Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default Japan tsunami debris could reach B.C. within days

Although I've yet to find recent flotsam ashore here in Canada, I've been hearing reports of derelect Japanese vessels, bouys, barrels and other debris fields from shipping merchants and fishermen.

While the "main body" of debris is not anticipated to reach Canada until spring of 2014, much of the lighter bouyant material was carried by the Kuroshiro Current and then picked up by the "Pineapple Express" winds which are casting it ever so close to our shores.

Let's hope it's not contaminated with nuclear fallout.

http://www.canada.com/news/Japan+tsu...950/story.html

Getting much closer.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/23/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3

A salvage crew is enroute to recover it. Despite a lot of rust, the vessel is floating high and reasonably seaworthy. Boats of this size have auxilliary power equipment aboard that normally run 24/7 even while moored in port. The generators could run for months, servicing the batteries and automatic bilge pumps.

I've been finding some Japanese debris on the beach (light bulbs, empty plastic bottles), but it's difficult to know whether it's from Japan itself or jettisoned from ships, likely the latter.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Alex's Avatar

Hi Dave, yes, I saw the news clip of the 'marie celeste' trawler - very spooky

lets hope the fall-out for you and your environment is minimal in the months to come.......
    Alex

Beachcombing is a lot of fun, great exersize and bit of a mystery tour. I can also be a constant reminder of mankind's bad behavior when it comes to litter. Years ago it was oil jugs, fishing gear and soap bottles. Nowadays it's water bottles and tetra packs.

Thankfully, I don't think there's any risk of nuclear contamination amongst the debris - the reactor wasn't affected by the tsunami but the earthquakes and aftershocks. The meltdown took several days if not weeks, and the debris washed out to sea with the retreating wave. I think the reactor owners did pump sea water in to cool the stations, but that contamination would be pretty localised to Japan. Mind you - any pearl people visiting Japan might have some cause for concern as apparently the Japanese government and the reactor owners have not been honest in their communications with the public ...

RIP all those thousands of poor people who were washed out to sea, and the survivors ... they are doing it REALLY tough.

On a side note, it was on this day in 1964, when a major quake in Alaska triggered a violent tsunami that destroyed several communities on Vancouver Island, including these images from Port Alberni.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...2056709&type=3

Keep us up to date please Dave.

This could get pretty bad for you.
    Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
    Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
    Turtlehead Island
    Escape River

Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.

www.torrespearls.com

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I remember that earthquake well. I had close family friends in it. Their descriptions were scary! Their house slid into a crack or subsidence or something horrible like that. It was destroyed.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.