Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking thrift store find: too good to be true?

I found these at a thrift store for $4.50. They are heavy, pass every test I've found to give them. I work in a crystal shop and know a real pearl when I see one, and I have no doubt these are actual pearls. One has a small purple stain which would probably polish right off, and there are a couple of tiny scratches, but otherwise they're in great shape considering where they've been. Yet, they were obviously restrung by a child or a moron--they're on the cheesiest possible dollar-store type of line, with a cheap screw-on clasp and steel separator beads.

I plan to get them restrung by a friend; my question is, what do I have here? What might they be worth? Should I wear them freely? They are very shimmery and stand out to the eye. Quite beautiful.

I had added an image to this post which doesn't seem to be showing up. How do I post images here?

Here is the link to the photo on my facebook page:

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php...8865823&ref=mf

pattye

Some good close up detailed photos, of lusterous pearls, and any blemishes will help us take an educated guess---which we are happy to do!

Thanks for replying, pattye... I had tried to post an image, but it didn't show up so I posted a link to the image on my facebook page. Hope that helps! I used this one because my hand is there to give an idea of size...

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I think you need to be a member to see the photo on Facebook. Try saving the photo on your computer and loading it directly into a post. It won't work if you post a link, or try to post the picture here from the Facebook link (like the first attempt).

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Yes, click on "Go Advanced: button under your post. There is a section called "manage attachments. Click on that to bring up the window that lets you select and then upload photos from your computer. Attach them, click to submit your post, and the photos will appear.

I uploaded a file, hope that helps. This was taken outdoors in bright light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In the photo they appear to be imitation pearls. But direct sunlight is never a good studio setting for pearls. Can you shoot just a couple of them under a macro-lense?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Yes, try standing with them indoors next to an open door or window for diffuse light-- it will bring out the luster more. Maybe your camera has a flower icon you can select indicating close-up/macro.

Okay... here are a couple of different shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

GemGeek

Jeremy, those remind me of my eBay "South Sea Pearls"! (Which were honking round Chinese Freshwaters.)

whoops, I posted two that were the same. Well, that should be enough, I imagine. Thanks for your help.

Hmmm
    Can you post the other one?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

Can you show us a couple of different pearls? In the first photos, I would say they were imitation "shell pearls" (Majorca etc) but in the photo of just the 2, they look more like big fat FW - need to see a couple more individual pearls to say, really.... how does the tooth test go?

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Cathybear's Avatar

They are very round. Have you rubbed one against your teeth?