Thread: Pearls in Tokyo

tcbailey

Default Pearls in Tokyo

Hello. This is probably a very simple question, but I am new to this forum. I am travelling to Tokyo next week on business, and want to buy my wife some black pearls. The more expensive Tahitian pearls are probably out of my price range. I would like to buy a pearl necklace and earrings, and maybe a bracelet. Is there a shopping district in Tokyo where I can find reasonable prices and quality?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Not the most simple of questions, actually. There are a lot of companies in Kobe, but your selection is a bit more limited in Tokyo. There are a lot of companies in Tokyo, but it is very difficult to find a deal. Retail prices in Japan are very high, higher than US prices typically.

If you are just going to be in Tokyo, I suggest "Tokyo Pearl" in the Ginza district, +81-3-3543-1161. There are a lot of other "jewelry" companies there as well, but unfortunately they are quite expensive.

Bump... I'm visiting Tokyo this week and plan on going to Tokyo Pearl in Ginza. Have there been any updates to this information since 2006? I'm not necessarily after akoya, just pearls in general without a Mikimoto or high-end department store price tag.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharbourer View Post
    Bump... I'm visiting Tokyo this week and plan on going to Tokyo Pearl in Ginza. Have there been any updates to this information since 2006? I'm not necessarily after akoya, just pearls in general without a Mikimoto or high-end department store price tag.
    PearlHarbouer, you should buy your pearls from the awesome online vendors (Pearl Paradise, Pearls of Joy, Pure Pearls, etc) as you can't beat the price and quality! Save your time in Tokyo for other activities!