Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I want a pearl engagement ring, need suggestions! :o)

Hello!

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years and we've recently started discussing getting married. He wants me to give him an idea of what type of ring I'd want. I've always loved pearls but I don't know much about them.

I've been browsing pearl engagement rings and could use some advice if anyone has any. I don't know much about pearls except for what I've read over the past week or so. I want white gold, a white pearl (8-10 mm), and a few small diamonds on either side of the pearl. Not too expensive ($500-$1000), not too flashy... something simple and classy.

So I'd love some suggestions on good places to shop, recommended ring settings for a pearl (I don't want it sticking out too far), and any additional info you can think of that I should know about when browsing pearls.

Thanks! )

First-graft Pearl

Welcome to PG, and congrats on this next step forward with your boyfriend!

There are several engagement ring threads in this forum, the most recent being Catahoula?s quest to create her dream ring, a ~10mm cultured freshwater set in white gold. The pearl and setting came from one of the PG members, Ashley, who?s company is purepearls.com. The pearl was extremely affordable (something like $60 if I remember correctly??).

I would suggest browsing through settings at Pure Pearls, Pearl Paradise, the pearl outlet (other vendors who post here). There are obviously tons of other places to shop?but you need a starting point, and if you read more posts you will see that these guys are all wonderful to work with  Contact the vendors directly if you have something specific in mind, or if you want to find something you don?t see online.

Do you know what kind of pearl you want? Pearls in rings take a beating, so you want to be sure you pick a pearl that will last. People around here seem to steer brides towards either natural or freshwater for a ring that?s going to hold up, and freshwater will be a a lot easier (and less expensive) to acquire. If you are worried about the pearl sticking out too far, then a plump freshwater button like Catahoula's might be a good idea. Take a look through the old posts!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Good luck with your search for your E-ring

Personally, I would advise against having a pearl e-ring, as pearls are very soft and are not suitable for day to day wear as a ring, and would stick to diamonds, rubies and sapphires, and other hard gemstones. However, one must do what the heart desires

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Oooo, I forgot to add, there is an e-mail seller, Lord of Gem Rings, and have a small selection of diamond pearl ring mounts

This e-mail seller has received rave reviews in a diamond-related forum

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Pearl Girl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Ashley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elisa View Post
    Welcome to PG, and congrats on this next step forward with your boyfriend!

There are several engagement ring threads in this forum, the most recent being Catahoula’s quest to create her dream ring, a ~10mm cultured freshwater set in white gold. The pearl and setting came from one of the PG members, Ashley, who’s company is purepearls.com. The pearl was extremely affordable (something like $60 if I remember correctly??).

You do remember correctly- that project was a lot of fun; it took about 2months and a million pictures in order to find just the right pearl for her... I think I ended up mounting one, and drilling a few extras that were equally as gorgeous for "back ups". The final setting was ideal for everyday wear and tear, and the pearl kind of hunkered down between the prongs.
    Ashley McNamara, CEO
    Pure Pearls
    Toll Free: 800-762-0977
    LIKE US on FaceBook
    FOLLOW US on Pinterest

thou shall read the book Senior Guide Member effisk's Avatar

any photos?

Default pearl engagement ring

Thanks everyone! I'll check out those vendors. I'll also look into freshwaters if they're really more durable. Maybe I'll do what Catahoula did and get some back-ups! I read through that thread and it was extremely informative. And her ring was SO beautiful.

)

Default Something like this...

I'm browsing Pure Pearls and I love this ring... like I said, not looking for anything elaborate, just simple and pretty but good quality. Any thoughts? Should I find something with a deeper bezel setting so that it's better protected?

http://www.purepearls.com/detail.aspx?ID=346

Thanks

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hi Kararush,

That is a gorgeous mounting, and perhaps you are correct, that pearl is quite high, but could be that with a more button shape pearl (somewhat flattened) would give the pearl a bit more protection. It is a very classy design! Do give Pure Pearls a call, as has been mentioned, any and all the wonderful online sellers give customized service!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thanks Pattye! I do like the button shape, that's a great idea. I will contact Pure Pearls.

First-graft Pearl

Let us know how it goes! We like pictures

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member laurenb's Avatar

Do you plan to wear your ring every day after you also have a band? If not, durability might not need to be one of your your top considerations.

http://www.kojimapearl.com/jewelry/rings/index.php has many beautiful rings, several with diamonds and several in white gold. None of the pearls are white, but they are rare and magnificent. I don't know if they do custom work, but you can contact the company and ask... or you may well end up with an answer about that on this thread.

Good luck finding something you love!
    Lauren's ETSY store is on hiatus!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Yeah, like this Kojima ring...

Name:  Kojima.jpg
Views: 7727
Size:  18.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1881.jpg
Views: 9878
Size:  12.3 KB

I am in love with it!

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Caitlin, what happened to the Preswine thread and his natural pearl engagement ring? I can't find it.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Magnificent Pearl Guru Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert