Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Thread?

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin Williams
    It isn't a problem with the thread, it's a problem with the amethyst.
    I disagree. I think it's a problem with the design. I've been steering clear of this thread because I felt my opinion would offend Cindy and I didn't want to do that.

If you're set on that design, use different amethysts that will accommodate the thread. Save the amethyst you're using for a wire-wrapping project.

You said you used micro-crimps when you returned it to your customer. Don't be surprised to get it back again. If the beads are that heavy, micro-crimps won't hold it and you said you were having problems with crimps at the start of the thread.

It's just like cooking, chocolate covered-salmon wouldn't be a good idea and perhaps this design needs rethinking.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

cindyclark

Default I'm Not Giving Up

Well, my customers are just adoring my keishis mixed with the gems, and of course the bigger the stones the better, so I can't give up. I have learned a few things.
    1. For the really heavy designs, where a customer wants lots of stones on a 20 inch necklace of huge keishis, I am having them knotted on wire that is covered in string. So far, so good. It seems to be only one style of Amethysts from one vendor which is a big problem. I sorted them and am using the ones with rough edges for some chain designs with wire wrapping.
    2. Some customers are just really rough on their jewelry and require a heavy duty technique no matter the design.
    3. Keishis will cut silk.
    4. Knotting and french wire is studier than bead tips without knots.
    5. I am subbing out more of my work. Sometimes it pays to hire out to an expert stringer. My company is really growing so I can't keep up with the selling, designing and stringing. Plus, it is killing my eyes.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Hi Cindy
    Thanks for reporting in. Good luck! It is great you can hire out the stringing-what a relief, huh?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

drea

Hi Cindy

This is exactly the kind of problem Power Pro thread is useful for.

It drapes as well as silk. The only problem it it is rough on the hands after a couple of hundred knots. My sis-in-law actually got her hangnail caught in it and it made it worse.

Nevertheless, this is my very favorite for most of my pearls.

Hi Caitlin,
    just a quick tip with regards to knotting hundreds of knots.. I often knot for extended periods of time, and after days of doing that everyone knows what your fingers will feel like. I actually found a tape that works wonders with protecting your fingers and not affecting your work when it's necessary.

I use a tape called 'Transpore' or 'Silk Tape' made by 3M to wrap around my fingers doing the knotting. The tape is actually a medical tape, which rips really well allowing you to get small or big pieces to wrap your fingers with. You can find this tape at any medical supply store..(A friends mom is a nurse and recommended it.. works wonders!)

I personally haven't used the Power Pro thread, as I use silk, but I'm sure it'll work just as well! Hope this helps!

Hi Drea
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. I occasionally think I should tape my fingers, then I forget, probably because regular tape is so heavy.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

drea

In all honesty, I wouldn't try regular tape... I've tried it when desperate, and it didn't work! Granted at that point my fingers were so sore that I would try just about anything. This tape is nice because it's more similar to fabric in texture, and with it being medical tape it's much more flexible. I find smaller pieces work better.

I am looking online even as we write.
    Caitlin

drea

I'm lucky in that I got mine from my friends mom, but I asked her and she said any medical supply company would carry that tape as it's pretty common. It's a saving grace for me when I'm stringing large orders.. I'll look online and see what I can also come up with for you.

drea

This is a link to the company that makes it, and a reference to the tape I've mentioned.. Hopefully I've posted this right.. http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I have 2 different kinds here that I use, off the top of my head I don't remember which I liked better as I use whatever I can find first. I did just check though and the silk tape is made by Johnson and Johnson.
    Last edited by drea; 10-07-2007 at 11:37 PM.

drea

I am looking online even as we write.
    Caitlin,
    did you manage to find your tape? I looked around for a bit, but most of what I found was being sold in larger lots..

Drea

Hi Drea
    That's what I found too. So I am going to go to a medical supply store- soon.
    Caitlin

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Interesting thread. Never needed to tape my fingers. Got some nice callouses though on my little fingers on the outside of the first knuckle joint. Has anyone tried quilting tape? Just a thought. It's quite good for other beading tasks without leaving a residue and is easily removed. Also, what about those rubber fingertips available at office supply stores. May be more durable and less cumbersome than tape. Just a thought.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Default tape and thread

I have had cracks and splits on my fingers from large amounts of knotting or knotting on dandyline or parachute cord: they will cut your fingers. I use cheap translucent tape, narrow type. Any medical tape absorbs dirt and grime from the air and around you so I could never get it to last well. Cheap scotch tape is thinner and more flexible, it doesn't crack, slick for the cord to slide over it well, applies and removes easily, and you can get 4 rolls for a dollar.

A 3rd pearl

drea

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd pearl
    I have had cracks and splits on my fingers from large amounts of knotting.. I use cheap translucent tape, narrow type. Any medical tape absorbs dirt and grime from the air and around you so I could never get it to last well. Cheap scotch tape is thinner and more flexible, it doesn't crack, slick for the cord to slide over it well, applies and removes easily, and you can get 4 rolls for a dollar.
    hi knotty..
    I've never tried quilting tape, to be honest with you I didn't know there was such a thing (can you tell I'm not a quilter!!) I couldn't imagine using those rubber things you can get at an office supply store! I'd think they would be quite bulky and hard to knot with.. funny thought though!

3rd pearl,
    I've had the same thing happen to my fingers with lots of knotting.. I've never had a problem with the medical tape.. I wonder if you tried a different type or maybe its where you put it on..? (pardon the pun) The type I use is far less bulky and much more flexible than regular tape.. just my 2 cents though..

I guess I don't understand where the cracks are happening. Like I said, I have some callouses, but nothing to write home about. I can see where using the synthetics would give you problems. Just another thought here, there is a tendency to make knotting a test of strength when it really isn't. Maybe using a lighter touch would help some.