Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus pearl

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert smetzler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlshooter View Post
    I know this is a very old thread?
    Not at all, it's very much alive and more intriguing every day. One of the few 'holy grails' in all of pearldom that all the collective resources of this forum cannot manage to grasp.

It has a watery looking nacre with tiger stripes that you can only see under a light. Not easy to photograph.
    Your excellent photograph does not indicate nacre to me. If you have a more favorable close up (now that we know the size) please post.

The price estimate was in the millions but how many I do not know.
    I am envisioning a Nautilus Mite/Pearl of Allah road show and eventual auction extravaganza for the deserving and well-heeled collectors out there.

Your post is greatly appreciated, Pearlshooter.
    Steve
    ============

Default Nautilus pearl

I will post a closer pic that will show the surface when i'm back in the studio on Monday.

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Wow, pearlshooter! We LOVE photographs, so if you can share more, please do, and THANKS!

thou shall read the book Senior Guide Member effisk's Avatar

The price estimate was in the millions but how many I do not know.
    I heard the ask price was 60 000$, but it did not sell.
    I expect the other nautilus pearl mentioned here may be made from the shell??
    No, we're talking about the exact pearl you photographed. I saw Tuesday a picture of two of the nautilus pearls that clearly show the flame pattern. Jeremy saw it too (but says they're clam pearls). I'll ask if I can share that pic on the forum.

First-graft Pearl

Good close-up shots showing flame-like porcelaneous structure. No nacreous structure there it would appear.

Followers of the Nautilus topic may be interested in the following:

http://www.git.or.th/conference/news.html#

Click on - Opening Ceremony and Technical Programs
    (Updated as of February 12,2009)

Then look at the presentation list and refer to the ones at 17:00 - 17:20.

Bangkok anyone?

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

For those who are not sure of what you mean- what is the Bangkok event?

The inner structures of that (brilliant, noteworthy) photo are so beautiful. There are images of a spiral at the poles. It seems to echo the shape of the august nautilus, one of the most beautiful of shells, and the paper nautilus.
    (what a cute creature lives in that paper shell!)
    Last edited by Caitlin; 02-22-2009 at 03:26 AM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl

Hi Caitlin - I thought that the link in my post would have been enough to answer your question, but since you ask here is another link that will probably answer it better than I could:

http://www.git.or.th/conference/home.html

Is that better? Hope it helps.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Interesting that the ID of nautilus (especially vs. Tridacna, a bivalve!) pearls should be so debated! I would have thougt quite the contrary, since the list of creatures that produce columnar nacre(like Nautilus, Haliotis and some gastropods with uncertain pearl-making credentials, but unlike any bivalve) is so limited.

Surely, the columnar versus sheet nacre structures ca be traced in pearls as well as in shells?

The stuff has been researched to death already, so there should be some rich base for the pearl ID application. If anyone should feel inclined to hang a precise label next to the imprecise price tag of the pearl in question, that is.

Whatever the pearl came from, the structure looks magnificent! It could be the ultimate carved porcelain

[sorry for disappearing - again! - I'll be on the road for a couple of weeks]

Thanks for the great images, Pearlshooter. The pearl is a miniature universe of great beauty! But whoever ends up with it will need to display it under permanent magnification. Seems obvious to me that the pearl is calcareous with intricate, symmetrical and harmonious flame, whatever the origin.
    Steve
    ============

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Pardon my stupidity, but what causes the flame pattern?
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by knotty panda View Post
    what causes the flame pattern?
    As a start, here's a nice overview found on Palagems.com in describing Melo-Melo pearls:

Flame Structure ? One of the most attractive features of melo pearls is their fiery flame structure. On some pearl surfaces there is a regular pattern of parallel elongated striations that impart a silky sheen. In some specimens distinct microscopic ?flames? can be observed that are actually thin lamellae. The lamellae are almost parallel to one another and when sometimes perpendicular to the axis of the pearl result in a ?pseudo-chatoyancy? effect. Pearls with a distinct flame structure have a ?watered silk? appearance towards the periphery of the sphere. In cases where a mottled texture of white or brown spots occurs, the flame structure is coarse and difficult to resolve to the unaided eye. These pearls tend to exhibit dimpled surface features.
    I'm on a plane headed home and will also be rereading Hubert Bari 'The Pink Pearl' this evening. There is a Gems and Gemology/GIA article accessible to members only that should also be worth reading.
    Steve
    ============

thou shall read the book Senior Guide Member effisk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orient View Post
    Good close-up shots showing flame-like porcelaneous structure. No nacreous structure there it would appear.

Followers of the Nautilus topic may be interested in the following:

http://www.git.or.th/conference/news.html#

Click on - Opening Ceremony and Technical Programs
    (Updated as of February 12,2009)

Then look at the presentation list and refer to the ones at 17:00 - 17:20.

Bangkok anyone?
    Am I the only one not able to access the link?

Nice closeups pearlshooter! I love the spiral pattern Caitlin mentions, I never noticed it before.

Quote Originally Posted by effisk View Post

Nice closeups pearlshooter! I love the spiral pattern Caitlin mentions, I never noticed it before.
    Yes I shot the "underside" just for interest sake.. I t looks like the Cauldron for the fire!

Administrator Senior Member

I can't access the link today. I did access it yesterday. So that program is from the Bangkok event.

I got out my nautilus shell today and looked at it carefully. the outside of the shell displays a very similar pattern to the photo above. I think someone called it "tiger stripes" which seems more accurate than "flame pattern" in this case.
    There is a band of iridescent nacre and there is some porcelaineous lining inside the shell. Now what would cause a pearl to form in a nautilus shell? That one looks like it was spun into being.