Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    First-graft Pearl

Default Looking to purchase ss golden pearl necklace

I'm new to your forum and I hope you can help me. I'm looking at purchasing golden SS pearl necklace but I'm unsure if I should risk buying pearls on line. I'm not considering buying anything on ebay but what about companies that sell on-line. The prices vary greatly. Would you advise me on the best approach.

Hi i am new to this as well.

If i were you i would go to jewellery shows or contact known dealers, where you can actually physically see the pearls. On a website the colour may vary and may not be your taste. At a show you will have wide selection to choose from.

Kind regards

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Hi Artpearl and welcome!

You can always buy safely from any of the regular contributors on Pearl Guide. You can find their links in their signatures. If you find something you like but need second opponions, we'll be happy to provide them

- Karin

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Welcome to the forum,
    It would be very helpful if we knew where you are Artpearl - there are sellers from most continents looking in on the forum who could supply the pearls you want.
    I don't know much about jewellery shows around the world but I would not recommend them, since the sellers at them are literally here today and gone tomorrow.
    Saying you want golden ss is a bit like saying you want a piece of string - what grade, size, shade of gold, how long...sort of clasp....etc?
    cheers
    !

First-graft Pearl

Thank you for all the responses and welcomes. I live in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area, so if anyone can recommend showrooms/sites that would be great. (You made me laugh with your piece of string comment.) I'm looking for a ss golden pearl necklace approx. 17" long, round graduated, golden colour-toward the darker more intense side, not light cream or champagne (sorry I don't know the technical names), I was thinking of 10-13mm (not too small). I have no idea of the grades as they vary greatly on various sites and some even very legitimate sites don't disclose grade (Costco). I will look throught the list of vendors on this site to start.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Welcome to the forum,
    It would be very helpful if we knew where you are Artpearl - there are sellers from most continents looking in on the forum who could supply the pearls you want.
    I don't know much about jewellery shows around the world but I would not recommend them, since the sellers at them are literally here today and gone tomorrow.
    Saying you want golden ss is a bit like saying you want a piece of string - what grade, size, shade of gold, how long...sort of clasp....etc?
    cheers
    !

First-graft Pearl

When it comes to golden SS pearls, do we descibe the colour of the pearls in terms of golden intensity or by overtones? Is a darker gold better than a intense gold. I like both golds- but not too dark.

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artpearl View Post
    When it comes to golden SS pearls, do we descibe the colour of the pearls in terms of golden intensity or by overtones? Is a darker gold better than a intense gold. I like both golds- but not too dark.

you're correct, the darker golden tones are more desirable then the light gold or champagne - they're all nice of course. It sounds like you're looking for something specific so when speaking with online shops ask if the picture you see is the EXACT strand you will receive, not likely with a place such as Costco. Also ask if they have something available that's not listed, most online shops will have more options then you can see browsing.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Kevin, you've seen lots more golden ss than I have; are they less likely to have overtones than Tahitians or freshwaters?
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Alex's Avatar

Hi Artpearl

this might put you in the ball-park

http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-...klace3930.aspx

although they are 'champagne', but naturally coloured

if you want darker, then be prepared for lots more $$$

although maybe just $$, if you will accept the darker shade coming from 'treatment' - as opposed to natural....
    Alex

Re grading of SSP - this should help you also

http://www.pearlparadise.com/white-s...rl-grading.htm
    Alex

First-graft Pearl

Hi Alex,

The necklace you selected is very beautiful. I'm looking at http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-...lace-2924.aspx. Curious what the cost is for a AAA quality necklace similar to this one. How different would a AAA vs AA+ grading on a ss gold pearl be? Is it noticeable? My preference of course is natural colouring. Budget is of course an issue but I'd rather wait and save up to get the beautiful pearls I dream about.

I did not see AAA ss golden pearls on this site. There are other site that talk about AAAA rating, but judging by what I read on this site, this is misleading. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Hi Artpearl

this might put you in the ball-park

http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-...klace3930.aspx

although they are 'champagne', but naturally coloured

if you want darker, then be prepared for lots more $$$

although maybe just $$, if you will accept the darker shade coming from 'treatment' - as opposed to natural....

First-graft Pearl

Thank you , I looked this over and found it very helpful.

First-graft Pearl

I will do just that, should I contact customer service rep at number on the sites or do I ask for a sales rep instead? Also, can I expect to see a certificate prior to deciding? I notice that sites that post certificates often differ in desciption to the posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Canning View Post
    you're correct, the darker golden tones are more desirable then the light gold or champagne - they're all nice of course. It sounds like you're looking for something specific so when speaking with online shops ask if the picture you see is the EXACT strand you will receive, not likely with a place such as Costco. Also ask if they have something available that's not listed, most online shops will have more options then you can see browsing.

wow - now that IS a nice necklace...... :-)

re the differnce between AA, AA+ and AAA, the difference would be

AAA Flawless on at least 90% of pearl’s surface
    Only 10% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
    Only a single deep inclusion allowable
    Pearl should drill or set clean to virtually clean
    Luster very high to excellent*

A/B AA+ Flawless on at least 80% of pearl’s surface
    Only 20% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
    Only one or two deep inclusions allowable
    Pearl should drill or set clean to nearly clean
    Luster is high to very high*

B AA Flawless on at least 70% of pearl’s surface
    Only 30% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
    Only one or two deep inclusions allowable
    Pearl should drill or set nearly clean
    Luster is high to very high*

so yes, probably noticeable - as you will have seen from the diffrence in the photos on the PP site between AA and AA+, but then all a matter of degree, and what would be acceptable to you

You could try a Private Message (PM) to Jeremy at PP - 'jshepherd' on your PM page, re your requirements

Cannot comment on other on-line vendors, but maybe beware AAAA ratings......

but PP (and other P-G vendors) are 100% reliable
    Last edited by Alex; 01-18-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Alex

Gidday Artpearl
    You've created a lot of interest amongst Pearl-Guide.
    I state at the outset, My wife and I cannot provide what you want. No sales pitch from us.
    The best line you've printed so far is that "you are prepared to wait for the pearls you dream of".
    Here are some basics to consider:
    The skin shade on your inner forearm is pretty well your natural colour.
    I've witnessed it many times over the years with all South Sea Pearls, people are shown a beautiful strand in a box or on a bust and instantly believe it to be just for them.
    However some skin tones camoflage the pearls to the extent they look nothing like they did in the box.
    Pearl colour shades are fantastic, but you really need to get whats right for you.
    Before farming I was a pearl trader and retailer. I alway's asked the person buying, be it a strand or singlular peice, to place it on their inner forearm to see if there's a good contrast. Most times people are amazed at the differences.
    As pearl growers, traders, retailers or simply pearl lovers, we should all be encouraging people to do this so the recipient always gets whats "right" for them.
    This is the real problem for pearl traders on the internet.
    Good luck with your pursuit Artpearl, take your time, enjoy spending your hard earned but do it "right".
    Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
    Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
    Turtlehead Island
    Escape River

Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.

www.torrespearls.com