Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you care for your freshwater pearls?

Hi I'm totally new to pearl-guide and pearls in general and have lots of questions! Thanks in advance for all your generous time and education.

So how do you store your pearls?
    1) In the jewelry box it came in
    2) In your own jewelry box
    3) In a satin, cloth bag
    4) Other

Is there a recommended "best way" to store your pearls?

Thanks!
    Tony

jerin

Quote Originally Posted by pandaexpress View Post
    Hi I'm totally new to pearl-guide and pearls in general and have lots of questions! Thanks in advance for all your generous time and education.

So how do you store your pearls?
    1) In the jewelry box it came in
    2) In your own jewelry box
    3) In a satin, cloth bag
    4) Other

Is there a recommended "best way" to store your pearls?

Thanks!
    Tony
    Hi Tony
    and welcome to the forum.
    If you read the posts under the thread "Pearls and Pearl Care" you will find a lot of posts reg storage and care.

In short: as long as you wear your pearls and put them in the bathroom while taking a shower from time to time, they will do great as they need a bit of moisture. Freshwaters will fare better than Akoyas, as they have only a rather thin coating of nacre, if these pearls dry up, the nacre will crack.

All thre options above are OK, a 4th option would be silk pouches (can be ordered from China). If you have valuable pearls you might store them in a safe, then the original boxes lined with satin might be too large, so pouches would be better. And if you have been here on the forum it will take you not very long to become pearl addicted!

Default Thanks Jerin

Ah ha! I hadn't made it over to that forum yet so I will go there and continue learning! Thanks for the direction and for your thoughts.

Love a poll!

Freshwater and akoya strands get stored in their original open boxes, on an elbow-height shelf in the clothes closet conveniently located off the master bath, so no humidty issues. (Great for pearls, not so great otherwise.) No fear of settling dust as they get worn and handled frequently enough. Freshwater and akoya earrings are stored in pairs around the perimeter of one open satin-lined box so they don't scratch each other. Actually, it's an old costume jewelry box, but it works well for me.

Default bag

If one would like the little bag approach, where can one get a nice little bag?
    I gave some pearls to my daughter and would like to get her a better storage option.
    Jonathan

Little silk pouches are a really practical option but having tried it, I'm worried about the pearls scratching each other - they knock together as you remove them/replace them in the pouch and I'm concerned all that rubbing around will eventually dull them. I've mostly gone back to their original boxes so that the pearls aren't touching each other.

For similar reasons I've developed an aversion to wearing multiple strands of pearls (despite some necklaces being bought for specifically that purpose). I cringe as I can hear them clicking around against each other as I move about. Am I being silly?

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

For all those in the U.K., Ryman have a great 5 drawer chest. It's covered with faux leather and the drawers are lined with velour. I just bought one yesterday to store my unfinshed strands in. It's perfect for the purpose, in my opinion.
    PG - I wear multiple strands a lot and haven't noticed any ill effects. And I love to hear the pearls clinking together.
    And here's how I keep my own pearl jewellery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sueki I love that little cabinet, I must get myself along to Rymans this week, thank you so much for the picture. It was good to get the reassurance about pearl 'wear'. I've read a great deal about how fragile pearls are that I've worked myself into a state of confusion, but I feel better now.

PG,
    The pic. isn't of the Ryman chest. The drawer in the pic. is one of those from Ikea - plain, unfinished wood, they come in sets of two drawers, which I lined with velvet and spray-painted the outsides.
    The Ryman chest is very similar, and if they'd had them when I made up the Ikea drawers, I'd have saved myself a lot of time and effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Sueki View Post
    PG,
    The pic. isn't of the Ryman chest. The drawer in the pic. is one of those from Ikea - plain, unfinished wood, they come in sets of two drawers, which I lined with velvet and spray-painted the outsides.
    The Ryman chest is very similar, and if they'd had them when I made up the Ikea drawers, I'd have saved myself a lot of time and effort...
    You've certainly done a lovely job of lining and finishing the drawers, it looks great. And the pearls are lovely too, I think I can see the baroque freshwaters featured in another thread, worn as three together in graduating lengths. That picture gave me the confidence to order a strand from PP.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

Yes, but it's the Sea of Cortez strand that you cleverly beaded yourself that has must lust instincts working overtime....

As for how I store my pearls, I use silk bags - Chinese larger ones (not the small pouches - I lay the pearls flat in them and stack them... would of course, rather the purpose built cabinet of 5 drawers! In saying that though Sueki, I'm thinking that with all those unfinished strands from pearllunar - you probably need it now! By the way, they looked fabulous and I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Thanks, Nerida,
    Those strands haven't even half-filled the chest, so lots of room left.......
    Be sure that I will post pics. of completed pieces when I've got something finished.

Jonathan, I've got a couple of silk bags here.
    Black, red, or teal blue.
    If you let me know which colour you prefer, I'll happily post one to you.

WeeGem

Quote Originally Posted by Sueki View Post
    For all those in the U.K., Ryman have a great 5 drawer chest. It's covered with faux leather and the drawers are lined with velour. I just bought one yesterday to store my unfinshed strands in. It's perfect for the purpose, in my opinion.
    PG - I wear multiple strands a lot and haven't noticed any ill effects. And I love to hear the pearls clinking together.
    And here's how I keep my own pearl jewellery.

Thanks so much for the tip Sueki! Off to buy one now

So where are you getting these bags? I'm seen some pearls sold with them, but not by themselves.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nerida View Post
    Yes, but it's the Sea of Cortez strand that you cleverly beaded yourself that has must lust instincts working overtime....

As for how I store my pearls, I use silk bags - Chinese larger ones (not the small pouches - I lay the pearls flat in them and stack them... would of course, rather the purpose built cabinet of 5 drawers! In saying that though Sueki, I'm thinking that with all those unfinished strands from pearllunar - you probably need it now! By the way, they looked fabulous and I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

The bags are available at most jewelry supply stores. The Pearl Doctor site also has them but I think it comes in a set. (thepearldoctor.com).