Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Member MistofCassiopeia's Avatar

Default Massive South Sea pearls in Dubai

Hi everyone, I'm finally back!

I saw so much jewelry in Dubai it makes my head spin! I must have visited over 150 different places! Now, pearls:

1. Dubai is the place to find some massive pearls. It was not unusual to find 15mm to 21mm pearl necklaces. I tried them on and it's like I'm Wilma Flinstone, they are really heavy. The south sea pearls were really nice, especially from Paspaley and Mikimoto. I tried on a 17mm south sea pearl ring from Mikimoto ($40,000) but was not, believe it or not, really impressed. I prefer a nicer, smaller more exotic pearl. The salesperson at Mikimoto, ahem, stressed that they are the only ones with the AAA pearls (in their opinion no one else does) (I know, thems fightin' words). Their pearl education seems to be minimal and are only told what they should know. Not many customers are buying their pearls (according to a reliable source that I cannot name).

2. Paspaley pearls were also 15mm + and really nice, with much prettier designs than Mikimoto. They had some interesting soft triangular pearl shapes that I have never seen before. They were made into pendants (with cuffs) and went with a set of earrings. It was amazing how they matched. It makes me wonder if they were nucleated that way, because they matched too perfectly.

3. I saw some amazing jewelry, a 52 carat skating rink diamond ring (emerald or step cut). Lots of the big 3, emeralds, sapphires and rubies. Once you've seen the jewelry in Dubai, you are really spoiled for anything else.

Overall, I saw from the very poor pearl strands to the extremely large. Interestingly, I didn't see one pearl that I liked, i.e. interesting colour. The tahitians were all pretty predictable, nothing really to write home about. South Seas were either yellow or white/silver.

Some of the stores selling pearls had them in closed cabinets with hot lighting and when I held the pearls they were really hot (don't worry, I gave them a piece of my mind!) Paspaley, on the other hand, train in Australia and learn how to showcase their pearls. I was quite impressed with that.

So...since I wasn't able to find me a nice pearl I went for the next best thing - tanzanite!

If I remember anything else (brain fog from jet lag) I will write more. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
    Debra

oh yes, I went to the Pearl Museum in the National Bank of Dubai - only to be told that it was by appointment only....bleh, but I did get to go to the Chairman's office! What a view!

I was given 2 sets of goodies as a consolation gift (lol), 2 CD's and 2 brochures about the museum. If anyone is interested in the 2nd set, please let me know.

pattye

Mist-

Thank you sooooo much for the informative report! Such fun! Sorry you missed the Pearl Museum. My guess would also be that the triangular shapes were nucleated that way. Way cool!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert barbie biggs's Avatar

Tringles:
    I have always loved those things. They look so neet! I even have a couple in a strand of exotics from Jeremy that have that shape. Non-nucleated freshwater version of course.
    Funny thing is, until you mentioned it today, I never connected that shape with nucleation...DUH!!! Oh, of course they are nucleated to look that way; they are giant SSP's! What a dope I am.
    I am so happy you got to Dubai and saw all those pearls and gems in person! What a great time.
    Thanks so much for sharing all this with us.
    What a fun report!!!
    barbie

GemGeek

Really? I don't think Tringles are nucleated with anything but a round nucleus. Just a creative way to use the cute top-shaped pearls.

Satine De La Courcel

Quote Originally Posted by MistofCassiopeia View Post
    oh yes, I went to the Pearl Museum in the National Bank of Dubai - only to be told that it was by appointment only....bleh, but I did get to go to the Chairman's office! What a view!

I was given 2 sets of goodies as a consolation gift (lol), 2 CD's and 2 brochures about the museum. If anyone is interested in the 2nd set, please let me know.
    Oh wow what a trip! Glad you had fun! Sorry you missed the Pearl museum.. Bleh..

cheers
    Ash

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly Shell's Avatar

That sounds like a really special trip! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I do love those Paspaley Tringles! I got to try on a strand of tringles down in Darwin. It was lovely, but a little out of my price range.

I agree with Blaire, I'm pretty sure they use round nuclei.

Do share about the Tanzanite you found!
    Donna
    Graduate Gemologist & Pearl Devotee

judimcc6

Did you go to Dubai to check out the jewelry? That would be a great reason to go, just out of curiosity. I think with such large sizes (18-21mm), it can be a case of diminishing returns. You have to have the right Style to carry pearls that are that large. I am trying to decide what my optimum size of pearls is...

First-graft Pearl Senior Member robinmce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barbie biggs View Post
    Tringles:
    I have always loved those things. They look so neet! I even have a couple in a strand of exotics from Jeremy that have that shape.
    barbie

What is a tringle?? Ive never heard of this before??
    Robin

pattye

They had some interesting soft triangular pearl shapes that I have never seen before.
    I guess I am not sure exactly either, now. Hopefully Mist can post a photo of something similar? Are we talking a drop pearl with a pointy top, not a longer drop???? I was picturing something more flatish, like a high quality coin pearl in a triangle shape. Sounds like I have the wrong idea, however, whatever the shape, I am sure I would love a set!

Here is a link to the website: The pearls are under "Classics" (at the very end) and they are next to the drop earrings with the citrine stones. They are a pair of earrings on the top right with white gold cuffs.

http://www.paspaleypearls.com/english/home.htm

pattye

Thanks very much, Mist!

Ah, yes, I see now! Need a lot of pearls to match a pair that shape! They are very lovely, though! My thought was incorrect, those would no doubt have a round nucleus----interesting earrings for sure!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member robinmce's Avatar

Very pretty shape.. I now see that the word was triangle as in geometric shape, tringle being a typo!
    I still would not have imagined that shape without your photos though.
    Thanks robin

Pretty aren't they? And it doesn't really matter one way or the other but I call them tringles because I've seen them advertised that way. Mostly I see the term used with diamonds but I saw it with pearls once and just borrowed it. I was in LA at the time.
    At any rate, that triangular shape is really intriguing to me. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet they say.
    They look pretty sweet in WSS's don't they?
    barbie

I think diamonds are actually usually called trillions. Calling them tringles is maybe pretty much a thing done just in my family to humor me because I'm the family "pearl girl". My Mom and sister were/are both diamond girls.
    Anybody else?
    barbie