Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I might have used the wrong word. Tried the translater now and it says 'dish soap'. It's what you use for washing dishes by hand

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

For cleaning any jewelry with pearls I recommend Dr. Bronner's unscented baby-mild pure-castile liquid soap. No artificial coloring either. Also recommend for any soft gemstones, such as opals, emeralds and rubies, as the latter are often oiled or filled.

Dawn dish soap works for cleaning diamonds and harder gemstones. It has both scent and artificial color added. Excellent for cutting grease.

Old soft toothbrushes are invaluable!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I agree with Pattye about Dr. Bronner's (or any other liquid castile soap) but will add the caution that it should not be used with hard water. The minerals in the water combine with the soap to form a hard to remove scum. If you have hard water or heavily chlorinated water, and you don't have a water filter, you might want to buy some bottled water for cleaning your pearls.

I have also used a mild liquid baby wash to clean my pearls without any problem.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Good to remember about hard water, thanks for mentioning, PD. I usually have distilled water around and use it instead of our clorinated tap water. A few pages back Pearlman mentioned he uses Ivory, which would be a liquid castile soap.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Thanks everyone. I keep my jewelry clean, but I am concerned about any kind of buildup because with pearls also in the setting, it makes it harder to get the scum off the diamonds.

New to the forum

Good day friends!
    I would like to insert my "5 cents", to share my very brief information on the care of pearls.
    Pearls 90% consists of calcium carbonate, 5% of water and 5% - of organic matter concholine, which performs a cementing role. Organics present in the pearl, over time, dries out and collapses, so the pearl has a certain lifespan, and then it fades, splits and collapses. However, with proper storage and care pearls does not lose beauty for several hundred years.

Pearls are negatively affected by four main factors:

- high temperature;

- high humidity;

the considerable brightness of the light;

- the level of air pollution.

It has a detrimental effect and excessively dry skin of its owner. In room conditions, the surface layer of pearls is usually dehydrated slowly, but if your home is constantly hot, this process can be accelerated.

Pearl feels bad and overly wet areas. On the street for pearls of the most are dangerous industrial emissions and exhaust gases motor transport in the form of so-called "acid" rains. Harmful vapors and acids are able to dissolve the iris of pearls. As a result of this exposure to pearl as it melts.

Pearls harmful tobacco smoke, from which it can turn yellow and tarnish. No less dangerous are all kinds of household and cosmetic products in aerosol packages, such as deodorants, hairspray, antistatic for clothing, aerosol cosmetics for clothing and footwear.

As unpleasant for the life of pearls street and house dust. Dust particles, settling on the surface of pearls, damage them with their sharp edges and thus gradually deprive of Shine.

In sunlight, especially in hot weather, pearls gradually fade, fade, sometimes yellow, losing its iridescence and Shine.

You should not put pearls in a sauna, in a bath, in a shower or a pool, open beaches and reservoirs.

Perfume and eau de toilette should be used by the owner of the pearl necklace in advance before putting it on. Therefore, it is necessary to observe a simple rule: you put on pearls last, and off first.

The thread on which the pearls are strung should be changed (given to the master for dressing) every 3-5 years depending on the intensity of operation, as it tends to stretch and may even break.

Now sold a lot of special formulations for the care of pearls, but this is just another way for entrepreneurs to make money. Pearls can be washed with ordinary water and wipe with a soft cloth. Pearls are durable. But, because consciously cultivate it only started in 1901, to define precisely the period of his life yet. If the shell is thick and without cracks, then your pearls will be enough for both children and great-grandchildren. Natural pearls live 200-300 years, known pearls, which for 400 years. There's even one 800-year-old.

We offer a few practical tips to help restore the pearl to its former radiance:

Gently wipe it with potato starch, it will remove excess moisture and dirt.
    Rinse the pearls in salt water
    Rinse it in a mild soapy water solution and then Polish with a soft cloth
    In Russia were known and other methods for the treatment of sick pearls. One of them recommended the following: pearls, without removing from the thread, you need to pour salt, put in a clean canvas bag and rinse in warm water until the salt dissolves. Then pearls should be dried in a light dust-free room away from sunlight.

Do not forget that pearls are created with the help of living creatures mollusks. Their life was not in vain, if you appreciate and keep their child a precious pearl.

How do you care for a silver chain and bale around pearl? Sorry if this was answered above.

How do you store your pendants on chains? Is there a special hanger or lay flat?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I try to avoid silver with pearls, because I am not sure how to polish the silver without harming the pearl. And I do not like oxidized silver.

I lay my pendants flat, with the chain extending away from the pearl.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I use a Sunshine cloth to polish silver near pearls... very carefully, avoiding the pearl itself. The blue cloth is the least abrasive and is fine to remove a little tarnish; yellow is more abrasive and is good for metal that has scratches; pink is the most abrasive.

To reduce tarnishing I store my silver with anti-tarnish papers.

At Rio Grande: https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=&...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I hang pendants that are on chains in an acrylic holder like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/necklace-hold...f=cts_je_1_vtp

or this one (the knobs are set a bit higher, good for chains but not bead necklaces):

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Kimball-Acrylic-Necklace-Holder/dp/B00K0ZRNCI?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 03-20-2019 at 10:02 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Pearl Dreams- those acrylic holders look great-- also would make nice gifts, I would think.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Abi's Avatar

Hi and welcome Gemmologist! I appreciate you sharing this information!
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh