Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Couple of suggestions on the iPhone for photos...first tap the center of the image on the screen. That's how you override the auto focus, which may be focusing on another part of the background. Second, don't use the zoom (pinch and open) function. If you have a 7plus, you have 2 cameras in one...you can hit the 1X and zoom to 2X without impacting quality. Finally, you can take a side shot (like this example) by laying the camera on a flat surface on one side so that its looking straight into the field. Name:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  39.8 KB
    Ah, and I see your first photo was taken this way...it didn't show up initially, just said "attachment" followed by some numbers. You can use that technique, but be sure to override the auto focus and focus on the pearls!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    IGTV: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Frost Me's Avatar

Thanks Jersey, I have a 7 not the 7plus. It seems my previous phones 4 & 5 took better pearl pics. These with the 7 look grainy, might have been the morning light. Thanks again!

You can also boost the exposure a bit rather than use the auto exposure. When you tap the screen you will see a yellow box with a sun. Scroll up or down to adjust the brightness. The HDR setting is also helpful.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Thanks for the tips, JP. I have a Pixel and there is something to move up and down on my phone camera and now I know what it does! It has HDR as well, but not sure what that does. I'm off to google it now though.

HDR stands for high dynamic range...which basically means the camera adjusts automatically for higher quality, sharper contrasts, greater detail in photos.

I've seen graduated cultured pearls not cared for and not knotted that were worn thru' the nacre. We have always felt that washing weakend the silk and transferred some of the "gunk" to the cord.

Default hope this is the right place to post this

Found this article by Elisabeth Strack a few days ago and wanted to share & ask some questions;
    The acid test: Preserving pearls’ fragile beauty - be sure to click through pages 1 to 5.

If the pearls that touch the neck are most affected by the bodies sweat wouldn't it be better to swap their position when restringing to get even wear on all pearls on the strand?

And I wonder if it is fine to store pearls in pouches made of old silk and wooden boxes(tannin) considering their inherent acidic characterists when wet?
    It's when water takes shape, that fish begin to swim in landscapes of their own choosing.”
    ― Anthony T. Hincks

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

If you are sweating, you are not just sweating on the back of your neck but also on your throat area. Any pearls in contact with skin will get sweat and oils on them. I usually wear pearls directly on my skin, so I clean them by wiping them with a damp hand, then dry them with a soft microfiber cloth after wearing them. Water removes salty sweat, and microfiber is effective at removing oils.

I sometimes rearrange my pearls a bit when I restring them, but not to preserve them-- I do it if I like the arrangement better. Restringing on a synthetic thread like Beaders Secret (which is polyester) means the necklace can be washed more often, too-- no silk to get stretched out. Many pearl necklaces (especially Tahitian and south sea) are somewhat graduated in size, which limits how much rearranging one can do. I've also found that sometimes the pearls nearest the clasp have slightly larger drill holes to accommodate the thread when back-knotted.

I was surprised to see the recommendation about dishwashing detergent and alcohol. I use dish soap to clean my eyeglasses-- it doesn't damage antireflective coatings, and doesn't contain moisturizers which can leave greasy smudges-- but I don't think I want to trust it with my pearls. The dish detergent I use is fragrant and bright blue! I prefer unscented Bronner's liquid soap, which has no fragrances or dyes, or baby wash. Also, I don't like alcohol touching my pearls as I tend to think it will dry them out. (Going back to eyeglasses-- alcohol can damage anti-reflective coatings if used often, and it dries out plastic frames and makes them more brittle.)

Interesting question about silk pouches and wooden boxes...but as long as they are dry, perhaps it isn't much of a problem? However I realize acid-free containers and papers are used for long term protection of important things like art, or wedding dresses.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Default cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by purepearls View Post
    Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you're anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colors) before putting them away.

Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface. Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Also, remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration. Be very careful with substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.

Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewelry cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.

Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch. Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or in a hot environment, leave a damp cloth nearby.

Restring pearls once a year if worn often. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.

Amanda Raab
    President
    PurePearls.com
    Hi: Great and accurate advice. Our company has been doing pearls since 1939 when my mother started the business. I would just take issue about washing without restringing. If your recommendations are followed washing frequently will not be needed. We string onto a temp cord of cotton and use ivory and a difficult technique to describe. dry and slide onto silk.
    pearl-man

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Checked the ingredients list on 2 bottles of nail polish remover I have on hand. Definitely wouldn't use on pearls. Includes many other additives besides acetone.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Checked the ingredients list on 2 bottles of nail polish remover I have on hand. Definitely wouldn't use on pearls. Includes many other additives besides acetone.
    Yes, pattye!!! Use only 100% acetone. Most drug stores sell it along side of regular polish remover. It's usually marked for gel nail remover. You can also usually find it at the hardware store.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    HDR stands for high dynamic range...which basically means the camera adjusts automatically for higher quality, sharper contrasts, greater detail in photos.
    What a camera does for HDR imaging is to merge several photos taken at different exposure levels to maximize detail of highlight and shadow with the properly exposed image. Phone cameras perform this automatically, but with DSLR cameras you have to do this manually, which means taking several photos at different exposures and then using a computer software package to perform the merging. HDR in phone cameras is pretty great, but still doesn't touch the quality of the dynamic range you can achieve with DSLR.
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Quote Originally Posted by MSC View Post
    What a camera does for HDR imaging is to merge several photos taken at different exposure levels to maximize detail of highlight and shadow with the properly exposed image. Phone cameras perform this automatically, but with DSLR cameras you have to do this manually, which means taking several photos at different exposures and then using a computer software package to perform the merging. HDR in phone cameras is pretty great, but still doesn't touch the quality of the dynamic range you can achieve with DSLR.
    Yes, absolutely agree about DSLR. Just one more comment, on the "automatic" HDR, you can override that and simply turn it on for all iPhone photos. Same way you can use the live feature to create movement (bounce, replay, etc) Amazing what the phone can do, but nothing like what a DSLR camera can capture! And btw, your photos are magnificent...if you guys don't already follow her on Instagram, you should! Especially if you enjoy wildlife photography.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Yes, absolutely agree about DSLR. Just one more comment, on the "automatic" HDR, you can override that and simply turn it on for all iPhone photos. Same way you can use the live feature to create movement (bounce, replay, etc) Amazing what the phone can do, but nothing like what a DSLR camera can capture! And btw, your photos are magnificent...if you guys don't already follow her on Instagram, you should! Especially if you enjoy wildlife photography.
    Thank you, Jersey, you're too kind! It's been difficult to keep up with lately, but I'm hoping to pick it back up more regularly in the fall
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MSC View Post
    Yes, I agree, HDR imagery stacks multiple photos taken at different exposures so that the photograph can expand the total range of exposure in one image. It's an awesome affect that allows the viewer to see more detail, especically in shadow areas of the image.

beautiful images, MSC!