Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Caitlin,

you are always very kind.

I am sorry, Kari doesn’t have these photos, I can sent two large size Email to your Email address, one with the same photos with few pixel, and one with other photos and macro less defined, I hope you can play with

I agree if you change the title of this thread, I think that you always do the right thing.

See you soon!

Gianpiero

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Thanks, Gianpiero!
    The photos in this thread are really fine and show us everything.

I am all for giving out "Pearlitzer Prizes" to such finds, but they are still just a daydream.....or a nightmare.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Caitlin,

I’s real or a dream?

With your help, I think it will be a daydream.

I have given the name Lavinia (my daughter) to my Pinctada shell and the name Aghata (our female cat) to my baroque gray pearl.

Thank you very much.

Gianpiero

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearls92 View Post
    Hi Caitlin,
    A question for Douglas: you wrote that you found a Pteria sterna pearl oyster with 121 small (0.9 to 3.5 mm) natural pearls...all of them embedded in the mantle, this means that they are blister pearls and that you cut them from the mantle?
    Gianpiero
    Hi Gianpiero!
    I just recently found this entry...sorry for not replying earlier. The 121 pearls were all loose-pearls, the shell had blisters as well...too many for me to count!
    I just sent them for analysis to Granada, Spain...where they will be analyzed to help understand the process of natural pearl formation better...the Guinness World record doesn't really do anything for me, but SCIENCE does!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Hi Douglas,

thank you for your reply, also I am looking for a help to understand the process of natural pearl formation of my Pinctada, CISGEM Certified that they are all salt water natural pearls and made radiography of the shell but I am a private and I don’t know a laboratory of a Museum or University who can analyze my Pinctada like your Pteria sterna

Please let me know of response of analysis from Granada.

Gianpiero Piva

gppiva@libero.it

Once upon a Cortez Pearl... Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CortezPearls's Avatar

Well, if this is important to you...you may consider donating the shell and pearls to Dr. Checa in Spain. If you want to, let me know and I'll ask Ana Vasilu to contact you. Just let me know
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

I Want, please put me in touch with Ana Vasilu.

Maybe I could directly send an email to dr. Checa, the address should be acheca@ugr.es

Unfortunately Granada is far from Milan, you know a lab in Italy that can do the same analysis?

Gianpiero Piva

Hi Caitlin,

At 07-30-2011, in the forums, I answered with irony to your ironic post but I don’t know what is "Pearlitzer Prizes".

Can you tell me what it is.

Thank you, see you soon!

Gianpiero

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

"Pearlitzer prize" is a tongue-in-cheek expression we use here on the forum. It is not anything official.

Congratulations on your find-- it is special, world record or not!
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.

I am sorry Gianpiero. I didn't see it.

"Pearlitzer Prize" is a pun on the. "Pulitzer Prize for journalism". It is totally unofficial, but it gets mentioned from time to time for especially good reporting and photos about pearls. IE, the GIA trip to the South Seas some years ago was reported by Gem Geek. It was an outstanding piece of pearly journalism and was the first time the Pearlitzer Prize got a mention. So far, it is just nominations as there is no actual award.

Anyone can nominate a thread or even a post, as long as we realize there is no actual prize, at least, not yet.....it is just high praise. I would nominate Cliclasps' (Anna Tablakhova) famous thread playing "guess this pearl". I forget the actual name of the thread, but we need to "bump" it. Lagoon Island's diary on his pearl farm and the Nautilus thread are two more outstanding threads. The latter is pearly investigative journalism at its best and the end of the story is still to come.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Thank you Caitlin and Pearl Dreams,

I had intuited the meaning but I was not sure.

See you soon!

Gianpiero

Question 26 Pearls from Lebanon

In 2008 was published in newspapers around the world the news of an oyster Pinctada that was found in Lebanon with 26 pearls inside.

?The Telegraph? link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...me-oyster.html

?La Repubblica? in Italian language but with better photos. Link:

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/12/gal...-record/1.html

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that?s sure.

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that?s sure.

I think that is not possible, what you think about.

Gianpiero

Great idea to put that story in this thread! What do you think is going on with it?
    Caitlin

I do not know what happened, I never heard anything, it's very strange.

Gianpiero

Quote Originally Posted by pearls92 View Post
    In 2008 was published in newspapers around the world the news of an oyster Pinctada that was found in Lebanon with 26 pearls inside.

“The Telegraph” link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...me-oyster.html

“La Repubblica” in Italian language but with better photos. Link:

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/12/gal...-record/1.html

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that’s sure.

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that’s sure.

I think that is not possible, what you think about.

Gianpiero
    I would say the opened the oyster forcefully and with a big knife...which displaced the pearls to their odd location.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno