Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Clever I will lhave to try that on the American natural pearls I have.
    P-M

Jasonaldean

This is such an amazing pictures.

Hello, I am new to the forum and to pearls as well. I have purchased some pearls for my wife in the past but never thought to research them before. We just got the pictured necklace and as I have started researching other gems I looked online and found this thread. I was amazed by the amount I've learned just in this one thread! I have however found another hobby... trying to effectively candle pearls and photograph them.
    These were sold as 12-14mm "South Sea Pearls" I have no reason to doubt the seller and hope I was able to confirm as well as possible with this technique. Please make suggestions as to better setup etc. The basics are cell phone flashlight, cardboard with holepunch hole, putty, Canon Rebel camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Do I understand you to mean that you were trying to use candling to confirm that the pearls are SSP? If so, candling cannot confirm that, as SSP are not the only large white pearls with a bead nucleus. Freshwater pearls are now being farmed with a bead nucleus also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Do I understand you to mean that you were trying to use candling to confirm that the pearls are SSP? If so, candling cannot confirm that, as SSP are not the only large white pearls with a bead nucleus. Freshwater pearls are now being farmed with a bead nucleus also.
    I was really referring to imaging the bead/halo and was curious if I captured it properly. For some reason I find this thread fascinating and I have been experimenting (very hit and miss) with imaging other gems and my watches as a hobby so I thought I'd try my hand. Any suggestions on photography or further ways to confirm pearl type are very welcome!