Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Okay, I'll go again: I finally got around taking pictures of my dear blue-ish Sea of Cortez pearl earrings. I had my goldsmith add a tiny clasp to the herradura findings I got from the farm. I love how the overall look is still delicate but I can exchange my pearls with whatever looped treasure I have (the herradura finding to me is absolute perfection - no loose parts, secure fit, hiding the pierced holes, all the things I want and need!). We also added little tanzanite briolettes (from THE maker of wonderful briolettes, Steve at briolettes.com). Again, I love tone-in-tone pearl and gemstone combos.
    I call these my Tears of Joy earrings - and they bring me loads of joy! Thanks again, Douglas and team!

Name:  soc-tears-of-joy-07-2018-47.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  soc-tears-of-joy-07-2018-46.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  66.5 KB
    Obligatory mermaid shot (funny how the American and European 14k look so different under water):
    Name:  soc-tears-of-joy-07-2018-48.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  soc-tears-of-joy-07-2018-45.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  58.6 KB
    Last edited by morella; 07-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.

What a genius idea! I'm always afraid I'll lose part of a drop if its on an open loop or on a changeable French hook.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Naan's Avatar

Wonderful photo on the flower! And amazing pearls!

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

I love all your pieces morella!! Such awesome inspiration!
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The Tears of Joy earrings are beautiful!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

what a good idea !! that looks lovely !!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I love your Tears of Joy earrings. I love the earring, the interchangable loop, the pearls, the briolettes, the photography, everything!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Those earrings are stunning. They manage to be classic but modern at the same time!
    You can never be too dressed-up.

Thanks everyone!

First-graft Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by morella View Post
    Hogging away on this thread.... sorry, not sorry.
    Here are the seafoam Tahitian spike earrings I made. Iím very much at the beginning of all of this, so I 3D modelled my design in the computer and had it cast/3D printed in silver (because I love hinged jewellery and my metal smithing/soldering skills arenít good enough to make things like this by hand).
    I love how the mint green garnets go with this gorgeous pearl colour! Pearls are from Cees, always a pleasure.
    Attachment 60898

Attachment 60899

Attachment 60900

Attachment 60901
    Loving the under-water shots to show the true colours!
    Attachment 60902
    These are stunning! Morella, could you please explain a little bit about the 3D modelling with the 3D casting/printing?
    I have done casting with the lost wax technique in my work. I would love to learn about this. Who prints or casts for you? How does that work? Thanks

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

There are programs that professional jewelers can use to design on a computer. Your skills in carving ( my dentist wants to make jewellery too ) will go a long way to making your own models. You can order the wax on line. It comes in different shapes to make life a bit easier. ( (I once spend hours trying to create an even flat top modern ring.... only to find out that you can buy the exact shape in a wax cylinder and just slice off the thickness you want.) ugh Once you have your wax and use your old tools to carve what you want you can send it to a company that will create a mold and cast it in silver.. or gold...but stick with silver to start. If you want to make several they will. Generally there is a flat fee for making the mold and then you pay for the metal used. Here it's about 50AUD$ for the mold to make several pieces or one off. In Bali I think its about 35AUD . We have a couple of companies here that will do it , they sell metals . I'm sure there are lots of people where you are that sell metals and do casting.

In my case I used the freeware program Blender to model the design from scratch, then sent the final file to a company who does the wax 3D printing and casting in silver. It was about $25 for the pair in sterling silver in this case.

First-graft Pearl

Thanks Katbran-- you made me laugh about the flat top modern ring. I have done that with other things-- slaved away and then found out I could have just bought something ready- made.

Thanks Morella. I am nowhere near that kind of skill, but it's good to know. I first need to master stringing my own pearls!

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morella View Post
    In my case I used the freeware program Blender to model the design from scratch, then sent the final file to a company who does the wax 3D printing and casting in silver. It was about $25 for the pair in sterling silver in this case.
    What a resource! Thanks for sharing, morella - I'm going try my hand at this at some point too...
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images