Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Default Any recommendations for Portland, OR?

My family and I have spent the last 8 sumers in San Francisco - a great change from Denmark. But this year we are going to Portland, OR for 3.5 weeks. This is new ground for me and I can't help asking my new friends here at Pearl Guide if there are some things or places that are recommended. Pearl oriented activities are also very welcome

I seem to recall that there is a gem faire during our stay. Worth visiting?

- Karin

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I don't know about the gem faire, but if you go to Portland, you will want to check out (and hike) the falls. Mt. Hood (especially Timberline) is also really nice in the summer.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hi Karin,

Yes, the Gem Faire is definitely worth the better part of a day! I live right here in the Portland area, and highly recommend it! Also many other activities! I will make some other suggestions and send them to you via email or pm, whichever you prefer. If you have children, perhaps you wouldn't mind my asking their ages. It is always fun to meet up at the Gem Faire!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Uhh, love water falls! I vividly remember seeing my first one in Germany when I was not even 8 years old. What are the falls near Portland called?

Pattey, I have a daughter of 7 and a son of 10. I am not sure if they'll let me play a whole day at the gem faire but maybe if I can interest them and the dad in something else to do for the day I am planning to maybe find the strands I need for the costume choker clasp, that I am writing about on the Beader thread. It would be a fun souvenir as well. Last year I found the gem faire in San Francisco because I wanted to give my husband a chance to give me a nice ring for my birthday. He sure did

- Karin

They are called Multnomah Falls. A 620 foot drop, and the 2nd tallest year-round watefall in the US. I was just there a few days ago. A meandering paved hiking trail to the top of the falls is approx 1 1/2 hour round trip. Absolutely gorgeous! http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/ Also in the Portland area, a zoo, museum of science and industry, Mr. Hood and much more. (My Grandkids are 10 and 12.) I will find you some links where you can request info.

You might not need a whole day at the Gem Faire, but 3-4 hours is fun! Yes, you will probably be able to find just what you want for your necklace.
    Pattye

Here's a couple of other links to get you started: http://www.travelportland.com and http://www.traveloregon.com There are wonderful farmers' markets with fresh fruit and vegetables grown in the area all summer long, just in case you are cooking while you are here!
    Pattye

Send the kids and husband to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) for the day while you go to the Gem Faire! OMSI is one of my kids' favorite places ever (we lived in Portland for a year). Portland has a nice zoo as well, and a beautiful rose garden.

Thank you Pattye and Jill,

Great suggestions so far

We are doing a homeexchange, 3.5 weeks in Portland, so we'll have plenty of time and will have to do a fair amount of cooking as well. We love the San Rafael Farmers Market in Marin because it is almost like a faire with jumping castles and eating dinner from little stalls on the side walk. Anything like that in the Portland area?

Pattye, if you or any other PG members are going to the Gem Faire it would be fun to meet - not as great fun as going to the ruckus together but I'm afraid that the Portland Gem Faire is all I can manage this time around

If anyone wants to write me directly with suggestions my email is karinkri@gmail.com

- Karin
    Last edited by KarinK; 04-15-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kojimapearl's Avatar

I recommend.. Josh and family .. for an ever changing tourist attraction.. I hear these days he is becoming quite the archer.. and seems to know all the good spots for bare foot running... and pinball!
    Sarah Canizzaro
    Kojima Company
    www.kojimapearl.com

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

If you go to the Gem Faire, don't miss my buddy John Tu and tell him Blaire says hi!

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/pe...us-pearls.html

I'll be making sure she meets up with John!
    Pattye

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Josh's Avatar

Hi Karin! Yeah, get in touch for sure. We have a small crew up here in Portland now. Pattye, Marianne, myself and a couple lurkers on the forum that we might be able to draw out of the wood work with a micro ruckus. It's worth a try anyway. Who knows we may even get Steve of Smetzler fame to come down.
    Be sure to go walking on Sauvie Island as it's really pretty in the summer with LOTS of wild black berries for kids of all ages to pick. Also a trip to Bonneville Dam is not to be missed so you can see the salmon jumping up it (from underwater!!!). Sorry the thought of fish jumping makes me use !!!'s. Bonneville Dam is also very close to Multnomah Falls. There is also the coast with great beaches and estuaries full of Dungeness crab that you can catch!!! Uh oh, there go those !!!'s again.
    Josh Humbert
    Pearl farmer and Tahitian pearl farming consultant.
    www.kamokapearls.com
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/Kamokapearls
    @KamokaJosh

Oh, Josh! Could we? A micro ruckus? I would love to see some real quality pearls and meet people from across the world

We even have an in-town babysitter as our au pair from 5 years back lives in Portland - one of the reasons why we are going there. So my husband Peter could come along. In pure self interest I would love for him to learn more about pearls (my birthday is on July 10. ). We both very much enjoy meeting new people.

We'll be in Portland between July 1. and 26. We land in Vancouver BC 4 days prior to that, stay and expect to take the train to Seattle after 2 days, rent a car in Seattle and spend 2 days driving a detour to Portland.

- Karin

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    I'll be making sure she meets up with John!
    That is awesome. And -- Pattye has some of the most beautiful pearls in the world, so be sure to have a sharing session!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Hi Karin,
    Would be nice to meet you. Mini Portland gathering sounds fun!
    Marianne