Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Abi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Abi, I strung my husband's Tahitians with an oval push clasp (what PP calls "orbit clasp"). Rio carries them in various sizes and metals. I used the small sterling silver/rhodium plated one.

He likes the look, but what he really loves is that he can clasp and unclasp it by himself, without help from me!

Here are the search results for Rio's oval push clasps:
    https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=o...1-9024e4cb1acd
    Thank you Pearl Dreams! I saw something that looks like something Steven would really like, and will show him this!

Pattye: Thank you dearest Pattye, I shall show him the lobster clasp as well!

Jersey Pearl: OMGosh, you are completely right about Koa needing a pearl collar. I'm contemplating what type of collar I will do for that pup, and whether I will do faux pearls or dyed freshwaters. I shall post a picture of Koa in maybe the Tucson thread .

Janet: Janet, what a pleasure chatting with you on Etsy! That necklace on your husband looks great on him!
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Abi, it was a pleasure discussing pearls with you on Etsy as well! Look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

This of course is my favorite subject...my two cents:

There is a clasp that I am very fond of and I think it is Gender non specific. It is the snake head and clasp some of you will remember. But this might be a good thread to introduce others that might find it interesting. (Disclosure: I bought it online but I don't remember where now, however our own Pattye found it on Rio Grande). I've used it as a necklace clasp...which I don't like as much and I use it a a bracelet, which I love. But here are the looks:

Clasp:

Name:  Snake for Thread.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  57.8 KB

T's with fancy cut Black Spinel:

Name:  Snake 2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  65.6 KB

The Original Tahitian (Head/tail was antiqued for patina ):

Name:  Snake 1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  59.8 KB

the two combined as a necklace:

Name:  Double Pearl NeckShot2 copy.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Double Pearl NeckShot2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  41.5 KB

When my right hand is in less pain I am going to repurpose one and make use of Multi tone White Tahitian Bracelet from PP replacing the ball clasp with the snake head
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 02-26-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Here is another clasp I like ( I think I found on Etsy) it is described as an Octopus, it is a hook and eye closure. I used it on the ringed pearls, and I was lucky enough to find sterling silver wire beads that mimic the circles in the pearls:

Ringed pearls:

Name:  20170506_124149 copy.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  109.3 KB

The Clasp:

Name:  a Pic for PEarl guide copy.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  31.1 KB
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Abi's Avatar

BPDDC: Both clasp look very awesome, I'll show these to Steven as well! Thank you!
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love those snake clasps and I'm female.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your wonderful creations, BPD!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

BPDDC, Awesome edgy clasp choices, and great pearls! I, too, have an interest in the snake clasp. Will check to see if the one in the Rio catalog has tie bars, which can be a bit fussy to work with.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

I thought I'd share the White Tahitians I remade with the snake head clasp:

Name:  Snakes_20190301.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  41.9 KB

I also added some larger non-PP White Tahitians towards the front /head. The bracelet is a slight graduated shape larger/head to smaller/tail.

(White T's pictured along side the other two bracelets)

PS: I can't remember if it was Pattye or super sleuth PearlDreams that found a second source at Rio Grande for the clasp...apologies to you both.
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 03-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

COOOOOOL! I love the graduation of size. It's perfect for the clasp.

OOooooo, love the white Tahitian remake, BPDDC! The subtle colors of white Tahitians are crazy good, and the way you've graduated the bracelet, nicely done!!

The clasp at Rio Grande is here Is this the same as yours, BPDDC, with the tie bars?
    Pattye

Thanks Ladies. I am aiming to redo the Black spinal too...if I can get enough purple eds that I like well enough to attempt a remake.

Pattye- That is indeed the same clasp. You know what I find, I don't mind the tie bar, but soldering several jump rings or closing open jump rings that are smallish to the tie bar...give the gimp something to wrap to rather easily.
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 03-03-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Very Cleopatra like?
    Hey what about a coil of CFWP arm band.
    Snake jewelry is one of my favorite things. There is an "S" clasp in the form of a snake...I am trying to decide what I could use if for. Long ago I had a huge lapel pin of black spinel (before it was trendy)

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I love those snake clasps and I'm female.

BPDDC
    Pattye- That is indeed the same clasp. You know what I find, I don't mind the tie bar, but soldering several jump rings or closing open jump rings that are smallish to the tie bar...give the gimp something to wrap to rather easily.
    Thanks for these comments, BPDDC. I haven't used many tie bars, but some seem to have the cross bars, some just 1 bar across, the depth of the bars vary and some findings even have a small hole in the top so the needle can come all the way through and back (agh, wish I had taken a photo), instead of having to bend around the tie bar in such a tiny space.
    Last edited by pattye; 03-06-2019 at 02:25 AM.
    Pattye

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    BPDDC

Thanks for these comments, BPDDC. I haven't used many tie bars, but some seem to have the cross bars, some just 1 bar across, the depth of the bars vary and some findings even have a small hole in the top so the needle can come all the way through and back (agh, wish I had taken a photo), instead of having to bend around the tie bar it such a tiny space.
    One tip on the tie bar, if you have a pair of super fine tweezers they work really well at grabbing the needle to bring it back through. I use a pair of tweezerman fine tip tweezers (the kind we used in the 1980s to over pluck our brows into oblivion). I find them a bit more manageable than the larger hemostats I got from a medical supply house. They have a very long, very tapered arm which comes to a pin point at both ends. I swear you can grab one fiber with those things. And if you grab the very very tip of the needle to fish back through, you have much less of a chance of damaging your needle (if the tip bends, you have enough straight length to trim the bend.)
    Etsy Shop: Ocean's Cove
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: Ocean's Cove