Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

Default Fun Challange: Rainbow Pearl Strand?

So I've wondered this for a while...... how realistic is it that I could manage to find seven pearls to make a rainbow of pearls? (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet - indigo being darker purple and violet light purple). I would want all NATURAL colours - not dyed. And have decided that size, shape and even TYPE don't really matter - just the colour.

Obviously, the purples, blue and yellow should not be too difficult but is there ANY chance of finding a RED pearl? Or orange? Natural LIGHT green? (not dark like Tahitian? Oh wait, as I typed that I realized you could use a pistachio Tahitian......)

What do you think? Can I do it? I'm thinking freshwater for most of them........ it's just that red and orange pearl that is stumping me!!!

- Jodie -

(found this scallop pearl after I posted..... at $2,800 I don't think I'll be getting it though!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mausketeer; 10-06-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added photo
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Ahhh, the RED pearl!!!! I suppose you would have to find a Lop Noor to fullfill the red color! That's a joke. To "get" it, search "Lop Noor" on this site!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Orange could be Melo melo, but that costs a fortune too. The dark purple could be a quahog pearl. No cheapie, either, but they are very overpriced in their owners' imaginations.

In fact the quest for your rainbow could result in you learning a LOT about pearls, but it will be a quest to fulfill your actual desire for all natural. Of course you can do it virtually! And report your findings as you did the above scallop pearls!
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

I think you can do deep purple with a Sea of Cortez. I know I have one.
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

Oh man....... I was bemoaning the fact on another thread that I would have never even HEARD of Sea of Cortez pearls unless I had come on this site - that's both a blessing AND a curse! (they are SO achingly beautiful but I know I'll NEVER have a strand....... ONE pearl however IS possible, that's true!)

I found a photo of a RAINBOW Sea of Cortez pearl - I'm sure I most have stolen it from Perlas del Mar's website (um, the photo, not the pearl) but I can't find it on there...... I think I saw it made into a pendant......

I would DIE to have this pearl!

Yes, this could be a great project, couldn't it? Kind of like the pearl version of "The Big Year"......

- Jodie -
    rainbow sea of cortez pearl.jpg
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mausketeer View Post
    ...SO achingly beautiful...
    It's not often I don't have anything to say, but Cortez pearls leave me speechless. All I can do is reiterate two words: Those colors...

Quote Originally Posted by waimeamomi View Post
    I think you can do deep purple with a Sea of Cortez. I know I have one.
    You could do several of the colors with Cortez pearls and a few more with Tahitians.

Yeah. 7 colors of the rainbow Cortez pearls knotted on leather...... zowie. that could cost as much as a whole Tahitian strand at 2-300 per pearl! which is how to get the best colors on the Cortez pearls. I'd settle for 3 of them!

Did you visit their shop, jodie? Clink on any of Douglas' posts to get there.
    Caitlin

About "stealing" photos.

When you take a photo from anothers' site and use it to sell your pearls, that is dishonest.

Whn you take a photo from a site to share for informational or noncommercial purposes such as discussions and reviews, it is covered under the "fair use" laws.

Any photo used for noncommercial purposes should have a link going to the original seller, but it is OK to put them up here. We are an educational site and having a broad array of photos of pearls is very educational, plus the vendors get a citation, so there are no laws being broken for purposes of sharing a pearl photo here- for any reason.

I learned this from the dog blogs I follow and can cite pages of references from those blogs, if needed.
    Caitlin

Art historian and devout NCN Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nora's Avatar

rainbow sea of cortez pearl.jpg

This one-of-a-kind beauty is, of course, one of Douglas's Sea of Cortez pearls. It was one of many extraordinary pearls that were harvested in 2008 and Douglas with his unusual sense of humor named it "Drop Dead".

Jeremy made it into a pendant adding a 0.18ct. diamond.

I am very lucky to be the proud owner of this piece.

Here are some more pearls from the same harvest:
    Perlas cosecha 2008 070 [320x200]-1.JPG

And finally, Jeremy's photo of my pendant:
    RainbowPendant_2.jpg
    Nora

I am so glad you have that incredible pearl, Nora! Thanks for finishing this story up for us!!!
    Caitlin

Art historian and devout NCN Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nora's Avatar

Thank you Caitlin. You know I never would have had it if it weren't for Pearl Guide.
    Nora

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Pure Beauty! I can only imagine the comments when you wear it!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

Every time I see that pearl I drool. Nora you are one lucky lady to be able to wear that one.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

Here's a start. The first one is the Sea of Cortez purple (hard to shoot these) taken with my iPhone. This is from the 2010 harvest, I believe.photo-2.jpg

The next includes a pistachio Kamoka pearl that I got from Josh at the first Pearl Ruckus.photo-1.jpg

This one has Boo's blue pearl that I have because she and I need to talk about what I'm going to do with it!

photo-5.jpg

And this last one has a silvery Sea of Cortez that might not make the rainbow, but it looks great with the other ones!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

My eyes are drooling.
    ! Que bonita!
    Caitlin