Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Default A review of Mastoloni.com

Hey! this LINK was on the same page!

Headline:
    Animal Rescue News: PearlParadise.com to Give Away $1,000,000 in Dazzling Pearls to Non-Profits That Stage Silent/Live Auction Fundraisers

The article explains the details and then, it says this:

Shepherd's innovative business model has attracted major media attention in such publications as:
    • "The New York Times"
    • "Newsweek"
    • "Inc"
    • "Investors Business Daily"
    • "InStyle"
    • "Modern Bride"

I wonder if the CPAA has read this?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Diver Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Mikeyy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Hey! this LINK was on the same page!

Headline:
    Animal Rescue News: PearlParadise.com to Give Away $1,000,000 in Dazzling Pearls to Non-Profits That Stage Silent/Live Auction Fundraisers

The article explains the details and then, it says this:

Shepherd's innovative business model has attracted major media attention in such publications as:
    ? "The New York Times"
    ? "Newsweek"
    ? "Inc"
    ? "Investors Business Daily"
    ? "InStyle"
    ? "Modern Bride"

I wonder if the CPAA has read this?
    What a coincidence.

pbazar

in fact it has

pbazar

The CPAA is not in a battle with PP PG It is a very interesting concept I hope many dogs and cats can be saved

This came up 2 weeks or so I google pearl news

Hi Pete!

The rescue work was not the topic of discussion. We all know Jeremy does that.

It was the reference to his innovative business model. His business model contains more innovation than than finding a clever way to support the animals.

Pardon me if I seem to be blurring the CPAA with various members of it. Since Pearldiver was proven to be using or hacking Mastaloni's email and signing up with the same IP, I can't keep track of who's who! So, I'm blurring them all together.

Pearl Guide would certainly be responsible if the same kinds of things were allowed to happen here. It would not reflect well on P-G at all, so we don't go there.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

This is a review. This is feedback. It's just my opinion.

I just went and visited Mastoloni.com. I wanted to get a sense of them from it. I saw some great pearls, really fine, though some of them were worn by untastefully dressed, come-hither expressioned models. That part is a turn off for me. those pictures are geared to get males' minds (or other parts) going, by associating pearls with seduction. IMO. Though the photography was high quality, it was misdelivered.

It is not a straight forward website. You have to wait for pictures to slide in and out. (That is so yesterday.) Newbies surfing by there will most likely not know the Mastoloni name, most likely, so I think they need those BBB and "hacker safe" icons for reassurance.

But, Mastoloni does not use them on the front page. The front page is like the first paragraph in a news article, It should have the headlines and lots of links so people don't have to wait for things to slide in and out until you (finally) reach the item you wanted. No altering the order that I saw. Their front page is merely a foyer, and is not of any discernible use.

The "enter" stuff on the first page was popular back at the turn of the century(21st), but now most people realize the front page can be used much better for sales, than that.

The people you want coming to you online are people who want good value for their money. That looks like a slick magazine appealing to snobs for their mistresses, because those models don't look like wives. Ick.

Using high fashion models in magazines is still being done, but it has passed its heyday for online sales. Market studies show that sales go up if the item is not on a model! That may be counterintuitive, but there you are.

Another bothersome thing is the website is not up to date. Only 2007 and earlier can be accessed. 2008 doesn't have active links! That is a mistake and may cause a lot of surfers to move on. They are looking for 2008 right now. When one has the words there, but no links, it shrieks of lack of attention to details, which is not what you want with those very pricey items. How pricey are they, anyway? Mastoloni won't tell the viewer. They just say "contact us" That is utterly ineffectual. It appears to be more of the snobbery like "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

In short, this is not a user friendly website. It isn't designed to make easy, safe sales. And it is not a great model for the folks who buy Mastoloni products and are selling to retailers.
    Caitlin

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar

Thanks for the detailed review of their website, Caitlin! I agree with you that the use of fashion models doesn't seem to be entirely in good taste. The website does not seemed designed to serve as an online store, but more as a promotional tool, I think. Have to say though, that some of the designs are really nice. I liked some of the bracelets. But as there are no prices, it is hard to judge whether they are good value for money or not.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I agree as well. You are starting to get this online thing Caitlin Your comments mirrored my thoughts about the site when I first saw it as well.

They are advertising on Google adwords, which is surprising and I am not sure why. They do not sell anything and they only sell wholesale.

When the little incident on CPAA happened I noticed something strange as well. They began advertising on our company name, pearlparadise.com.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&f...e.com&aq=f&oq=

But only on our company name. I could not find them on any other pearl-company-name keywords. I wonder why that is... It began before I posted about the IP discovery...

Why do they bother? Customers can't buy from them anyway. They are trying to ride on your coat tails.
    Caitlin

I most certainly took it as a compliment. And I reciprocated!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mastoloni.com

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Jeremy("An animal lover who shares his own home with two dogs and three rabbits".),

You ... have ... ***House Rabbits***!!!

Please pardon the following outburst:
    Banzai!!! Banzai!!! Banzai!!!

I always wondered how you got such high-quality Tahitian "black pearls" =:3 ))

- CarolK
    (proud "parent" to 13 House Rabbits over the past 12 years)

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

In the UK no ads came up when I searched...now one does.
    It is what I would call a 20th century expensive ad agency website. Designed to get the agency lots of awards and make the client feel great about themselves.

Yes, house rabbits - three of them - we had four. We lost one about a month ago. We had two bonded pairs. Most of the animal rescue activities I am involved in here are related to rabbits and dogs. We spay or neuter every rabbit that comes into the Santa Monica shelter and re-home them.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

I know it is a serious business, but there is certainly a joke in spaying or neutering every rabbit and trying to keep up...

Keeping up is impossible It is a never-ending battle. For some reason, pet stores love to sell rabbits in pairs; a boy and a girl because they get along so well - too well.