you likely have a nice costume piece, which still could be desirable to collectors.

Default Where can I have my pearls appraised in Orange County CA???

Here is a pic of my pearls. Any idea where I could have them appraised?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The clasp is silver looking and marked S14k. They are slightly gritty when I rub them. I am pretty sure they are real, via a few relatives who have looked at them. I am just not sure they have much value.

I'm not familiar with that mark. Maybe it's a maker's mark before a quality mark and your clasp is 14k white gold. That's just a guess.

I think you're right in that these aren't highly valuable pearls, but they look like they've been well kept, plus the box should add some value. You could try taking them to an antique or jewelry shop that accepts consignment items and ask what they might sell for.

I did some research online and the S stands for sterling silver. I think I will find some antique dealer to take it to. Might be worth just holding onto for a keepsake.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

OKkate I combined the other thread. It is best to keep one set of pearls in one thread for evaluation purposes.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

There's another thread about mikimoto brooches and the markings of the metal being somewhat ambiguous, with 'S's, and assaying results coming out "gold". Why not give it a read, FYI and just so you don't dismiss your necklace as not so great because of the clasp.

I agree, I wouldn't base a decision solely on the material in the clasp. S may stand for sterling silver in some cases (see the thread Lisa mentioned), but it's not an acceptable quality mark. Plus, it's curious to see it combined with the 14k. You're spot on in thinking to take the necklace to someone in person. Please let us know what you find out.