Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Default Tahitian Pearls For Men

I provided one of my Unisex Tahitian pearl bracelets to Mark St. James for a photo shoot and style guide, it turned out well!

Pearls, They are not just for women (sorry girls). Pearl Jewelry for Men:

I?ve never understood why people think pearls are relegated to women?s jewelry. It?s just wrong.

There is nothing more elegant on a man than a couple of well chosen pearl pieces. Pearls, especially Tahitian pearls (my favorite) are subtle and can be used in both dress and casual attire.

Typically paired with platinum, silver, or white gold, they give the wearer an air of mystery, and an exotic appeal.

Choosing what to wear and how to wear them:

For the romantic, sexy, causal feel:

Pieces to select:

Necklace: 1 or 3 pearls, round Tahitian (black, or dark gray), 10-13ish mm. If you do what I?ve done, and go big, make sure there is some symmetry to the necklace, try for 2 pearls (of the same size and shape) on either side of a larger one. The chain/necklace itself is a matter of personal taste. I had this necklace custom made with 3 round Tahitian?s (2 x 10mm and 1 12mm) on a 1mm, 18 inch platinum chain.

Bracelet: Seriously a great pick. Its odd how many compliments you receive wearing a pearl bracelet. It is not what people expect to see, and when they do, their perception of your outfit (and you) totally changes. The bracelet takes you from causal, with a great necklace, to interesting and alluring. How many guys do you know that wear one? Not many right. It is a subtle stand out piece (I know it?s contradictory, but you know what I mean). Oh, some advice on the bracelet, don?t go crazy and obsess about getting round pearls, it?s not going to happen (at least not at a reasonable price). Go for Baroque, in this case they?re going to be a lot more interesting and give the piece some extra exotic goodness.

For your info: Baroque pearls are simply pearls that have an irregular shape. Cultured freshwater pearls are most commonly baroque, because freshwater pearls are mantle-tissue nucleated instead of bead nucleated. Thus these pearls are rarely perfectly spherical and can appear oval or ovoid?.thx Wikipedia! I got these manly pearls (I?m thinking of rephrasing that) from some good ol? online shopping at www.PearlofJoy.com.

Casual:

Grab a pair of jeans that fit well (bootcut, or straight leg, just none of this baggy nonsense)

Subtle belt (think simple here, no studs for this outfit) in the same color of your shoes

For a shirt, to achieve the look I?m going for here, select a white or black v-neck t-shirt, this will accentuate the pearls and draw attention to all the right places. You may also consider a well tailored long sleeve button up, don?t be shy, undo those first couple buttons and show a little skin against your black Tahitian?s.

Shoes are up to you? but don?t mess up the outfit by doing something stupid like throwing on some ugly, rounded toe, bulky monstrosities? think loafer or boot, stream lined and sensible? trust me.

Dress:
    This is the easy part, I?m sure I don?t have to tell you how to dress up (if you need that much help, write a comment below and I?ll help you). Whatever your choice of dress attire, remember: Tailored and you want to leave some room for the necklace. If you?re wearing a shirt and jacket, obviously the bracelet may not work so replace with some platinum (or white gold, or silver) pearl cufflinks. Supper sleek.

Done. Pearl jewelry for men. It?s a Yes. Go do it, it?ll make you popular

One more thing, Pearls are delicate, be careful! Put them on after you spray cologne, if you have to clean them, soft cloth with a little water on it, that?s it.

Original Piece: http://www.fashionblogblogger.com/st...n-black-pearls
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CLICLASP's Avatar

Just brilliant the way it is presented. I totally agree with arguments
    Hope a lot of men will agree with this point of view.
    BTW I also like when the borders between what is masculin and feminine is a little bit confused and that what Tahitian pearls can do for human elegance
    CliClasp

My book on clasps' history with lots of pearls in : http://www.editions-terracol.com/en/...jewellery.html
    My versatile jewelry : http://e-boutique.anna-tabakhova.com/en/
    My vintage coral : http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnlyVintageCoral
    Photo report on pearl exhibitions & museum (Paris, London, Berlin, Basel, Geneva ...) http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10427

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

That's great Kevin. Congratulations!

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

That story deserves its own thread!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

three words...... hot - hot - hot........

- jodie -
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

these bracelets facinate me, very suitable for men
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I agree, Cees, and women too; I see all the fashionable IT girls layering braided leathers sans pearls with gemstone bracelets or metallic cuffs. Uber cool. Let's go educate the masses with our pearls.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Bravo, Kevin, Very very nicely done!

Cees, excellent also, looks like colorful pearls, too!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Art historian and devout NCN Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nora's Avatar

Congratulations Kevin! I also think this is important. It would be interesting to read reactions to the presentation.

Cees, gorgeous bracelets!
    Nora

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ash's Avatar

Congratulations!!!!! Great Job Kevin!!

The Pearls are great!! And So are the skull~n~bones socks I may add! Personally, I am all for men wearing pearls. There is also a bit of allure & a certain sexiness about a man, who, is confident and willing to break common perceived stereotypes in regards to fashion.

Cheers!

Ash
    There is a style and pearl out there for everybody!
    Cheers,
    Ash

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Glad to know I wasn't the only one feelin the socks! That was so awesome Kevin! Woooooo Hoooooo! He was definitely working the sexy.

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Cees, those are HOT bracelets!

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I also meant to say that he has a lot of his Tahitians, including strands for sale. It is worth a look!
    http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Tahitian-Pearls_c_8-2-1.html

I have always liked his pearls on hoops. He has a Tahitian version of those I quite like! I comes in a variety of pearl sizes.

OK I am done, Back to the men.

No I am not. I just looked at Kevin's clasps! He has some really beautiful ones, if you ever want to upgrade your Tahitians!
    Last edited by Caitlin; 12-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

okay, it's so WEIRD how that happens! caitlin, i was going to come on here and ask about where to get a nice CLASP (not in love with the clasp that came with my tahitians). so thank-you for posting that!

i LOVE that silver halo necklace too! really, really neat design!

- jodie -
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -