Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Default Jewellery for a funeral

Hi peeps,

I read in a book long time ago about suitable jewellery for a funeral.

I vaguely remember colour stones and yellow gold are out, white metal, diamonds and pearls are allowed.

I tried looking up this information on the web and drew a blank so far, and would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction on this subject matter, thanks in advance

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

nlerner

You mean pearls for the "Pearly Gates"?

Quote Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
    You mean pearls for the "Pearly Gates"?
    No, for the mouners, not for the deceased.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert barbie biggs's Avatar

Dear Dkan:
    I'm not sure most people in the U.S. are that formal these days. And many of us are not part of the fortune 500, (Yes maybe a few are), so not sure. I do have a book of ettiquette at home. We use it when my husband hosts a small dinner. (He's a chef of no particular notice but cooks great food, interned at the Heathman in Portland, OR). So we make menu's and fancy courses for family gatherings.
    The book may or may not talk about jewelry but covers many, many things so I will check it out. Be about 8 hours from now if you are still interested.
    barbie
    PS Not a fancy chef because we live in Albany. There isn't a restaurant there worth his skill.

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

Hi Dkan,
    I don't know of any books about this other than maybe the etiquette books.
    Personally, I always wear black jewellery when attending a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Sueki View Post
    Hi Dkan,
    I don't know of any books about this other than maybe the etiquette books.
    Personally, I always wear black jewellery when attending a funeral.
    I intend to keep it a black and white theme, pearls will be the whites

DK

Quote Originally Posted by barbie biggs View Post
    The book may or may not talk about jewelry but covers many, many things so I will check it out. Be about 8 hours from now if you are still interested.
    barbie
    Thanks Barbie in advance for checking it out. Funeral is not until Mon 24 Nov 08, so I have plenty of time to prepare

DK

I believe the book where I got the information about what not to wear is a coffee table book on royal jewellery of the British Monarchy.

DK

Dear Dkan:
    It never hurts to take the time to be in good taste. People do remember these things....forever. It's kind of you to be concerned.
    barbie

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Actually, no jewelry is acceptable as you are supposed to be in mourning and much too preoccupied with your sorrow and sympathy for the family that you have no concern for fashion or vanity at all. To wear jewelry is considered gauche and in poor taste. Wedding rings and mourning pins are acceptable, however. I do not believe watches are even acceptable as clocks are to be stopped until after the funeral.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by knotty panda View Post
    Actually, no jewelry is acceptable as you are supposed to be in mourning and much too preoccupied with your sorrow and sympathy for the family that you have no concern for fashion or vanity at all. To wear jewelry is considered gauche and in poor taste. Wedding rings and mourning pins are acceptable, however. I do not believe watches are even acceptable as clocks are to be stopped until after the funeral.
    Hmmm, have not come across this one before, sounds quite old fashion IMHO.

Since I have been pushed to the back of the pecking order, and none of my requests for his funeral have been honoured, all because my partner died without leaving a will, and there is still a huge amount of hostility towards me from his surviving children and ex-wife, I shall concentrate on dressing up for the part.

It helps to keep my occupied

All this outpouring of grief from them is wearing thin, since they did not give 2 hoots about him for the past 4y+

Ah well, things happen for very good reasons, and life is very cruel at times.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by barbie biggs View Post
    It's kind of you to be concerned.
    The motive is a rather selfish one, as I should have been the chief mourner at my partner's funeral.

However, due to circumstances beyond my control, I am now at the back of the pecking order. And there is quite a bit of unpleasantry about, and I just want to rise above it all.

Dressing the part of chief mourner is my way of coping with the situation.

DK

Dear Dkan:
    I lost a partner/husband once myself and can sympathize. Also, no grief is totally altruistic. We all wonder "Why me", whether it comes from the one who is gone or those we are stuck sharing the earth with does not seem something over which most of us have any control. Good luck with the coping mechanisms.
    barbie
    PS There is real grief there somewhere, even if it is difficult to find under all the other cr*p life dishes out. Hold on to your sense of humor, but you seem good at that.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member robinmce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knotty panda View Post
    What Knotty says is what I was also taught.
    "When in doubt, tone down - tone down your clothes, your jewelry, your makeup and your hair. Simple earrings necklace and watch are acceptable as well as wedding rings."

That being said, pearls are always classy and acceptable and any coping mechanism for your grief is just fine

Sorry for you loss
    Robin

Just watched "It's A Wonderful Life" on DVD, it's true about this film being a great pick me up

I'll be wearing black head to toe, no make up.

Don't quite know how to tone down at work, as I don't have a single black/grey/white shirt!

DK