Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

No wonder you treasure the pearly gifts from your children, Lisa! They are very special.

Was the wedding gown your mother's?

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Hi, PD! Yes, that was my Mother's wedding gown, but her version was very much a 50s gown. She had a Peterpan collar, sweetheart bodice and full length narrow sleeves. She was also bustier, so I just constructed my own top over her bodice. (The photograph is warped a bit, I actually do have a bosom, lol) I'll find her portrait and add it.

My first pearls were all from my friends.

My son bought me a cfw set a couple of years back that I made into a necklace that I twist and wear as a bracelet. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  73.9 KB

I've bought some lovely pearls myself since 2009, but The best pearls I've got are from dear, dear people, close to my heart.
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

Caitlin - what are PPBs??

Lisa - you look beautiful in your wedding dress and your pearls are lovely!
    Last edited by Sanippy; 04-25-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Thank you, hanadama.
    I've enjoyed the threads you've started
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-24-2015 at 11:51 PM.

hanadama,

PPB's = "pearl-plated beads" -- a term referring to thin nacre akoyas. I think Caitlin coined the phrase.
    A bead with so little nacre on it that the bead shows through lacks luster and can hardly be considered a pearl.

Edit: Hmm, re-reading Caitlin's post, I think she meant the term to refer to bead-nucleated akoyas generally.

Certainly compared to solid-nacre pearls, any pearl with a bead inside is literally a nacre-coated bead. I suppose it's all how you look at it. Akoyas have the thinnest nacre, Tahitians have more (.8mm or more), and SSP have the most. But there's a bead in all of them, unless they are keshi.

For my part, as long as the nacre is thick enough for both luster and durability, I don't have an issue with their having a bead inside.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 04-25-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks Pearl Dreams!

Part of me would love to own naturals, and part of me wonders if their luster would actually be better than the most lustrous akoyas.

My first pearls are a collection of cheapie freshwater buttons from Thailand. I actually really like one of the rings even though it's cheap and the pearl isn't amazing.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  48.2 KBX
Views: 633
Size:  60.1 KB

My first special pearls are new and I've only owned for less than a month but I've spammed them all over this forum already! My Pearls of Joy metallic fireball, Mikimoto 7.5mm akoyas from my mum, and my anniversary present from my boyfriend (which I can have officially tomorrow!) Pearls of Joy 9-10mm metallics.

Views: 633
Size:  54.9 KB

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

A great design can make up for a lesser pearl, but heck, you can always replace the pearl with something better later. And rings take a beating, so why not wait until the pearl requires replacing. Some of the things I love the best turned out to be inexpensive.

Inexpensive, but still delighting us! Isn't it great that we can enjoy both?

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

No one needs a picture but my first pearls were the ubiquitious 80s rice pearls. I was 11 at the time and my parents gave me a bracelet and necklace set. My first "real" jewelry! I felt so proud and grown up.

What a fun thread! I'm enjoying looking at your first pearls
    Here are my first pearls, they were a gift:
    Name:  mitthalsband.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  67.7 KB

And here are the first pearls I bought:
    Name:  multihalsband.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  armband.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  83.4 KB
    When I was 16 I had saved up money to buy my mum two strands, one was made into a necklace and the other into two bracelets. (Unfortunately mum lost one of the bracelets).

I have yet to buy myself pearls, but I have a mental list of pearls I'd like And the more time I spend on this forum, the longer the list is getting...
    "All of our humanity is dependent upon recognising the humanity in others" - Desmond Tutu

Ooooo, Rebecka, are you patient or what! That's so sweet of you, to take care of your mum first. Lucky mum

Lisa c, mum's always taking care of everyone and she's never made herself a priority, so it's a tremendous joy for me to be able to do things like this for her.
    "All of our humanity is dependent upon recognising the humanity in others" - Desmond Tutu

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Ok so I am going to play also. These aren't exactly my first experience with pearls, they are a replacement of a pair stolen from me right after college years ago. The originals had larger pearls and were almost exactly the same as the replacements (My Aunt had given the originals to me from her Second husband.) I found the replacements online quite by accident and got them for nostalgia.

Name:  Aunties Cuffs.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  52.6 KB