Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    jerin

Godd luck on Ebay, Mervione!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member J Marcus's Avatar

Bodecia--

If all the eBay sellers were like you there would be no problem. I do know that there are ethical sellers on eBay and have both bought and sold many things in many categories myself. I don't think that selling on eBay should, of itself, do anything to a persons esteem. However, people being what they are, when there are so many unethical sellers on eBay, I think that it cannot help but do harm to your business and that of all the other ethical sellers. My problem with eBay is eBay's claim of non-responsibility and their consequent lack of responsibility for policing their site. It is my opinion that they run their site so that 1. It allows unethical persons to easily commit fraud with little chance of consequences; 2. ...that in fact, this manner of running their site actually encourages and perpetuates fraudulent practices and 3. they are profiting greatly from this fraud!!! Since they knowingly, I believe, receive monies from the commission of fraud, I believe they have a responsibility to try to bring it to rein.

However, to you I say good luck with your enterprises both with and outside of eBay. If you operate as ethically as you are able, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

As for a way to put up a website easily, look up CityMax. If you can use MS Word, you can put up a website with them. (eBay owns CityMax, by the way...)

Marc
    http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Hi Marc
    There has just been a judgement from a French court against eBay, holding them responsible for copyright breaches for designer accessories. It is being appealed.

pattye

Mervione,

You might also take a look at www.etsy.com. It is not an auction site at all, and features handmade items. I am trying it out myself.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Marcus View Post
    It is my opinion that they run their site so that 1. It allows unethical persons to easily commit fraud with little chance of consequences; 2. ...that in fact, this manner of running their site actually encourages and perpetuates fraudulent practices and 3. they are profiting greatly from this fraud!!! Since they knowingly, I believe, receive monies from the commission of fraud, I believe they have a responsibility to try to bring it to rein.

http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html
    I'm not sure this comment belongs in this forum, but in defence of ebay, I would say categorically that it is not the only venue in which fraud exists. I was selling at a fair last weekend, and my "competition" was selling pearls branded as natural - all CFWP - for several times what any of us would or should be happy to pay - mostly they were dull, eggy and blemished, for several hundred dollars per strand. All with a gemmologist's qualification proudly positioned on the stall. Still fraud? It is in my books! I know it is small scale compared to ebay, but it is still part of a general picture in which the consumer feel they cannot trust vendors...

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Hi Marc
    There has just been a judgement from a French court against eBay, holding them responsible for copyright breaches for designer accessories. It is being appealed.
    Yes thank you, I heard about that! I knew there was a good reason that I'm so fond of the French! Maybe if we get an administration in Washington D. C. that doesn't think that regulation is a four letter word we might take a lesson from the French. After all the financial shocks, scandals and outright disasters of the last 7+ years, from the top of the corporate business ladder on down, I think it is time to bring the Era of Rogue Business Practices to a close before we all end up in the poorhouse!

Marc

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member laurenb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Marcus View Post
    Bodecia--
    My problem with eBay is eBay's claim of non-responsibility and their consequent lack of responsibility for policing their site. .
    I don't understand the rancor towards eBay. PayPal protection and feedback is plenty to keep trouble at "bay"... unless one is actively taking risks and buying sketchy goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerida View Post
    I'm not sure this comment belongs in this forum, but in defence of ebay, I would say categorically that it is not the only venue in which fraud exists. I was selling at a fair last weekend, and my "competition" was selling pearls branded as natural - all CFWP - for several times what any of us would or should be happy to pay - mostly they were dull, eggy and blemished, for several hundred dollars per strand. All with a gemmologist's qualification proudly positioned on the stall. Still fraud? It is in my books! I know it is small scale compared to ebay, but it is still part of a general picture in which the consumer feel they cannot trust vendors...
    As you will read in a subsequent post by Nerida, I completely mistook her meaning in the above post! I shall edit the following paragraph so that it doesn't point my finger at her at all. She was saying that she wasn't sure that her comment belonged on this thread. ...and actually, I think that it's just fine here. However, I hope that I am not tooting my horn too loudly to say that I think that what I wrote here has merit in a more general sense and shall let the body of it remain. (...with all due regard and my apologies to Nerida.)

------------

These comments that I made and have made before are not slander in any sense of the word. They are my honest opinions, stated as such and drawn from what I believe is quite solid evidence and long experience. If there is any place where I feel that there is an appropriate forum for the subject of ethics in the pearl business, I believe that it is here on the Pearl Guide Forum. Most, if not all of us that take part in this forum have a stake or interest of some kind in the pearl business and many of the members are among the "movers and shakers" of the pearl business. It is my opinion that, to one degree or another, those who practice unethically do real harm in a number of ways not only to those whom they defraud directly, but to those of us who do business ethically. When one calls out for debate and possible censure what we believe are the unethical practices of others on a public media forum, we are helping in at least our own, small way to fufill the duty of a free press.

Best regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by J Marcus; 07-22-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: To correct errors

Quote Originally Posted by laurenb View Post
    I don't understand the rancor towards eBay. PayPal protection and feedback is plenty to keep trouble at "bay"... unless one is actively taking risks and buying sketchy goods.
    I don't believe that this is a matter of rancor. In fact, there are many things that I like and admire about eBay. However, I feel that there is this one area where they fall down on their duty and responsibility. As well, I do not understand how, in good conscience, they can accept what may well be millions of dollars that are the spoils of fraudulent practices. I don't know why so many people fail to take proper precautions nor seek proper redress that is available to them. Nonetheless, it believe it is obvious, if one takes the time and trouble to do some research on the subject, that this is in fact what happens. The fact that persons are vulnerable to unethical practices does not make it OK for other persons, either by design or through slovenly ignorance, to take advantage of them and it is not OK for others, even if they themselves are not committing specific fraudulent acts, to knowingly profit from such unethical practices--especially when it is reasonably within their power to substantially reduce these unethical business practices. I suggest that they find out what portion of their income or at least profits derives from the fraudulent practices by unethical eBay sellers and devote this ill-gotten gain to policing their site.

Marc

Hi Marc, sorry, didn't mean that the forum wasn't the right place, I meant the thread wasn't the right place to speak of fraud as practiced by my competitor last weekend (ie, not about buying and selling on ebay specifically).

I am more than happy to personally speak out against fraud and unethical practices wherever they occur - my point was just that ebay is not the only venue where these things happen. Like you, Laurenb and many others, I believe ebay is relatively safe as a user, it is just that it provides an avenue for shonky people to do business in an unethical way, just as some other places do as well - like my fair organizers unwittingly did last weekend.

I certainly haven't got any negative thoughts about your ebay comments at all - sorry if I implied that I did.

Nerida,
    As I have stated in my edit above, it was my mistake and you have my apologies. I'm sorry to read what you had to endure at that fair. It does tend to make steam come out of ones ears, doesn't it?!?!

Best regards,
    Marc

All good, JMarcus - I really didn't make myself too clear the first time round.

[QUOTE=J Marcus;36251 It is my opinion that, to one degree or another, those who practice unethically do real harm in a number of ways not only to those whom they defraud directly, but to those of us who do business ethically. [/QUOTE]

Wow, I couldn't agree more with this comment! Whether it is stealing copy and photos from another's website, lying about products, or providing an avenue for fraudulent trade, unethical businesses harm far more than their customers. The reputation and validity of our industry is at stake, and all stakeholders should speak out when appropriate!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Cathybear's Avatar

WOW! Nerida! Your web site look great!!!

Thank you so much Cathy!! It actually isn't "live" yet - still waiting for the payment gateway to be up and running and a few final revisions. Weird, the gateway people need to see the site in existence before approval of the facility, and yet, obviously if the site is up, you expect the gateway to be there.... by Friday it should all be done!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Cathybear's Avatar

Oh sorry, I think I just 'announced' it!! lol