Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Nice photos, pl! I am also interested in your question. How do you set up to take photos of candled pearls?
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Sadly hoster reduces image size to about 740px wide and strongly decreasing quality.

Hum, for shooting, I tried with a thick board drilled using a pen and put on my phone.
    I think the best would be a black thick plastic or strong material with hole, and extra black colored putty, for a bog good contrast, then, use a spotlight with variable power, use small power to display the pearl with best angle, then fix the putty to fill all the gap, no light on sides or so, and then full power for the picture, it would help to use a better setting on camera too, quicker shot, making better details.
    The fimo paste is black and like putty, I remember I made a aquamarin with candle light back in 2011, using fimo, but the color is very strong and can nearly dye the pearl as it's a very bit porous, so I suggest not to use fimo.
    Maybe something like play doh paste, not too sticky and not too fat, however no idea if available in black color.

Name:  IMG13.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  29.6 KB
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; 01-14-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I've had trouble with the peeping out light in the past as well. I appreciate your suggestions, I'm going to give them a try!
    Check out my photos here

I was thinking about a better display in the night I will try to make one today.

This is with the new display, I made a silicone cast shape, like a cone with a hole in the middle, black color, it holds the pearl with no gap all around, no glue, fat or sticky material, easy to put pearl and easy to remove and it stays safely on my phone
    I made two different one with a 5mm or so hole and another with smaller hole.
    here is a picture of a pearl, I cut a 740px sized picture so it is at 100% on the forum.
    For larger picture it would require other optics or other camera (5DSR)
    Name:  img_6810.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  43.4 KB

Really nice photo of the candled pearl! Would you mind sharing a photo of your display? I'm very curious about making one of my own.
    Check out my photos here

Yes
    I wanted to make a video in fact.

Here is my stuff for now.

Name:  IMG_6845.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  47.2 KB

I made 2 size for the silicone holders.
    I think the best would be to machine a mold from a good material, perfect finish and shape, then cast it, and get a silicone casts.
    For weird pearls like the ones on top or many on bottom, I think some paste or clay can help.
    Then, maybe a strong led display with a diaphragm could be better, small amount of light for setting, and large for picturing, easiest way, even with second hand stuff.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Great job on the photos! I enjoyed seeing them very much.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

That is a really cool set up, lp. I may need to try making one myself. I've never tried carving silicone, but I have dark green carvers wax on hand and may try to carve that into a stand.
    Check out my photos here

A bit more than candled. This was done with my kind dentists xray (after some odd looks LOL). Can anyone tell if it's cultured or natural? I sure as heck cannot!

Name:  deco pearl strand xray.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  37.3 KB
    Check out my photos here